Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What is our world coming to? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it right for an English teacher to say this to a student?
  Of course. They are teachers.
  Heck no! It's an English teacher for Pete's sake!
View Results

Korrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:48 pm
I got really freaked out today. It's not even funny.

My school allows "txt-talk". Well, In Global we were talking notes like always, but my teacher started "txt-talking". I saw many notes on her desk in "txt-talk" and in many essays I have seen, kids wrote in "txt-talk".

That's not my problem. My problem is, My English teacher asked me why I don't "txt-talk".

My teacher said,
Quote:
Why don't you write like the other kids? It's much more easier to write like that. So far I have only seen you and another kid still write "old-school". How about you try writing like the other kids. It will be less work for you.

Can you believe that?! I told her I would rather stick with writing the right way. It is easier for me to write the right way (ah! tounge twister).

Can you tell me what I should do? Is it OK for me to still write the right way? Or should I switch to make other people happy? (I really don't want to do that.)

What is our world coming to?!
-Korrey-  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:56 pm
I can't vote here... simple because I don't agree with either option.

I'm not saying that I agree with "txt tlk" - quite the opposite in fact! What I will say is that using abbreviations or anything else in class to take notes shouldn't be a bad thing, as it makes things quicker when in lectures, and you can always copy it up neatly later. I'm pretty sure there's a proper name for shortening things for note taking, but I've forgotten what it is. Here is an example:

Henry 8th, 6 wives, born [date], died [date], made divorces poss.

Etc. etc. etc.

Kay.

PS. Hope I made that clear. I may possibly have confused you even more... *hides*  

KayJuran

Korrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:05 pm
KayJuran

I'm not saying that I agree with "txt tlk" - quite the opposite in fact! What I will say is that using abbreviations or anything else in class to take notes shouldn't be a bad thing, as it makes things quicker when in lectures, and you can always copy it up neatly later. I'm pretty sure there's a proper name for shortening things for note taking, but I've forgotten what it is. Here is an example:

Etc. etc. etc.

Kay.

PS. Hope I made that clear. I may possibly have confused you even more... *hides*

I wasn't complaining about the notes. I was complaining about how my English teacher was saying I should write essays, and everything else in "txt-talk". That's what I don't agree with. I wanted to see what other people thought about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:10 pm
Write them however you feel comfortable. "txt tlk" makes me want to vomit. domokun  

Hot Coma Wife

KayJuran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:30 am
Korrey
KayJuran

Etc. etc. etc.

Kay.

I wasn't complaining about the notes. I was complaining about how my English teacher was saying I should write essays, and everything else in "txt-talk". That's what I don't agree with. I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

Right... in that case, no I don't agree that essays should be written like that. In fact, I would have thought that you would lose marks in examinations, coursework etc. for having "txt tlk" in essays. It's hard enough to get marks in essays sometimes without having to worry about spelling, so teachers probably should work on that.

Anyway, write how you feel, but I'd prefer the correct way.

Kay.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:42 am
When teachers speak "txt tlk" next Ophra. (Did I spell her name correctly?)

You should never allow anyone to pressure you into doing anything that is against your beliefs or that makes you feel uncomfortable. That goes for writing, speaking and typing in Text Talk or Leet.  

Hirashio

Queen of the Blue Twins

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 am
I have to say as mom -- if my child came home and told me what you just had I'd be at the school the next morning demanding a conference with that teacher, the department head, and principle.

Txt-tlk in essays!?! What in the world is she thinking? Is she even accredited to be teaching English or did they stuff her somewhere to fill a spot?

I have a friend that is an English teacher and she said (when her jaw returned from the floor and she came out of shock) "That woman needs to be fired, because she is obviously in the wrong profession."

My college professor for Eng Comp II (I just got out of class) had pretty much the same reaction.

Yeah, I'd be freaking out right now too. Write however makes you comfortable. And is she makes a real issue out of it take it to your Mom or the administration for your school. This is just WRONG on soooo many levels.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:35 am
I am really outraged right now. I simply cannot believe that a teacher would say something like that. If I was in your place, I would have told that ignorant, farce of a teacher that she was a shame to English teachers everywhere. And I wouldn't stop there. I would tell her it was wrong of her and she should stop allowing the atrocities of text talk in her classroom. I would even tell her that she deserves to be reported! To the principal, and to a newspaper and television as well. Something like that deserves to be the highlight of the evening edition!  

Yokushi

x_Chromatic Zelda_x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:38 pm
Your English said that?

That is very sad. Enough said.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:51 pm
Well, I don't see a problem with shortening things for the sake of notes, nor that the teacher can read it. I see a problem with the fact that it is now widely accept form of communication. It makes me very sick indeed.  

HarlequinGoddess

kirb-sama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:16 pm
Quote:
The world is ending! Everybody RUN!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:52 pm
Wow, what a horrible teacher. She might not have fit in when she was young and now she wants to by text-talking.  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

baby_dragonite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:01 pm
Um, how does she expect you to get into college?, or get a job?, or earn the respect from your peers? @_@!!!! Good grammer is required on a resumes, college applications and essays!!!!!AHHHH!!! The world is ending!! crying  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:27 pm
It could be that your teacher does not want or expect her students to attend college.

Or it could be a test. You passed by not settling for mediocrity!

Or if she's really unpopular and campaigns for "txt tlk," it will make make people hate it. Whichever way, she sounds like a bad teacher. Or not a teacher at all.

Or maybe it's all a really funny joke! Eh heh. Ah.  

Gachetemas

Korrey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:57 pm
I made up my mind and I will write the way I want. The proper way.
I am trying to make it to Juliard College of Music and Performing Arts.
That is the best musical school in the USA.
I am hoping that my teacher next year isn't like the one I have this year.
-Korrey-  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces