Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
Instant Messaging Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is instant messaging shortcuts turning people into unintelligent morons?
  Yes
  No
  I'm not really sure.
View Results

YoTeAmo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:31 pm
I'm sure that you've all had to read instant messages or text messages. I'm ok with a few of the codes like "POS" which stands for "Parents over shoulder" because, obviously, the person who typed the message couldn't exactly type that out. However, the tolerance ends when people start saying instant messaging words. I nearly died about a week ago when a boy in my algebra class actually said "L-O-L" which was followed by "O-M-G-W-E". I personally thought he sounded very unintelligent. You know you have lost brain cells from typing "IM" words when you begin to say them. I was actually confused with what he had said even though I have been reading my friend's conversations, which are all written in "IM" words sadly, for years. I've never actually heard someone say those words before that day. What are your thoughts about "text" or "IM" talk?

Decoding:
Lol--Laught out loud.
Omg w/e--Oh my gosh! Whatever!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 pm
This has been over-discussed to the point of extinction.  

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

SonarP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:00 am
D: What about those who are literate and say the words, too?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:20 am
Uhhh, people ACTUALLY spell out acronyms in real life? For non- comedy purposes?

I'm not sure whether I should laugh at them or pity them.....  

Seabutcher

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:11 am
When someone says to me "W-U-U-2" in speech, they'll have my foot through their bottom jaw. Up until that day, I can tolerate it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:01 am
When the MSN talk starts becoming vocabulary in normal speech, you know something had gone wrong. I am only guilty for saying 'lawl'...and hopefully I won't start spelling out 'L-O-L' and other similar words  

-Melllz=)-

Yo Sereno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:13 am
YoTeAmo
I'm sure that you've all had to read instant messages or text messages. I'm ok with a few of the codes like "POS" which stands for "Parents over shoulder" because, obviously, the person who typed the message couldn't exactly type that out. However, the tolerance ends when people start saying instant messaging words. I nearly died about a week ago when a boy in my algebra class actually said "L-O-L" which was followed by "O-M-G-W-E". I personally thought he sounded very unintelligent. You know you have lost brain cells from typing "IM" words when you begin to say them. I was actually confused with what he had said even though I have been reading my friend's conversations, which are all written in "IM" words sadly, for years. I've never actually heard someone say those words before that day. What are your thoughts about "text" or "IM" talk?

Decoding:
Lol--Laught out loud.
Omg w/e--Oh my gosh! Whatever!

WHen my friends and I use them, its usually for the humor factor that its rediculous to say them in real life. We all know what the letters mean, what the person means to say, why they said it, and see the humor in it as well.

Mostly though, we will use the LOL, WTF, and OMG. Of course, we all know it isnt proper to use them in regular speech, but thats why we use them, because it is funny just using them.

Its not ebcause we use them to substitute what we mean. Its for the humor of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:04 pm
YoTeAmo
I'm ok with a few of the codes like "POS" which stands for "Parents over shoulder" because, obviously, the person who typed the message couldn't exactly type that out.

And here I thought "POS" stood for "piece of s**t"... rolleyes  

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

iCrayon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:04 pm
What's the point of saying "LOL" when you can actually laugh (out loud)?
neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:21 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Personally, I say "ROFL" rather than actually roll on the floor laughing. I'm a teacher, not a nutcase! rofl
I say it like "Raw-full."

Click  

XxJennessaxX

XxJennessaxX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:22 am
rae-chan-sensei
YoTeAmo
I'm ok with a few of the codes like "POS" which stands for "Parents over shoulder" because, obviously, the person who typed the message couldn't exactly type that out.

Ooh, good one! rofl
Click  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:18 pm
XxJennessaxX
rae-chan-sensei
YoTeAmo

Ooh, good one! rofl
Click

...No, that's seriously the only way I've ever seen it used. But then again, when I actually used to use instant messangers my friends and I were all old enough to not need constant parental supervison, so it's probably just something I never came across.  

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

Yo Cole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:28 am
well....Im not unused to it. ^^; *sweatdrops* One of my friends says "O-M-G" alot. XD its kind of just become a cute little quirk of her. but still, she speaks literately (is that a word? I unno. o_o) almost all the time. She only says "O-M-G" when she's overly excited about something. >_>  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:09 pm
Reminds me of the boy in my Spanish class who talks in chatspeak.

Though my friends and I do talk in ChatSpeak, but just to mock them.  

poetic pink flamingos!

YoTeAmo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:14 am
rae-chan-sensei
YoTeAmo

It might be used that way. It depends on the way you say it. I've only seen it used as "parents over shoulder" when my friends type it to me.  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff