Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Somewhere, J.R.R. Tolkien's soul just had a heart attack. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yavie Feels Pretty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:11 pm
"A girl falls into ME..."

"She was alone in the world, and a reluctant Elf saved her..."

"omg lyk plz read okay? Its rly good i promise!11oneone"

Sound familiar? If you are a hopeless fanatic like yours truly, it should.

I used to be in love with a lovely site called Fanfiction dot net. It was a wonderful idea: finally, we could write about our favorite characters doing God-knows-what. Whether it be fighting Ringwraiths and angsting over a fallen comrade or streams of consciousness from a lesser-known character's mind, I ate it all up.

And then SHE arrived.

You should know her. Slender, beautiful. Unnatural hair and eye color. Likely as not physically maimed or suffering from a traumatic past. Legolas loves her. Aragorn loves her. She resurrects Boromir with her tears, and he loves her too. Or perhaps she's a lovely, uncharacteristically lithe Hobbit-lass for whom Pippin or Merry have fallen head-over heels.

Her name is Mary. Mary Sue. She seems to be able to change forms and pasts at will to match the author's inane, drivelling fantasies.

Now, you cannot find a single story on the site for fear of "OMG LYK A HOT GURL WIT A BAD PAST SHOWS UP AND SHES A VAMPIRE AND SHES IN LOVE WITH LEGGY! OMG LEGGYS SO HAWT!!11oneone" popping up on your screen and singeing your corneas.

Why? Why must such a great good die in throes of agony, swamped over by sickeningly sweet figments of "authoresses'" narcissistic imaginations?

I miss the old fanfiction world. Sues existed then, yes, but they were fewer in number.

Urgh.

I'm sure everyone writes one in their lifetime. I have. But, honestly, you should be over playing princess by the time you reach your teenage years. Do not let hormones cloud your judgement! Puh-leeeease!

Discuss:
Your own encounters with the sugary-sweet menace.
Your opinion on above rant.
Your opinion on Mary Sues.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:51 pm
There are some very good stories on fanfiction.net. Unfortunately, there are some awful ones as well. Mary Sues tend to make me rant incoherently and leave mean reviews. Umm...whoops?

There was a very good Weiss Kruez fic I found about making a Mary Sue explode. If you want to read it I'm sure I still have it somewhere. biggrin  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:55 pm
Is.. is this really necessary? It's basically just providing an introduction to another thread that's also in the guild.

And not everyone cares about fanfics.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 am
To be honest, I couldn't get interested in fanfic.
Just not for me.  

MadnessFreak

Yavie Feels Pretty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:35 pm
Judas lscariot
Is.. is this really necessary? It's basically just providing an introduction to another thread that's also in the guild.

Don't try to pick fights. It's immature.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:36 pm
MadnessFreak
To be honest, I couldn't get interested in fanfic.
Just not for me.

I've all but given up on them. :shrug: Not everyone likes 'em.

Yavie Feels Pretty

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:22 pm
All I can really say to Madness is 'different strokes for different folks.'

On ff.net, I tend to just stick with my author's alerts. Sometimes I'm brave enough to actually surf through the pages but it's not often. Poorly written fanfiction are no longer an exception, but a norm.

I admit guilty that when I first started off writing four or five years ago, I created a couple Mary Sues. Now, sure, some of my oc's might have a little Sue trait here and there, but I try to fix them. Unlike some of these authors, I do try to humanize my characters. It's not always easy, but I make the effort.

What bothers me the most with these 'n00bish' authors/authoresses is that they insert Sues, warp the canon characters and plotline, and use the logo "Fanfiction.net, unleash your imagination and free your soul" as a defense. It's their excuse. I'm pretty lax about AUs and such, but when these people, take, say the Naruto fandom, they create an oc that is Tsunade's little sister... and the pairing is Sasuke/oc. That's where I draw the line.

It despairs me even more when there are countless reviews for these stories saying 'great chappie' and 'update soon plz'. The grammar tends to be horrendous, plot and oc is weak, canon's are OOC etc...

Er... ^^;; [/rant]

I just needed to vent.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:06 pm
Yavie Feels Pretty
Judas lscariot

Don't try to pick fights. It's immature.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm asking if this thread is necessary. If not, it's my duty to delete it.

I don't see how it is necessary, but I'm giving you a chance to defend it.  

The Man who was Thursday

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:04 am
I am a reader and writer of Care Bear fan fiction. That's right, I said Care Bear fan fiction. Get your giggles out now. I am not ashamed of it.

In my interest, I have run into some very bad fan fiction, and some extra ordinary fan fiction. Many people are just trying out their wings, hoping to get better as they go. Some improve, and some never do. Often when I read such fan fiction, I often know if I will like the story shortly after reading into it. If it grabs me, I keep reading. If not, I stop reading.

Ask yourself if it's really worth reading all the way through.
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:23 am
'Now, you cannot find a single story on the site for fear of "OMG LYK A HOT GURL WIT A BAD PAST SHOWS UP AND SHES A VAMPIRE AND SHES IN LOVE WITH LEGGY! OMG LEGGYS SO HAWT!!11oneone" popping up on your screen and singing your corneas.'

I would like to point out that you said, "popping up on your screen and singing your corneas. I think you meant stinging.

Just trying to help! 3nodding  

Greerok

Yavie Feels Pretty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:51 am
Judas lscariot

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm asking if this thread is necessary. If not, it's my duty to delete it.

I wasn't aware you were a mod, 'pologies. I was thinking you were another troller out to flame me for no good reason whatsoever. That's what happens when you frequent the GD. It was a rather harsh way to start an inquiry, however.

Is it necessary? It was really just an opinion, much like any other thread. I won't argue if it bothers you that much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:04 am
Yavie Feels Pretty
Judas lscariot

I wasn't aware you were a mod, 'pologies. I was thinking you were another troller out to flame me for no good reason whatsoever. That's what happens when you frequent the GD. It was a rather harsh way to start an inquiry, however.

Is it necessary? It was really just an opinion, much like any other thread. I won't argue if it bothers you that much.

It's apparently been changed since my first post, so I'll leave it.  

The Man who was Thursday

Punkghoul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:06 pm
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:23 am

'Now, you cannot find a single story on the site for fear of "OMG LYK A HOT GURL WIT A BAD PAST SHOWS UP AND SHES A VAMPIRE AND SHES IN LOVE WITH LEGGY! OMG LEGGYS SO HAWT!!11oneone" popping up on your screen and singing your corneas.'

I would like to point out that you said, "popping up on your screen and singing your corneas. I think you meant stinging.

Just trying to help!

I believe the first statement "singeing your eyes" was correct. You know, the act of burning something?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:55 pm
Mis-fit
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:23 am

Just trying to help!

I believe the first statement "singeing your eyes" was correct. You know, the act of burning something?

He WAS right in that I misspelled something. I forgot the "e" in the word, but all is right with the world, now.

(But still, sir, I plan on majoring in English. I really don't want to be hounded for spelling and grammar. =3)

Yavie Feels Pretty

-MyOrgasmicSuicide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:16 pm
u don't know how important txt talk is 2 ppl...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff