Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Books from classes Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Required course books
  Love them!!
  Hate 'em.
  Either way. I've had both.
  Free gold.
View Results

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:05 pm
Were there ever any books you had to read for a class that you absolutely loved/hated? I have a Dirty Realism and White Trash Fiction course and I've got one of each. I wanted to shoot the author of Ironweed, but even though it has me making a "What the hell...? Me no understand," face constantly, I love Trailerpark so far. Anything?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 pm
Never read any book written by a woman called Purkiss.  

Adrianah

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:51 am
I had AP English Literature last year, and I read Wuthering Heights for the first time. It is now one of my favorites.
On the other hand, in that same class, I had to read Absalom, Absalom!, which was HORRIBLE. I suppose that I just don't understand Faulkner, but I hated that book.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:48 pm
I loved 'To Kill a MockingBird' and i so loathed 'Of Mice and Men'

Kittenfleas

Ruthless Fatcat

9,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Overstocked 200

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:58 pm
oh! I loved 'Of Mice and Men!' But, my class had that read to us, and maybe my experience would have been different if I had read it myself.
'To Kill a Mockingbird' was great!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:12 pm
dorkifiedchick
I had AP English Literature last year, and I read Wuthering Heights for the first time. It is now one of my favorites.
On the other hand, in that same class, I had to read Absalom, Absalom!, which was HORRIBLE. I suppose that I just don't understand Faulkner, but I hated that book.

I'm just starting Wuthering Heights in my AP Lit class right now! Did you read The Awakening?  

Citizen Lumos

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:47 am
lunas_maximus
dorkifiedchick

I'm just starting Wuthering Heights in my AP Lit class right now! Did you read The Awakening?

No, I haven't. Is it good? What's it about?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:39 pm
In my honors English class last year we read To Kill a Mockingbird and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I loved--Of Mice and Men is in that Category too-- But we also read A Separate Peace and Les Miserables. Les Miserables was okay, but... Well, I never acrually finished it, so I should probably try again.  

Serein Wolfe

-la reine des gitans-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:33 pm
I suppose, technically, Romeo and Juliet is a play but we read it last year in Honors English and I fell in love again for the 8th time. I even got to act out Act V with the love of my life, so that made it possibly more enjoyable!

I have a very vague memory of Of Mice and Men. I thought it was very simple. I don't quite understand what all the fuss was about, it being a classic and all. Wasn't it on the banned book list? It just didn't. . . impress me.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites! I would have loved it more if my teacher hadn't pestered us with all these questions to answer. She always over-analyzed everything. Why can't we just enjoy the book?

The Crucible. Anyone read that as a summer assignment or anything? That's what I did this past summer and I didn't like it very much. It seemed like a lot of crap over nothing, or very little.

Now we're reading The Great Gatsby and it's my favorite so far. However, this teacher as well is bothering us by reading it aloud in class. I think it wastes a lot of time. I'd much rather just settle in and read it all in one sitting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:13 pm
Enheritance
I loved 'To Kill a MockingBird' and i so loathed 'Of Mice and Men'

I loved Of Mice and Men, another good read was Caddie Woodlawn way back in sixth grade, and The Outsiders. The Lord of the Flies was kind of dull, though.  

Carsayzlyum

2,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Brandisher 100

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:43 am
I liked OF Mice and Men. Lord of the Flies was...okay, I guess. It was kind of disturbing. I absolutely hated Oh Pioneers! though.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:38 pm
Of Mice and Men is one of my least favorite books of all time. I hate the message it sends, that there's no point in hoping for the best, because life will just screw things up. To Kill a Mockingbird was good, and Yellow Raft in Blue Water was okay. I enjoyed some of the short stories we read this year, especially "Janus", but I can't remember who wrote them...  

Amphion

ChinoikeJigoku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 pm
I love a wide variety of books. I liked Lord of the Flies, To Kill A Mockingbird, and The Great Gatsby.

I disliked The Pearl and All Quiet on the Western Front.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:23 pm
I had to read a couple of good books for my hi-cap class last year. They are as follows: Children of the River, After the War, Night, Homeless Bird, The Adventures of Ulysses, and the play "Julius Ceasar". The book I really didn't like was Pearl Harbor or something like that. I can't remember the entire title. It was really long and boring becuase it was more of a documentation than a book  

Scythes R Us

Zoe green eyes

4,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:47 pm
dorkifiedchick

I agree! Wuthering Heights was a very good book. I recently got to see the old black and white version on TCM and that was pretty good too.
The book I most hated reading for English AP was Great Expectations. It was so long and drawn out. I love reading but I also like them to move along a little faster then a snail.  
Literature

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff