Submit

Do you sew?
  Yes
  No
  A little - patches and buttons and such
View Results

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:24 pm
I am taking a break from sewing my first project alone after a particularly difficult section. I'll post a picture when I am finished.

I am getting into because I want to be able to create own outfits and make less expensive versions of shirts I love. Its seems the more I love a shirt, the more expensive it is. I am a perfectionist though and nervous I will get frustrated.

How many here sew?
Why did you start?
Was your first couple pieces a little messed up?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 pm
{picture when finished}  

DarkPrincesa

DMSeraphim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:29 pm
I sew when I need to, although I made my own kimono a few years ago. That was crazy, mostly because the cloth measurments weren't normal. I've also done other things like crochet and latchook.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:39 pm
I've been looking for patches of wolves and other things to sew onto my bookbag 3nodding DIY is fun.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:45 pm
DMSeraphim
I sew when I need to, although I made my own kimono a few years ago. That was crazy, mostly because the cloth measurments weren't normal. I've also done other things like crochet and latchook.

OMG my sister would go crazy over a kimono. Did you work off a pattern? If so what company and # (if you recall) I would love to try and make her one.

I tried crocheting, but another sister of mine threw away about 5-10 hours of work by accident. We were sharing a room and she thought it was a trash bag... she fell really bad, but I've never had the heart to get into it again.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:59 pm
ive worked with a needle since i was 8
(making clothes for my stuffed animals:] )

and up to now i sew things onto skirts,make skirts,adjust shirts,jackets all that jazz.

my mother never allows me to use the sewing machine though

so it takes forever -.-

Starfish Attack

ChiRubian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:08 pm
Eternal thoughts, eternal fears...

I'll sew gloves and make repairs, but I break the needle most of the time sweatdrop . It's my mother who does most of our household's sewing.

...eternal dreams, eternal tears.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:38 pm
I love sewing, even though it can be very expensive and time consuming.

Just yesterday I went to the fabric store, and got some really nice fabric and patterns.

I ended up spending $150, but if you examine how many items I'll be able to make, as well as the quality of the things I bought, it's very much worth it.

Over the next few weeks I'll be working on making a black velvet cape lined with red satin, as well as a simple black gown in what I believe to be a traditional Russian style. I also have enough fabric left over to make a black velvet capet and muff set, lined with satin, and possibly a black skirt too.

However, sewing is fun, and when you make your own clothing it becomes uniquely yours, as opposed to being a run-of-the-mill article which thousands of other people are going to own.

Besides, most of the clothing I'd die to own happen to be items from specialty stores which charge a massive amount of money for thier products. I'd much rather pay $50 on fabric and trim than pay $250 for a gown I could easily make. 3nodding  

DreamerSpirit

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:41 pm
Im quite a sewer myself. Started with arm warmers and moved up to button shirts, revamped tee shirts and mending clothes for friends.
Once in a while id sew a new costume for Halloween.

Unforchantly i was recently in a car accident where my sewing machine was flung out the back and smashed up to bits

me da bought me a new sewing machine but it waits back in Rochester so i am unable to get to it for quite some time.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:53 am
I've done a few projects too ^^;; right now I'm working on a celtic inspired doll-like dress coat.

Let's see... I started to make arm warmers by hand when I was oh... 14ish. (everyone made fun of me for it >.> They said they were dumb and that they would never be in style... I SURE AS HELL SHOWED THEM! >:]) And I still do the arm and leg warmers but now I'm working on purses and dresses. Every now and then I'll do a tulle skirt or something with the extra fabric I have left over.  

Silly_Doll

Disease of the Flesh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm
I just made my first armwarmer, laced up like a corset, made with a shiny black fabric that I bought in Rome for 99 cent. 1.5m x 1.5m. Fantastic to work with.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:56 pm
I'm a sewing madwoman. xd I started about 7th grade when I had an idea for a Halloween costume but couldn't find anything close to it in stores. I made my own out of an old Halloween costume's fabric and some safety pins.

I don't sew clothes that often anymore. I normally just buy cool things at thrift stores and Goodwill and then modify them. It's a whole lot cheaper and less time consuming than starting from scratch. Normally when I sew things from scratch now, I'm sewing dolls or doll clothes (they're adorable and I make them for all my friends' birthdays; I'll have to post a picture of one), or I'm sometimes quilting.

I also adore knitting, and I just recently perfected making little knitted bunnies. blaugh  

Kristoya

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:57 pm
I only sew to repair things, I stain the fabric with too much blood otherwise. I'm not very handy with fiddly things involving pointy things.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:59 pm
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

I've sewn patches but thats all, and even that its a shoddy job @_@

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Dante Omura

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:00 pm
The Vampire Ruler
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

I've sewn patches but thats all, and even that its a shoddy job @_@

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Solidarity of the handi-craft challenged? xd