Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
English teachers who can't spell. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:54 pm
I'm currently a high school senior and my 11th grade teacher often misspelled words. It got me angry because here is a person who is teaching me English and everything and she doesn't take the time to check her spelling! I would understand a regular English teacher but she teaches the honors students for God's sake!

Am I being too harsh or is it well deserved?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:31 pm
My English professor (in college, if you didn't get it) said "snap" today:

"snap, I found a box a' chalk."

English teachers are not infallible. They do not try to be. Grammar and spelling are the least of most of these people's concerns; expression is what matters.  

The Man who was Thursday

Yokushi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:17 am
What you should do is speak up. When you see a misspelled word, speak up and point it out. It doesn't matter how many times the teacher makes mistakes. You shouldn't be rude, of course. But you should politely point out every word you spy that is incorrectly spelled.
And maybe the teacher will get tired of you always doing this and they will actually start to pay more attention when the write. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:55 am
Well, they are entittled to speak their own way. You dont go into an English class and start speaking like "By God! I thought you had gone to lunch!" when you normally woudl say "Damn- thought you'd gone to lunch!". Speech is actually a whole new section you dont want to start in.. But writing is a bit different as well. Maybe shes goign too fast and occasionally skipped a letter or get jumbled. I do that sometimes. I have to stop.. go back.. okay, that was wrong.. okay, I see how I did that, and then move on.

My mom does it with Math as well. Shes a math teacher, and occasionally she will add when she needed to multiply. She always catches it or the kids catch it.

My English professor (college as well), once said "DAMN!" outloud. I mean almost yelled it. Even though it IS college, and you can say those things, its only from our CULTURE that we think they arent. We all laughed though because it was a rare thing- a teacher, cursed, aloud, and after wards he didnt say "Oh no sorry!". No, he just laughed as well.  

Yo Sereno

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:27 am
Yo Sereno
Well, they are entittled to speak their own way. You dont go into an English class and start speaking like "By God! I thought you had gone to lunch!" when you normally woudl say "Damn- thought you'd gone to lunch!". Speech is actually a whole new section you dont want to start in.. But writing is a bit different as well. Maybe shes goign too fast and occasionally skipped a letter or get jumbled. I do that sometimes. I have to stop.. go back.. okay, that was wrong.. okay, I see how I did that, and then move on.

My mom does it with Math as well. Shes a math teacher, and occasionally she will add when she needed to multiply. She always catches it or the kids catch it.

My English professor (college as well), once said "DAMN!" outloud. I mean almost yelled it. Even though it IS college, and you can say those things, its only from our CULTURE that we think they arent. We all laughed though because it was a rare thing- a teacher, cursed, aloud, and after wards he didnt say "Oh no sorry!". No, he just laughed as well.

:/

My high school teachers said damn all the time. Damn isn't that bad.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:37 am
Yokushi
What you should do is speak up. When you see a misspelled word, speak up and point it out. It doesn't matter how many times the teacher makes mistakes. You shouldn't be rude, of course. But you should politely point out every word you spy that is incorrectly spelled.
And maybe the teacher will get tired of you always doing this and they will actually start to pay more attention when the write. wink

He would probably get mad at him and tell him to get out of his class if he did it too many times. rolleyes
(If he's a mean guy)  

kirb-sama

Punkghoul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:43 am
I do NOT think you're being too hard on them. But I promise that you will regret it if you speak out. Teachers do NOT like to be corrected, especially from a kid in front of the entire class. I have had a lot of teachers that made mistakes like that. I suppose it just depends on whether or not it is mistake that is repeated. For example, if your teacher spells a word incorrectly EVERY SINGLE TIME? Yes. You definately need to speak up. Just make sure you don't do it with a smart a** attitude. That will REALLY piss them off. stare  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:45 am
Mis-fit
I do NOT think you're being too hard on them. But I promise that you will regret it if you speak out. Teachers do NOT like to be corrected, especially from a kid in front of the entire class. I have had a lot of teachers that made mistakes like that. I suppose it just depends on whether or not it is mistake that is repeated. For example, if your teacher spells a word incorrectly EVERY SINGLE TIME? Yes. You definately need to speak up. Just make sure you don't do it with a smart a** attitude. That will REALLY piss them off. stare

That's good advice, just what I was going for, just yours was better. redface  

kirb-sama

Yokushi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:08 pm
mmhh....I've corrected teachers tons of times, including my English teacher. None of them ever got mad at me. And it would be an injustice if they kicked you out just because the teacher is too dumb and keeps making mistakes.
But I guess what the others say could be true as well...I suppose if you don't want the teacher to be mad at you you can just say nothing and let the ignorance continue. Just as well anyways, it's not you making the mistake it's the teacher. So who cares, I mean, it doesn't matter that the students will be taught wrong. As long as the teacher doesn't get at you, it's all good.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:39 pm
I think people should be able to speak how they wish, so long as they aren't too offensive. They could use slang, expletives like damn and hell, whatever.

But if you're an English teacher and you MISSPELL words, that is AWFUL.
I know English these days places a much greater emphasis on "expression" and not form and grammar, but I think there still has to be a spotless example to be followed, even if it isn't taught like it used to be in spelling and grammar tests, etc. Reading an English teacher's work that contains errors, or getting an essay back with spelling and grammar errors uncorrected, means that some students may never know what the correct spelling of a word is, or the correct way to punctuate.

Having good spelling and grammar is valued in many professions in this world, and it isn't fair if students aren't given a reasonable chance to actually learn how the English language should be correctly expressed on paper, while at the same time learning how to express themselves.  

jackthepumpkinhead

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:37 pm
Hehe, well for speaking out to that woman, I cannot. She is an extremely insane woman who enjoys making her students suffer. Everyone who has had her, hates her, even the teachers! I would not be surprised if she would refer a student for correcting her, she is that insane!

Also, I meant that she misspelled words on the BOARD, not in speech. I do not have perfect speak, I cuss a lot, and I would not expect other teachers to have perfect language. The thing that gets me mad though is that this woman insists that she is the BEST English teacher in the whole school! She insists that she is always right! When students speak against her opinions, she offends them, she criticizes everyone for one thing or another, and, though she never cusses, students have been reduced to tears by how she speaks to them.

Plus, she is so crazy, she actually married a building!

Also, she made us read a story she had been editing for four years and there were at least 3 simple grammatical errors in it!

Sorry for the rant, I just despise the woman.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:27 pm
darkrose_eve
Hehe, well for speaking out to that woman, I cannot. She is an extremely insane woman who enjoys making her students suffer. Everyone who has had her, hates her, even the teachers! I would not be surprised if she would refer a student for correcting her, she is that insane!

Also, I meant that she misspelled words on the BOARD, not in speech. I do not have perfect speak, I cuss a lot, and I would not expect other teachers to have perfect language. The thing that gets me mad though is that this woman insists that she is the BEST English teacher in the whole school! She insists that she is always right! When students speak against her opinions, she offends them, she criticizes everyone for one thing or another, and, though she never cusses, students have been reduced to tears by how she speaks to them.

Plus, she is so crazy, she actually married a building!

Also, she made us read a story she had been editing for four years and there were at least 3 simple grammatical errors in it!

Sorry for the rant, I just despise the woman.

Correcting a teacher is like a form of art one needs to perfect over time... of coarse I have not perfected it myself but I can so relate to your story. I too had a crazy teacher just last semester. She had retired SEVERAL years ago but just came coming back. Eventually she made a spelling mistake and I corrected her on it... she thanked me... but never gave me my credit.... depending on who your teacher is, I would just sit back and ignore the mistakes. Just make sure you know the proper material, just copy down board or overhead notes in your own interpretations.

Isn't it weird that male teachers are so more relaxed than female teachers? Sorry, I went off topic there...  

DemonessRose

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:27 pm
I usually chose not to comment, though I could modify most teachers' text quite thoroughly.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:24 pm
It isn't right for an English teacher to miss-spell words but at the same time when they do it serves you a purpose - See if you can pick them out.
My teachers have always congratulated students for picking out and correcting mistakes.

little_evil_goth

Charles Arobin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:21 am
Misspellings happen on accident. It is just bound to happen when you write the same thousand words a day all day. Eventually you are going to slip. What annoys me is when an English Teachers tells you that you are wrong and you are clearly right. Me and my English teacher got into it about whether or not a poem was an Italian sonnet or a Shakespearian sonnet. I kept telling him he was wrong that it was Italian (it had an Octave for Christ sake and no couplet) but he got mad and kicked me out of class. The principal made it all better when I showed him what we were talking about and made the Teacher apologize to me in front of the class. (Though I was label the smart kid for that year.) Anyhow that teacher has a hard time remembering people. If you had the man one year and at the begining of the next year you went up to him and said Hi he wouldn't know who you are, but every time he saw me after that he would scowl and and just say my name like it was supposed to scare me.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff