Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
yay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

abiric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:53 am
im going to a craft show today. but whats the best craft show you've been to confused  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:29 pm
never ever been to one sad  

I be me
Vice Captain

RocknRollDragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:53 pm
Me neither...I'd love 2 go 2 one though 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:11 pm
~
Most of the ones that I have been to are too old lady-ish. And the ones that are not old lady-ish are middle age lady-ish and full of tole painting and stupid cutesy "country" crafts which I truely despise and think is a truckload of rubbish.
I don't go to craft fairs around here for that reason.

I think that I would someday like to go to the bazaar bizarre but that means I will have to travel to the states and everything. There should be more venues catering to younger crafters around here... but then I suppose all the young people leave for jobs anyway and the people who chose to stay end up staying in a wasteland of old people crafts.

~

Tes

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:32 pm
Tes
~
Most of the ones that I have been to are too old lady-ish. And the ones that are not old lady-ish are middle age lady-ish and full of tole painting and stupid cutesy "country" crafts which I truely despise and think is a truckload of rubbish.

I think that I would someday like to go to the bazaar bizarre but that means I will have to travel to the states and everything. There should be more venues catering to younger crafters around here... but then I suppose all the young people leave for jobs anyway and the people who chose to stay end up staying in a wasteland of old people crafts.

~
Thats my opinion on a lot of craft things.
Even craftster has started to become cluttered with people who post pics of things they made for their children and those nausiating country crafts that ALL look the same.
Its like ENOUGH WITH THE s**t CRAFTS.
(either that or I am only just starting to notice them because I am on craftster a lot more now)

Sorry Grandma. I know I wasn't raised to say words like that.

OMG I had an interior decorating mag that had a room that just looked like a nightmare of bad country crafts.
I sooo have to see if I can find it,  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:32 am
We have a pretty big craft fair in my area around Christmas time, but I haven't been to it in ages. My mom gave me a soft sculpture dragon and wizard set years ago that she'd bought there. I do remember a whole lot of cutesy country stuff there though. I live in a rural area and if I have to see another tole painted cow with cutesy sign including the word Moo, I swear I'll scream. I've often been tempted to rip my eyes out over stuff like that. The "time out kids" were inescapable a few years ago too. *shivers violently*  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:15 am
Best craft fair I went to was in Eugene Oregon, which is quite possibly hippie captriol of the USA. well, they also make some darn fine crafts, including goat/devil horns made out of dryer conduit and some of the nicest recycled clothing you could wish to see.

My own hometown has the old lady kind of craft shows where the most interesting thing they have for grabs is framed typrewriter art and it goes downhill from there. It used tyo be sad because they would have the craft fair at the same time as the art show, only on opposite sides of the town... and the art show had some really lovely pieces; and then you would go across town hoping to see the same sort of creativity and artistry in media other than sculpture and painint but all you got were potpourri wreaths and plastic canvas duckies. Argh.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:15 pm
I went to quite a few when I was little, but I don't remember much. I went to one in the last year at the local high school and Oh My God! I totally agree with the rest of you on the country crafts and things for kids. It was cool when I was little and had American Girls dolls to buy handmade clothes for, but SHEESH can we update a little please mad !? I really really really want to go to Bizarre Bizarre someday, but it never gets very close to where I am. Perhaps if I can find some more local craft people like me (I already have two friends that I've gotten into crafts razz ), I could fire up my own craft show. I know I'll be writing my own crochet book since there's only about 5-6 hip, more odd ones that I've seen biggrin .  

spiffydesu

5,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:47 am
I be me
Tes
~

~
Thats my opinion on a lot of craft things.
Even craftster has started to become cluttered with people who post pics of things they made for their children and those nausiating country crafts that ALL look the same.
Its like ENOUGH WITH THE s**t CRAFTS.
(either that or I am only just starting to notice them because I am on craftster a lot more now)

Sorry Grandma. I know I wasn't raised to say words like that.

OMG I had an interior decorating mag that had a room that just looked like a nightmare of bad country crafts.
I sooo have to see if I can find it,

I you know a lot of crafters, why don't you start your own show? If you are in college, you could use a space on campus (with permission of the dean, of course). This is especially easy if you go to a school involved with arts. Even if you don't, talk to your principal about it.

If you dont' know that many crafters, then just get 4-5 together an invade an old lady craft show. The grandkids that get dragged to stuff like that are going to want something to look at too, you know.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games