Reply Avatar Talk
Political Discourse Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Merridew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:24 am
As many of us are aware, President Bush has just been re-elected for another 4 years.

Also, as many of you are aware, this country is extremely polarized when it comes to voting, especially in 2004.

I just wanted to make a thread to discuss (IN A FRIENDLY AND CIVIL FASHION) your view of what happened in America yesterday and today.

A few disclaimers...
- absolutely NO bashing of any political parties
- keep the name-calling to a minimum (ie - "facist right-wing nutjobs", "tree-hugging hippie liberals", etc)
- use this thread for INTELLIGENT and CONSTRUCTIVE discussion, don't throw in snarky one-liners like, "Bush sucks" or "Kerry is stupid"
- please please please, above all, be considerate of others -- you are entitled to your opinion, just as they're entitled to theirs

....that being said, I voted for Bush. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:48 am
If I lived in the US and was old enough to vote, I would have voted for Kerry/Edwards. Not that I particularly support either candidate, but I'd call Kerry the lesser of two evils... and I feel that a vote for a third party is a wasted vote. I think that this election was pretty much Bush vs. Anti Bush, and most third party candidates just take votes away from people who would choose Kerry over Bush. The two candidates aren't that different on the political scale anyway, but that is to be expected, because I feel that America (and Britain, as well as many other similar western countries) are not truly democracies, but elites hiding behind that smokescreen.  

Fyrae

[The Princess Troll]

7,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:32 am
I'm just glad Bush was re-elected. And for many reasons I am glad. One is that I feel he should finish the war. Two, is that I didn't like Kerry's views at all. But yeah...that's all I had to say.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:50 pm
Im also glad Bush won.

Very glad elections are over , because politics always get me ANGRY!

Miss Puu

Merridew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:33 pm
No more political ads on TV! Woohoo! whee  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:41 pm
This Makes me glad I'm canadian  

MR. Baron Von Yoko

Jelennyfur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:39 pm
yokoshii
This Makes me glad I'm canadian

3nodding *snap,snap*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:45 pm
The really scary thing is one party (it doesn't matter which one) having full control over the white house, the senate, and the house of reps all at the same time, plus in a few years Bush will put 1 or 2 supreme court justices on the bench. That altogether will lead to ruining the delicate balance of power the founding fathers found so necessary to a functional democracy.

sweatdrop  

Princess Nausicaa

Distinct Gaian

1,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Neko Pon Pon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:01 pm
What I don't agree most on Bush's view is his " No Child left behind " program. Sure, it CAN make a difference. What if a school fails? That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The schools barely have enough money to support themselves, what makes Bush think that their education can improve by 200%?!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:02 pm
Princess Nausicaa
The really scary thing is one party (it doesn't matter which one) having full control over the white house, the senate, and the house of reps all at the same time, plus in a few years Bush will put 1 or 2 supreme court justices on the bench.

Yes. Its damn near agonizing to think about.  

Dr. Joanna Sexchocolate

[waffles]

Dedicated Loiterer

7,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:50 pm
Fyrae
If I lived in the US and was old enough to vote, I would have voted for Kerry/Edwards. Not that I particularly support either candidate, but I'd call Kerry the lesser of two evils... and I feel that a vote for a third party is a wasted vote. I think that this election was pretty much Bush vs. Anti Bush, and most third party candidates just take votes away from people who would choose Kerry over Bush. The two candidates aren't that different on the political scale anyway, but that is to be expected, because I feel that America (and Britain, as well as many other similar western countries) are not truly democracies, but elites hiding behind that smokescreen.

Very well said. I voted for Kerry, and yes part of the reason is because I really don't like Bush. Bush has made America's economy worse, made the federal debt worse than it has ever been, made tax cuts that really only benefit really rich people, among other things. I am very angry that he is our president for another four years, and I'm a little scared to think what could happen under another term of his presidency.

Princess Nausicaa
The really scary thing is one party (it doesn't matter which one) having full control over the white house, the senate, and the house of reps all at the same time, plus in a few years Bush will put 1 or 2 supreme court justices on the bench. That altogether will lead to ruining the delicate balance of power the founding fathers found so necessary to a functional democracy. sweatdrop

Yes, and that too scares the crap out of me. Especially since he can't be re-elected in another four years, he has no one that he really has to impress anymore, and his true followers will follow him no matter what anyway. So he is pretty much going to do whatever he wants and put forth is conservative agenda or whatever crap that is. And lots of people will follow him and support him because they think he is keeping us safe from terrorists or whatever. What a bunch of crap.

On top of all that, I hate our voting system. I think it was all probably rigged anyway. xp

Oh well, when the U.S. starts going even more downhill at least I can say I voted for the other guy. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:47 pm
My family voted Kerry. I myself just think that Bush didn't do a very good job taking charge. I mean he decided to go to war, that's a pretty big decision to make on his own, but I just don't think his actions were very good... Watching the Michael Moore Fahrenheit 9/11 also sparked some thoughts of how bad I think Bush is. confused

I as well am glad this is over, though. I really hate fighting with my retard friends about Bush/Kerry. I also don't like having to write essays on who is better of the two. stressed

laFred

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:55 pm
All I have to say is that at one point in time I was proud to be an american, then bush came into office 9/11 happened then we went to war over false accusations and blah blah blah. I lost all pride I had for living in the US. With the new elections, I was looking forward to gain that pride back in hopes bush would loose... But that didn't happen. But how many people are actualy left feeling proud to be an american after Bush steeped into office? About 1/2 according to the popular vote, well thats not right, considering some people couldn't vote, some people are too young to vote, and others more or less threw thier vote away by voting for Nader or someone else. At least 1/2 of the population of the US is unable to actualy say they are proud to be an american. Wich makes me sick, Bush has destroyed the economy more or less and if you tell me know I don't want to hear it. Im 20 live on my own and haven't been able to find a job now for months, why because the economy is that bad around here, wich is why Kerry did lead for Michigan. I know what the real world is like, Mommy dosen't support me and pay for all my things. Nope not at all. I know how corrupt Bush is, in what he says and what he does. But thats just my opinion, and I have no intent of arguing anything because the damn elections are over, and all I can do is hope that this country dosent fall anymore then it already has in the past 4 years. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:57 pm
I wasnt very proud to be american when my President was getting blow jobs under the desk.  

Miss Puu

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:00 pm
Koren_suzaku
I wasnt very proud to be american when my President was getting blow jobs under the desk.

I was more proud then, then when we sent thousands of people of to war on false accusations. neutral Plus despite Clinton's personal life and personal choices he was still none the less a great president and up thier with many of the best. Also look back, and see how many of the other great presidents had affairs and things like that.  

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games