Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Eragon: Movie VS. Book Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like the Eragon Movie/Book?
  Yes I loved the movie. Didn't read book.
  I loved the movie, loved the book as well.
  Hated the movie, loved the book.
  Loved the movie, hated the book.
  What's Eragon?
View Results

t3hc003st

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:54 pm
Eragon: Movie VS. Book

Does anyone else think that the movie was just a complete joke, only for the kids that didn't feel like reading it. I'm completely convinced that practically every person who had read the book thought the movie was terrible. The plot was twisted, the characthers had no development. It was horrible.

The book on the other hand was pretty awesome. I don't know what else to say, lol.

Does anyone know any other movies the director made?

How many of you read the book and agree?

How many of you didn't read the book and saw the movie- opinions on the movie?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:37 am
I refused to pay good money to see that movie because I could tell just by the previews that the f***ed up the book. I haven't seen the movie and don't plan to but I could already tell several things were wrong when I saw the previews:

1. we have yet to meet Galbatorax in the book, yet we are walking around his castle with him in the movie.
2. Eragon was later called "Silver Palm" because of his dragon mark in the book. In the movie, he has a blue twisting dragon on the heal of his hand... definately not a "Silver Palm" to me.
3. I alwase thaught Saphira to be more of a grand-English-fatty dragon to me by all the discriptions of her being massive. In the movie she is a skinny-Ammerican-tiny dragon.

I could make this list drag on for the next few pages if I really wanted to, but I would hate to be a page-strecher.  

red_moon_wolfess

Asuka Minerva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:14 am
When I watched the movie whilst separating my self from the thoughts and ideas of the book, it was a good movie. Unfortunately there were quite a few things in the movie that kept it from being epic. It had the air of something that was trying, trying so hard and yet failing, failing so miserably to be an epic.
The book, whilst I am unsure I can refer to it as literature, was good, especially for the young age of the author. There were a few discrepancies that I have noticed, however nothing major drew my attention.
I liked the plot line for the story. But I was disappointed with the movie when I viewed it from the eyes of the book. There were several parts that, quite simply, were disappointing. For one I enjoyed the slow progression from baby dragon to full fledged dragon that was found in the book. The movie, while spectacular, was empty. The transitions that happened to both Saphira and Eragon thought that time were vital in developing their character. Also, Terim was important! How dare they remove it!
The biggest thing, through, was Saphira's appearance. I was hoping for more of a Dragon Heart type dragon, not this feathered thing they made. Saphira is supposed to be scary... not... feathery!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:55 am
The book was much better than the movie!!!!!
1. In the book, Eragon was maimed by Durza, in the movie he didn't have a scar , all he had was a bunch of bruises.
2. Saphira was a lean dragon in the book, she was a little bigger in the film.  

Pretia Libertatis

Winter Seeker

10,425 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Battery 500
  • Winter Guardian 250

Londo Mollari

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:02 am
Those differences pale in comparison to the complete destruction of the plot!

And what was with the whole fiery, accelerated aging thing? What ever happened to the "growing up" montage

Actually, the only thing about the movie I did like was Saphira's design, though I seem to be in the minority on that.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:38 pm
I was one of the last of my friends to read Eragon. I never knew what it was. I was simply looking for a book to read one day, I saw the dragon's head on the cover and the lovely blue tinge of the book itself. I grabbed it out of sheer interest. I couldn't put the book down for long; talk about a good find. I loved it! (I still need to read the second one.)

Ah, but when it came time for the movie... heh. I was skeptical. I love Jeremy Irons, so him being in it was definitely a plus. Even if he did appear to have leapt straight from Kingdom Of Heaven into this flick. I tried to distance myself from the book while watching the movie. It's my theory that when people go to make movies, that it's the screen writers vision of the book; or a part of the book. But... I just couldn't keep myself from making ties to the book and seeing what all they changed.

To my utter disappointment they left out TONS of material and totally skewered the book. My biggest disappointment was when they reached the Varden, or... whatever it was. That was supposed to be the Dwarven city. And somehow... that dwarven city got turned into a piece of god damn Jamaica!? Who? What? Where!? When did THIS happen? Hah, hah.

Apply a gentle topping of sarcasm to the following:

I loved how the Shade's face in the movie was 'normal' until the end, and then got all pale and weird.

I loved the *POOF* - Five second adult dragon!

I loved evil bald guy playing the king!

---

The best thing about the movie in my opinion was the way they rendered Saphira. They did an awesome job with her. And, well. I still love Jeremy Irons. smile  

Reizzar

5,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Statustician 100

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:14 pm
Someone find me the guy who made this movie so that I may rip out his heart and make him eat it. He destroyed Eragon, utterly and totally. Were I Christopher Paolini, I would never have let him near my book. There were many thing wrong with the move. I shall list some--that's right, SOME--of them:

1. The Shade was supposed to be malicious with pointed teeth, BLOOD-red hair, a pale face, and, from my remembance, he was deathly awesome looking.

2. The Ra'zak were supposed to be wearing cloaks that made their backs look humped, and they never ever were shown in the first book except for glimpses...maybe.

3. Garrow did not die at the farm; Eragon took him back to the village, and that is where he died, the honors to the dead were performed, Eragon stole, and Brom met up with him.

4. What in hell happened to Jeod and that whole city by the sea? For crying out loud, that was a major part!

5. It took time for Sapphira to learn to speak with Eragon. It didn't happen overnight, nor did her growth happen in an instant with a fiery blast.

6. There is no mention of Eragon ever riding on Sapphira's tail, nor would it be possible. The tail is a rudder for flight, and with Eragon's weight, it would be too difficult to lift.

7. Sapphira only learned how to breathe fire at the very end of the book, before Eragon blacked out.

8. ...I should stop now.

The point is, I would have enjoyed it better if they had stuck to the book and just made a whole series of movies, instead of cutting out vital information and compromising them.

Oh yeah, when is the third book coming out?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:03 am
The book was great! But the movie trashed the exelance that was to book.
And there is not an eldest movie yet, but when there is, less people will go to see it. The movie skipped all of the good parts, so the great book would be told in two hours

Angelic-Sargeant

Angelic-Sargeant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:07 am
greenrider_calidar
Someone find me the guy who made this movie so that I may rip out his heart and make him eat it. He destroyed Eragon, utterly and totally. Were I Christopher Paolini, I would never have let him near my book. They were many thing wrong with the move. I shall list some--that's right, SOME--of them:

1. The Shade was supposed to be malicious with pointed teeth, BLOOD-red hair, a pale face, and, from my remembance, he was deathly awesome looking.

2. The Ra'zak were supposed to be wearing cloaks that made their backs look humped, and they never ever were shown in the first book except for glimpses...maybe.

3. Garrow did not die at the farm; Eragon took him back to the village, and that is where he died, the honors to the dead were performed, Eragon stole, and Brom met up with him.

4. What in hell happened to Jeod and that whole city by the sea? For crying out loud, that was a major part!

5. It took time for Sapphira to learn to speak with Eragon. It didn't happen overnight, nor did her growth happen in an instant with a fiery blast.

6. There is no mention of Eragon ever riding on Sapphira's tail, nor would it be possible. The tail is a rudder for flight, and with Eragon's weight, it would be too difficult to lift.

7. Sapphira only learned how to breathe fire at the very end of the book, before Eragon blacked out.

8. ...I should stop now.

The point is, I would have enjoyed it better if they had stuck to the book and just made a whole series of movies, instead of cutting out vital information and compromising them.

Oh yeah, when is the third book coming out?

And yes, I hate the fact how she grows with a flight fire-ball. And she couldn't even breath fire untill she was six months old, not after she had a sudden growth-spirt in the air, and that never happend in the book! There are many other things they took out also. The movie destroyed the book.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:04 am
ARMAGEDDON12

And yes, I hate the fact how she grows with a flight fire-ball. And she couldn't even breath fire untill she was six months old, not after she had a sudden growth-spirt in the air, and that never happend in the book! There are many other things they took out also. The movie destroyed the book.

Not only did they destroy the book, they killed the next movie as well! How will they do the movie anything like the book without Eragon's scar down his back? That was almost half of Eldest! stressed Plus when Eragon was sliced by Durza and he thought he was going to die, The Cripple Who is Whole saved him and convinced him to go to Weldenvarden...I doubt there is even going to be a second movie at all. On the other hand, if you haven't read the books, it was a fantastic movie. It goes together well and makes partial sense (more if you read the book, but that just makes you angry when they skip 4 chapters or so in a row). If you haven't read the book, but watched the movie, read it at your own risk.  

Zieza

Eccentric Iconoclast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:40 am
Honestly, the book was bad. Really bad. The movie was bad too and didn't do the book much service, but the writing style and pretty much everything about the books was bad.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:22 am
Gosh, I'm really glad that I stayed away from the movie after reading all this. At first I was really excited that they made a movie, but the cast made me step back. My sister saw it and said it ruined the pictures she had in her head from the book. I'll stick with the books. whee  

ShyBFly

Jacked in the Box II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:09 am
It's almost as if the director dropped the book in a blender and said."I've got it, that's my script. I'll Use the five pages i ripped out and completely make everything else up."  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:07 pm
greenrider_calidar
Someone find me the guy who made this movie so that I may rip out his heart and make him eat it.

The sheer lack of film making ability would poison you. I thought that the movie left out the most important (Not to mention AWESOME!) scenes, and depended too much upon special effects. The one scene that I really missed (I can barely remember, it was so long ago!) was when Eragon was in Carvahall at the market. By the way, I might not even remember all of this correctly. Ah,well, It's about time I wrapped this up (Can't carry on for too long!). Peace. ninja  

SunnyAntarctica

Zieza

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:18 am
Edward Lok
It's almost as if the director dropped the book in a blender and said."I've got it, that's my script. I'll Use the five pages i ripped out and completely make everything else up."

I wouldn't be surprised if that's all that directors do these days.

"Ok, so you've got your idea of the book, director...wanna read it before we make the movie?"

"NEVER! That would ruin the movie and give me shouting block! How dare you?! YOU'RE FIRED! Oh wait, nevermind...er...MAN WITH HAMMER! YOU'RE FIRED! Yeah..."

*sigh* the world is doomed to poisonous movies  
Literature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces