Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Future????? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ReaperPkk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:56 am
Should Slang be unwatched, what do you think our future would be like?????  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:09 am
Maybe I'm just tired, but I don't understand what you mean.

Or maybe I do and there's already a thread for it.  

The Man who was Thursday

Requiem Dare

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:13 am
If you mean internet slang, I think the internet will become a cold, idiotic world of insanity.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:15 pm
Technically...(if I spelled that right...) slang is already unwatched. It is at the point where even teachers are using slang and believe me I have heard it. Slang has reached into the doors from Tim Horton Drive thru's to office buildings. Heck! Politicians even use slang now and again. I for one, as well as most of us are probably guilty for a bit of slang here and there. Should slang get so bad, that the Oxford Dictionary no longer serves us a purpose, will be the day English will no longer be the universal language and the language we once knew, will be a laughing stalk....

Hey, that would make a great movie!!!  

DemonessRose

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm
In the future, everyone's writing will be so illegible, Syntax errors on out already nonsensical computers will make more sense.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:48 pm
In my opinion, I look at it from a positive point of view. Language is an ever changing thing; and I believe that, in our history, people in every generation change it just a little. If you look at what English was 20, 30, 50 years ago, you will find slang that was used that fell into oblivion, and maybe other words that have stuck. If you see what our language was more than 50 years ago, you will almost not recognize it at all. Books from those times have been rewritten to match a language that we will be familiar with.
Shakespeare wrote in slang, Shakespeare invented slang; and people read it and people loved it and he reinvented the language of his time.
Chaucer as well wrote in a way that people from his time would understand. We read the original versions of everything they wrote and it seems weird and classical and fancy in our eyes; but it was normal for them.
Slang has always been unwatched and it has helped evolve our many beautiful languages since the beginning of time. Slang will always be unwatched. And it will continue to aid in the evolution of our language.
Any slang that doesn't stick will simply be forgotten in time. And the rest will shape the way people will be speaking 10 to 20 years from now.  

Yokushi

little_evil_goth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:19 pm
By that time it will no longer matter because it will be the new English. I like to use slang when I talk; It's the language of our generation. I don't take it to the extreme of wannabe gansta like so many kid's want to do, but as part of that generation I also have a part in creating it, therefore I use it.
Certainly when it goes to talking like incomprehensible idiots you yourself will not use it, and there will always be those who will preserve it. So it's not an epidemic. Who wants to control it all? I say let it follow it's own path.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:41 am
Yokushi
In my opinion, I look at it from a positive point of view. Language is an ever changing thing; and I believe that, in our history, people in every generation change it just a little. If you look at what English was 20, 30, 50 years ago, you will find slang that was used that fell into oblivion, and maybe other words that have stuck. If you see what our language was more than 50 years ago, you will almost not recognize it at all. Books from those times have been rewritten to match a language that we will be familiar with.
Shakespeare wrote in slang, Shakespeare invented slang; and people read it and people loved it and he reinvented the language of his time.
Chaucer as well wrote in a way that people from his time would understand. We read the original versions of everything they wrote and it seems weird and classical and fancy in our eyes; but it was normal for them.
Slang has always been unwatched and it has helped evolve our many beautiful languages since the beginning of time. Slang will always be unwatched. And it will continue to aid in the evolution of our language.
Any slang that doesn't stick will simply be forgotten in time. And the rest will shape the way people will be speaking 10 to 20 years from now.

I agree with everything this guy says here.  

KayJuran

xKira-Killerx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:07 am
I am VERY worried about the whole slang thing. Things like aint and yall are already in the dictionary!! > sad  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:19 am
Actually, Canterbury Tales looks horribly written. It doesn't look "fancy" at all.  

The Man who was Thursday

Yokushi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:37 am
Judas lscariot
Actually, Canterbury Tales looks horribly written. It doesn't look "fancy" at all.

Actually, I am not refering to Canterbury Tales specifically. Chaucer wrote many things in his time. Basically, I was naming one author of many to make a point. And it is actually only in your opinion that it doesn't look fancy. I respect it, but it's only what you think.

KayJuran

Thanks. xd I really believe in my opinion of it, and I'm glad to know you think the same.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:19 pm
Yokushi
Judas lscariot

Actually, I am not refering to Canterbury Tales specifically. Chaucer wrote many things in his time. Basically, I was naming one author of many to make a point. And it is actually only in your opinion that it doesn't look fancy. I respect it, but it's only what you think.

KayJuran

Thanks. xd I really believe in my opinion of it, and I'm glad to know you think the same.

Quote:
Whan that Arcite to Thebes comen was,
Ful ofte a day he swelte and seyde `Allas,'
For seen his lady shal he nevere mo;
And shortly to concluden al his wo,
So muche sorwe hadde nevere creature,
That is, or shal whil that the world may dure.

Quote:
With this he took his leve, and hom he wente;
And lord, so he was glad and wel bygon!

Very fancy. It looks to me like somebody who really needs to learn to spell was trying to play with his sentence structure a bit.  

The Man who was Thursday

ManillaFolder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:56 pm
Our future will be horrible and indiscribably horrific enough to not care.

~ManillaFolder~  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:58 am
For the record, slang has already invaded our dictionary. Webster's has words like, "bootylicious".  

Zee Zee Top

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Lady Fenrys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:38 am
Alabang
For the record, slang has already invaded our dictionary. Webster's has words like, "bootylicious".

You've got to be kidding me.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces