Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Cross-Country Stereotypes Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:26 pm
Ok, all countries have their own stereotypes of other nationalities, ethnicities within their coutry, and even what they think of themselves.

Let's share a few and indule in how:
1 obsurd they are to people not from that country
2 have a bit of fun mocking ourselves (cuz that's always a laugh 3nodding )

Ok, I'm English here, and we do seem to see ourselves as being the most polite nation in the world (not true in amny places, but we do have an obession with saying sorry all the damn time, someone walks into an english person, they say sorry for your clumsiness).

Also, we make the best beer in the world

Some stereotypes i've picked up on the english:

Nation of pet lovers! Yep, apparently we treat our pets better then our children. I personally think this is strange, I went to a French resturaunt and someone was feeding their dog from the table, dogs are banned from resturaunts in England so we don't spoil our pets that much!

Umbrellas. Yeah, we're a nation armed to the teeth with umbrellas. True to some extent; you just can't tell when there's gonna be a sudden downpour with our weather.

Tea and scones/crumpets. Are we really seen as eating scones by the ton?! Tea, yes, we drink a hell of a lot of the stuff, but the thought of a scone makes me feel ill.

The English on other nations:

French:

Cheese eating surrender monkeys! Frogs, other insults. The rivalry between Britain and France is a long one, but it's gotten to the point of friendly banter....for the most part.

Germans:

Sausages, lots and lots of sausages. And beer. Fraulines, and big Princess Leia hair...

Canadians:

SNOW. You guys are in winter gear all year round and have to get about in snow mobiles.

Australians:

So much damned sun, you're all perma-tanned, and stupidly good at sports that we invented (cricket, rugby). And you're all the descendents of our criminals rofl

New Zealanders:

Kiwis! And you all love Lord of the Rings. you also have a monopoly on beautiful land.

Americans:

Red-Neck colonialist upstarts. (this could go on for a while..) Americans are usually pictured as arrogant, cocky, and too self confident for such a young coutry by far. You also have your heads in the clauds with all your conspricy theories and Hollywood. And why do you think we all have tea with the Queen?!

Something that I don't understand (from watching many us tv programs), what's this whole thing with Latina people? We don't have these stereotypes in the UK, it's just...odd. Any other really weird stereotypes of ethnic miniorites you don't personally understand?

In the UK: black people are violent gang members or church enthusiats (yes, there are black people in Britain, I got told we don't have any from an American o.O)
Asian people are all from Pakistan, and are job thieves (despite the fact our health system would be crippled if all the non-British nurses were eliminated from the NHS - because British people weren't training for the positions)
All Chinese children are super-smart (they're the top performers in schools, followed by indians).

** This thread is not meant to cause offence, just to highlight the oubsurdities of cross-ethnic and nationality misunderstandings **  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:43 pm
Isobel Bellamy

Canadians:

SNOW. You guys are in winter gear all year round and have to get about in snow mobiles.
Now, now! Just last year I saw a leaf!  

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:35 pm
What about the Japanese?

And why just Chinese children? Do they suffer from intelligence loss as they grow old?

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:14 pm
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

Cubans: excellant swimnmers, its true but don't just assume it lol

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Dante Omura

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:23 pm
Isobel Bellamy
In the UK: black people are violent gang members or church enthusiats (yes, there are black people in Britain, I got told we don't have any from an American o.O)

Yeah, I get surprised by the amount of american people who say there aren't any African-Americans in Europe.......basically because we didn't naturally migrate to the US.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:39 pm
MortSanglant
What about the Japanese?

And why just Chinese children? Do they suffer from intelligence loss as they grow old?

User Image

Because they are used to maths and taking orders because all Chinese people run restraunts or chippy's. Where as the Japanese run toy stores in back alleys that sell toys of naked girls and DVD's of cartoon 12 year olds being raped by demons.... if you beleive the daily mail.  

Rellik San
Crew

cold.wire.lips

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:44 pm
mmm, demon rape.

let's talk about chav.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:02 pm
.+Melanthios+.
Isobel Bellamy

Yeah, I get surprised by the amount of american people who say there aren't any African-Americans in Europe.......basically because we didn't naturally migrate to the US.
there are a lot of black people in the UK  

The Dadalorian

cold.wire.lips

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:23 pm
Chaos A.D.
.+Melanthios+.
Isobel Bellamy

really?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:17 pm
cold.wire.lips
Chaos A.D.
.+Melanthios+.
Isobel Bellamy

really?
And I just thought they were turning the Pubs into mosques for the hell of it. stare  

Rellik San
Crew

nerdlover08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:21 pm
I love this thread already biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:56 pm
Rellik San
cold.wire.lips
Chaos A.D.
.+Melanthios+.
Isobel Bellamy

really?
And I just thought they were turning the Pubs into mosques for the hell of it. stare

uh, mosques are Islamic places of worship. i fail to see the correlation.  

cold.wire.lips

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:11 pm
i had a black Muslim English friend

he was a bouncer at a goth club, he got shot twice in the spine and died

yes there are black people in england

hell, there are black amish people

Canadians are maple syrup slurping, hockey playin, lumber jack types who are missing teeth and drink bad beer.

^_^http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJLe8cw7d4  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:20 pm
Nyed
i had a black Muslim English friend

he was a bouncer at a goth club, he got shot twice in the spine and died

...that's horrible.

mosques =/= black population, though, was the point.  

cold.wire.lips

asdfjklsemicolon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:37 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Australians:

So much damned sun, you're all perma-tanned

lol I'm not tanned. Unless someone (like school D:<) forces me to stay in the sun...but then I get burnt. Which is no fun.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff