Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Print-out & iron-on thingers for T-shirts?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mr_smite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:04 pm
Hi, Kochi~Mochi sent me here when I was talking about a project idea.
I've posted already in the Textile forum and got some decent reviews, and this may already have been nipped in the bud before it began, but here goes...

I was pondering some of those print-off and iron-on sheets I've seen at the store. I was curious if anyone's tried them out, how well they hold up, if they look totally crappy?
I've seen some on white t-shirts where the edges of the iron on were clearly visible, people wearing an 8-1/2 X 11" ivory square with their catchy slogan.
And I also see the ones for dark shirts on the same racks. I think the brand was Avery.

But I wanted to find out if anyone here has tried them out, had any luck with them, good or bad experiences, incurable DIY t-shirt related trauma, that sorta thing.

I've been told that the sheet outline is going to be visible regardless of what I do and that they're gonna crack and peel once they're washed. confused

And thanks in advance!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:07 am
My brother used them at one point to make shirts for his Boy Scout patrol, and the designs were really pale and faded. I don't know what particular brand they were, but I don't really know if that matters any. I'd avoid them if possible.

What are you trying to make?  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:08 am
I've used the white ones for a mouse pad once. I'm not sure what brand it was, and it may have been me, but it was really hard to perfect the removal process. Not all of the image would transfer. sad  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:17 am
I have the Avery ink Jet transfers. I had to use them to create multiple flour sack labels for a play.

They transferred just fine as long as you use a really hot iron and only onto cotton.

A few of them we wanted faded and wrinkled - we found that if you can get the transfer to lay completely flat on the shirt it is fairly hard to have it crack and peel off, but if the shirt isn;t completely flat the transfer doesn;t properly adhere and it starts to peel off fairly easily.

Also, the transfer creates a different surface texture from uncovered areas, so I suggest trimming the transfer as close to the printed design as possible. If you have large open spaces on the inside you might want to cut them out too, or just know that they will have a sheen to them.

As for lastability... unfortunatly it seems completely dependent on the initial ironing. If you get a good application from the get go the transfer stays through alot of washings just fine. If the original transfer has any problems (heat too low, shirt wrinkled, shirt dirty, ect) then it starts to flake off almost immediatly.

I do suggest washing your trasfered objects in cold water on the delicate cycle.

As a side note - I keep finding packs of mostly full trasfer sheets at flea markets (probably from some unwitting crafter who got frustrated) and you might be able to find a half full pack to practice with for pocket change. Otherwise they are between 7-10 US dollars for a pack of 5-8 sheets depending on brand and price.

(I love having a job where I get to do crafts for a living... >.<)  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

gemini6184

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:14 am
Another thing you want to remember is that you don't want to put them on a shirt that will be form-fitting, they will crack with the first wearing sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:44 pm
well, it sounds like I'm outta luck for the time being; one of my friends was talking about doing a silk-screen set up, I'm gonna see if she's gotten anywhere on that.
But this was largely for fun and because I'm really picky about clothes whee It was over a year ago I walked into the Urban Outfitters in downtown Burbank and said "What is this!?! I can make better t-shirts than this overpriced crap!"

And now I'm looking into it wink

And thanks again for your help.  

mr_smite

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:42 am
mr_smite
well, it sounds like I'm outta luck for the time being; one of my friends was talking about doing a silk-screen set up, I'm gonna see if she's gotten anywhere on that.
But this was largely for fun and because I'm really picky about clothes whee It was over a year ago I walked into the Urban Outfitters in downtown Burbank and said "What is this!?! I can make better t-shirts than this overpriced crap!"

And now I'm looking into it wink

And thanks again for your help.
Not a problem, good luck!

And that is exactly the reason I started knitting myself so many sweaters sweatdrop in fact I can't look at ANYTHING knitted without going, "i could make that" and if in fact i WOULD, i dont buy it xd  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:03 pm
I've got good results with fabric paint. Either writing with a thin brush or using plastic sheets with letters and symbols cut out of them. Depends on what you're looking for.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:29 pm
Well, if you're just looking to make your own shirts and put designs on them, why not try making stencils and painting the shirts? It's really not hard at all. You can use transparency sheets or even oaktag/poster board to make the stencils. I got pretty good results when I tried it. 3nodding

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:40 pm
DecemberFlower
Well, if you're just looking to make your own shirts and put designs on them, why not try making stencils and painting the shirts? It's really not hard at all. You can use transparency sheets or even oaktag/poster board to make the stencils. I got pretty good results when I tried it. 3nodding

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
jesus christ! eek thats freaking amazing! i could never get fabric paint to look that smooth and even and professional sweatdrop  

gemini6184

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff