Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I'm new and just got into quilting. Help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AvenTate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:00 am
User ImageUser Image
Just did my first quilt project and I think I did everything wrong even if it turned out not half bad. Got any tips to help me along mext time.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:04 pm
I think it looks really nice for your first try. My first quilt was horrible!! eek

I think the biggest tip I could offer is to just make sure you keep it as square as possible!!  

stinky_kitty

AvenTate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:50 am
thanks I tried really hard. I think that is why I would usually give up on the thing before.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:23 am
I'm still working on my first quilt but here's what I've learned:

1) Be patient -- rushing through any part means that it'll take longer in the long run because you'll end up ripping out the seams of 3/4 of what you rushed through.

2) Pressing the fabric is key -- especially when you are sewing two pieces together, it helps them stick together.

3) Don't be afraid to use pins to keep your fabric from wandering as its stitched

4) Be patient -- yeah, I said that already but I mean it. Sewing a scant quarter inch is a major pain in the keester and if you aren't patient you'll screw it up. See #1.

5) Don't put everything off till the last minute. Work on it every day if you can. This applies mostly to taking classes

6) Enjoy the process. It can be tedious but enjoy the tedium and learn from it.  

taligator

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:08 pm
Classes. My mother used to quilt, before arthritis and bad eyesight caught up with her. She often says she never would have stuck with it in the beginning without a teacher, someone to help guide her along and show her what to do.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:21 am
Classes can be very worthwhile if you find a good teacher. I'd suggest finding a quilt shop and taking a class from them -- not a place like Joann's or Michael's.

Also, support the quilt shops with your purchases and keep them in business because they are a valuable resource.  

taligator

Tes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:48 pm
~
It really isn't a half bad beginning.
Many things have already been covered by other posts but this is one that hasn't:
The hearts look sort of as though you weren't freemotion quilting and were rather trying to turn the whole thing around for the curves. Get a darning/free motion/embroidery foot for your machine (looks like this or this), drop or cover your feed dogs and GO, rather than turning what you are quilting you can move it in any direction you want. Practice first but you'll get much smother curves in your quilting designs.

~

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff