Reply ~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~
RuroKen Philosophy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silverotter107

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:26 pm
"Philosophy: the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct" (dictionary.com).

From all the threads I've read here, people love Rurouni Kenshin because the storyline and art rocks, Kenshin kicks butt, is awesome, and fights to protect, not to kill.

But I think there's something else behind it that we don't give Watsuki enough credit for. You must admit, there is a good deal of philosophy, simple and complex, on living life and such through out Rurouni Kenshin. From both sides, not just Kenshin's or Kaoru's point of view but also the villains'. I beleive that's another reason we all love it, because both sides completely beleive in a series of ideas that they think are true.
What Watsuki is saying to us through (I use 'us' generally) 'Team Kenshin's is true and/or we agree upon it. The fact that someone, like Kenshin, fights so passionately for it and wins continuously, with the aide of his friends, no matter how hard the battle makes us feel (not only entertained) happy and secure. How Kenshin lives, out of all the hardship he's been through and the things he tries to accomplish with a sword by his side, touches us.

Some of you are probably going to say it isn't philosophy, but merely a series of good quotes and plotlines. Personally, I think it's philosophy and that it's a really big reason that we over look/take granted for as to why we love the series so much. What do you all think?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll elaborate. I'm not now because when I try to explain something I tend to contradict myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:19 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Beliefs play a very big part in RK. It's just as Kenshin said in volume seven: "We all fought with our beliefs riding on our swords." To the warriors, the Bakumatsu wasn't about good versus bad, but about each man fighting only for his own beliefs. Some like Kenshin, believed in freedom and equality for all.

Others fought for less noble reasons: Power (Shishio), the thrill of killing (Jinei) or money (Tani Jusanro). Still, their reasons were right in their own eyes.

Kenshin's beliefs, I think, are what allowed him to live on even after Tomoe's death. He knew he had a reason and a mission and that was why he continued on.

Each person throughout RK has their own truth: Kenshin's is to protect. Yahiko's is to follow in Kenshin and Sano's footsteps and protect. Sano's is to knock down all the evil in Japan with his fist and the aku on his back. Kaoru's is to carry on her father's legacy, which is also protecting and Megumi's is to help those in need medically. Saitou's is to instantly get rid of the baddies with his blade.

As he grows older, Himura Kenji's truth unfortunately seems to be more like that of Shishio Makoto, but that is a story for another time.

Sessha wa rurouni, de gozaro yo.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Silverotter107

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:35 pm
Yes, exactly right. Every character in Rurouni Kenshin is driven by his/her own personal beleif. Although that is true for everyone, anime/manga or not, what makes RuroKen different is that it's a/the main driving point of the series. The arcs that make the story are all about Kenshin battling some nefarious villain. And why does he fight? To protect others and to follow his own vows and philosophies on life and how to repent for his murders!

It's not like he's just some swordsman with a horrible past wandering around, sees wrong-doings, goes, "Wtf, you bastards must be stopped!", kicks keikster, and is all hero-ish. Okay... he does... granted my poetic liscenses... And that means I'm contradicting myself. What I'm unsuccessfully trying to word is that he has a deep motif for what he does and those ideas are what seperates him from just being that random swordsman; and what he does/why he does it makes the story; and we all /love/ the story, right? (Yes you all do or you wouldn't be here.)

I don't think we fans give enough credit to Watsuki for making a world/story the way he does it. It's really easily overlooked. Whenever I reread a book, it's funny. Alot of times I just stop for, like, ten minutes and think about what they're saying and/or how they must feel about/react to what's happening and it takes a while for it to really sink in. Then it all becomes a whole new level of cool. We (<- general use) don't realise how much the philosophies play into the plot and characters. You gotta think about it, which most people don't take the time to do sadly enough. (Try it peoples! It really does add that whole new level of cool!!)

If you take the second to pause, it all makes you think. That's what really helps to put RuroKen on its level of greatness. If it weren't for all the philosophies of the characters, it would be just another story strung together with chapters of common characters and an antagonist that has no real essence to it.

And I'm thuoughly dissappointed in what I'm hearing about Kenji. I haven't gotten through the whole series yet or have seen Reflection so I can't really make my own opinion of him yet, but... Ew. I guess a perfect ending would be too simple for Kenshin... and for Watsuki to be satisified with...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:02 pm
Indeed, philosophy is what makes Rurouni Kenshin so great. If not for all of the characters complex beliefs about their world, it would just be an average anime/manga where the main character kicks butt...the end. But Rurouni Kenshin does not fall into this pattern of shallow buttkickingness and I applaud Watsuki greatly for his accompllishments.  

Kuansha

Silverotter107

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 pm
You know, you just said in one paragraph what I've meant to say the whole time in my long, prolix versions.

xd Yes, I agree (obviously). It really does make all the difference.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:35 pm
Silverotter107
You know, you just said in one paragraph what I've meant to say the whole time in my long, prolix versions.

xd Yes, I agree (obviously). It really does make all the difference.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. You brought up some very good, well-thought-out points yourself.  

Kuansha

Silverotter107

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:03 pm
Heh heh, well-thought-out. I'd say that's all it was. One idea in a million sentences. *sigh* I must work on my summarizing skills. But thank you. That makes me feel loads better.

Eh. Am I looking to deeply into this? My friend thinks I'm an absolute loon. She thinks I'm making a big deal about things that aren't even there (or real, for that matter).  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:34 pm
Aye, but this is a big deal and you should be proud of yourself for realizing the true genius behind Watsuki's story (in other words--you aren't a loon)! If your friend cannot find the truth presented within Rurouni Kenshin...Well.... maybe this manga is just too complex for her. (no offense to her, I'm sure she's great [besides the fact that she thinks you're a "absolute loon"])  

Kuansha

Silverotter107

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:56 pm
Thank you. I feel better now.

As for my friend, she opinion on having an anime character (in this case Kenshin) as an idol is really the basis for thinking I'm a li'l crazy. Of course obsessing over a drawing is wrong and unhealthy! But it's not the drawing, it's what it represents and its positive effect. ((As if her love of Johnny Depp is any better.))

Heh heh, this thread is going so off topic. I like the discussion, don't get me wrong, but does know one else have any input on the subject? I mean, really...
xd  
~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff