Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Type how you speak using dialects? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:22 pm
Is it okay to type how you speak depending on your region or would it be considered too improper? For example, if I were to say "ya'll" or "hella" would it be considered improper grammar or would it be excused? Should it be excused?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:24 am
In my point of view, I think it depends on the situation. If you were chatting with your friends, then I guess it would be alright.  

SixteenthNote

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:42 pm
Well I meant in typing.

e.g) I type hella faster than you.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 pm
I'm gonna take this oppurtun'ty ta say, "Hi, y'all!" No, I don't talk like this all tha time, but win I start talkin' all fast 'cuz I'm gittin' 'excited, I start ta git all hick... Must be in tha genes. Ya know, it actually takes me more concentration ta type how I talk than it does ta jist type in normal English... Whew. I'm gonna take a break frum this typin'. I'm gittin' weary.  

Kassassin

animoni

Aged Member

32,800 Points
  • Runway Contender 750
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:49 am
I think typing how you speak to those who know you, example with your friends and family, is okey.

You will have a little problem if the person you are talking, through typing/chat, is not getting what you meant. I suggest use proper grammar. Maybe from that conversation both of you will come to talk/type things in a very loose English grammar.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:58 am
Ya'll. Correction: Y'all.

I see no problem typing like you talk in dialect as far as using certain words goes - For example, I used the word: Gonna', wanna', Wussat? Whussat? in my online messaging, but I don't think people should take it as far as accents, because that just doesn't work. It can be just as difficult to read as txt tlk or 1337.

There's no point.

If you wanna' use your accent that much, then buy a microphone.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:00 pm
I can't type using my dialect- when I get going, I end up speaking my own flipping language that few people understand. Everything tends to slur and become disjointed. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:08 pm
With friends it's ok. But I'd say for the most part not all of it. The occasional "Y'all" is fine. Just not every word.  

little_evil_goth

Squishies`

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:13 pm
Yeah, heck they have practically been converted into the English language..a lot of people use them.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:58 pm
I've never thought of typing them. I just use them orally in my speech.  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Zura Lasgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:29 pm
I'm from Newfoundland, Canada. The way "my people" speak is a little funny. For example "'eh b'y! watta ya at!?" which translated means "Hello there! What are you up to!?" xd I have friends that type like that. I start doing it to play along, because I miss it... being all the way out in Alberta and all. In my speech, I say things like "Where's she to?", which means "Where is she?". However, I type in proper english (or try to, anyway.) I think that it's okay to type in your dialect, as long as you're having a conversation with someone that can understand what you're trying to say. I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't be able to carry out a converstaion with some of my friends. My boyfriend has trouble speaking on the phone with my parents. He has a harder time reading the dialect then hearing, though. I'm his offical translator biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:55 pm
I alwase type how I talk, it's just something I do! I think how I talk and I type how I think. It's really hard for me though because I think really fast and irrationaly, so I have to go back and re-read my stuff all the time otherwise I'll have the word "like" every few sentances.

I live were "like" is used to link sentances, simmaler to the way "and" is used. xd . Trust me it isn't as bad as I make it sound when you hear it, as oposed to reading it.  

red_moon_wolfess

Arlene Machiavelli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:49 am
Sammie of Spades
Is it okay to type how you speak depending on your region or would it be considered too improper? For example, if I were to say "ya'll" or "hella" would it be considered improper grammar or would it be excused? Should it be excused?

It really does depend. For example, many ancient writers wrote in their own vernacular (The common, spoken language.. among the.. common []poor[] people.). It's bad form if you're typing an essay for school, however, if you're creating a literary piece of work, it's A-OK. Also, I'd say it's okay to type it over the internet.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:20 am
Yeah, I suppose it's ok. It is sort of like someone saying 'hey' rather than 'hello' isn't it. It could be referred to as being slang or the like.  

Shredderhs

Camo-Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:39 am
This is really funny because I'm a Pastafarian, so when I talk about Pastafarianism, or to another Pastafarian I talk like this:
Argh! This'd be rul'y funny 'cause I'm a Pastafar'n so when I talk 'bout Pastafar'nsm I be talkin' like this:
May ‘is noodley appendage touch yer.
Ramen!!!
pirate  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out