Submit

Who would win?
  Alexander the Great
  Musashi
  The Lock Ness Monster
View Results

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:12 pm
So I've been reading and reflecting on some essays about heroism in my english class. I'm expected to write an in-class thesis paper on "my" hero on Monday.

I have two people that I want to write about, but I'm not completely sold on the two people I'm thinking (Alexander the Great or Musashi) I would LIKE to do Karl Marx, however he was more of a leader and philosopher than a hero(not a hero in epic proportions anyway.)

So I was wondering if people would tell me who their heros (not idols, not people that you greatly respect, but actual heros. Someone who has been able go beyond the scope of normal human abillity to attain or acomplish something great,) and that it might inspire me and help me get through this essay.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:40 pm
If Alexander the Great was a hero, then Napoleon Bonaparte was too.  

-Isel-

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 pm
As was Hannibal, Calligula, some could even argue Hitler was, depending on how far to the left or right you are.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:30 pm
Rellik San
As was Hannibal, Calligula, some could even argue Hitler was, depending on how far to the left or right you are.

Caligula wasn't a hero. He was a crazed emperor.  

-Isel-

Kristoya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:46 pm
How about Elizabeth I? She did a helluva lot in Britain in a time when women were allowed to do nothing.

OR OR OR. MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT.
But she didn't really DO anything....
She just totally pwned Rousseau on a daily basis.
Nevermind.

Hm... I don't really have "heroes" if you're not counting people for whom I harbor great amounts of respect.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:51 pm
Sylvia Plath...All the s**t she dealt with greatly impressed me. Though I don't agree that sticking your head in an oven is very heroic (nor does it solve anything).  

rainkisses

5,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:53 pm
Isel
If Alexander the Great was a hero, then Napoleon Bonaparte was too.

He's a hero to the french people. And an epic one (according to the criteria of the assignment) he set out to do something, for the benifit and well being of his country and accomplished it.

I mean, you're free to disagree with this particular definition of "heroism." I can't say I agree 100% with it either, because I believe that a true hero is still humble after all the great things the accomplish. However, argueing with the assignment in question isn't going to maintain my Honor Roll status, now will it?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:03 pm
Rellik San

I'm one of the people who would make that argument. Hitler was easily one of the better leaders of the century. He was able to bring Germany out of the worst depression that any country as ever seen.  

Deadside Dreams

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:15 pm
Deadside Dreams
Rellik San

I'm one of the people who would make that argument. Hitler was easily one of the better leaders of the century. He was able to bring Germany out of the worst depression that any country as ever seen.

Well it's common knowlege that starting a war gets the economy moving after a depression. But his methods of fighting said war were not well... >.> Let's just say that he should have been an artist.

The way he waged war was well... stupid. He faught "all or none" battles, and in the end LOST everything. Some historians and scholars believe that if he had kept some millitary power in reserve, and had a "plan B" if you will, he would have won the european chapter of WWII.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 pm
Anyway, I asked my brother and he suggest Michael Collins of Ireland.

I'm going to look into it, because I love radicals.

But still, please keep pouring the ideas out!  

Silly_Doll

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:24 am
What about William Wallace... he led the Scottish out of being repressed by the British, using an army of what amounted too farmers and crafts men.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:11 am
Vlad the Impaler (the base for Bram Stokers Dracula) is considered a hero among his own people, still today. While he was very vicious in what he did, yet he is revered for keeping his country safe for many years.  

DarkPrincesa

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:45 am
Rellik San
What about William Wallace... he led the Scottish out of being repressed by the British, using an army of what amounted too farmers and crafts men.

I have a couple of friends who decended from the Hamelton Clan, and they almost took over the known world...

But I might stick with Michael Collins, because my nationalism tends to side more with my Irish roots than my Scottish. Besides... I just come from the Kirk Clan, who were nothing more than bastards and theives... but pretty much the coolest clan around... next to the Hamelton's.

Plus my geat grand fathers were involved with Young Ireland and it's liberation. But thanks for the suggestion!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:00 am
Personally I lean towards the third choice. The contestant that most people know the least about. A close personal friend of mine. That's right the lock ness "monster" a.k.a. Nessie. Nessie owns both the other contestants. Hands, fins, claws, paws, wings, or whatever appeals to you most, down Nessie you rock!!!  

Racer Q

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:14 am
What about Hannibal?

The barbarian leader who brought rome to its knees?  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff