Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
It is English--not math. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Joss-Box

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:43 pm
While correcting a peer's assignment, I ran across a sentence that read something to the effect of "I have a gift 4 you." I asked my teacher if I could mark off points, but she told me to give simply a warning. This upset me. When I become an English teacher, things like that WILL be deducted credit. Afterall, it is English--not math. So statements like "I have a gift 4 you," and "I gave it 2 you," shall not fly.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm
I must say that is one lenient teacher.
One is always chastised when making an idiotic sentence like that.

Okay, perhaps I'm being a bit extreme in saying, "chastised", but people are usually criticized when using numbers for words.

limp dick

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:57 pm
Thankfully my teacher isn't that lax with her standards. She might just fly into a fury if that happened. This is a silent understanding among my peers, so it never happens.

Still, to let numbers pass for words... geez...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:14 pm
My teacher's head would blow off! Urrgh the insanity of this world!  

Kamori202

Yokushi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:28 pm
This is simply not right. Even when I was a kid my English teacher was already telling me to write out numbers, because it was English and not math; now it's gotten to the point where we can replace whole words with numbers and no one says anything...just what is this world coming to...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:45 pm
My teacher would be LAUGHING if she saw that. You can't replace letters with numbers. That is why we have seperate subjects. Though, I would understand if it was to make writing shorter... I mean, no one wants to write notes that are long... but still, it's not right.  

c r o i s

Hygienic Gaian

PrincessPeachey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:02 am
Hmm, possibly not related, but I've always wondered why Americans and the like refer to mathematics as "math", as it's mathematics. (We say maths here.)
I think that might just be me and my weird Australian views.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:58 am
When I was in high school, we had one English tutor.
I remember, she read a story that a student wrote, and the student had put text talk in. Numbers, 'U' etc.

She tore it up in front of the student and told her to re-write it in proper English.

I will forever praise that tutor.  

Marcus McFlufferson

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:06 am
PrincessPeachey
Hmm, possibly not related, but I've always wondered why Americans and the like refer to mathematics as "math", as it's mathematics. (We say maths here.)

"Maths" sounds unpleasant.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:00 pm
I will say that I am glad that I do not have to worry about people doing the whole, "I'll do this 4 you". It is stupid and I am glad I don't have to listen to it ever  

NRaWRr

Zyderic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:15 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
When I was in high school, we had one English tutor.
I remember, she read a story that a student wrote, and the student had put text talk in. Numbers, 'U' etc.

She tore it up in front of the student and told her to re-write it in proper English.

I will forever praise that tutor.

She is a paragon of humanity.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:12 am
Don't substitute letters with numbers! scream  

Altima the Dragonic Lord

applecyder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:10 am
PrincessPeachey

British says 'maths' too. I say math. But either is better than how my grandma says it: 'arithmetic' gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:11 am
I hate shortcut words- and numbers!

"I luv U."
"This is 4 U."
"2morrow well dance."

EW!  

Wings Akimbo

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash