Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
What the hell is "ish"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is worse?
  "ish"
  smiles/hearts
View Results

iCrayon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:12 pm
I came across this lovely display of literacy in the avatar arena:

"Do Ya Believe In Angels?

-

well okies here ish my avi ;P
i like it well it ish an angelic avi <3
and it ish a bit blue xDD
well the avi remind me on a god i dunno why bute yeah...uhhh nuuu im bad in writing a description lol xDD
well okies.. hope you like it <3"

I don't know which is worse, the invention of the word "ish," or the excessive use of a smile/heart after every line.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:14 pm
'ish'= is.
Ugh, now I feel dirty.  

Archdemonessa

Altima the Dragonic Lord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:15 pm
Well...Ok...A Grammatically (sp?) challenged human...sad...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:08 pm
ish...Call me Ishmael...

Sorry, that just popped in my head...I'm not even sure if thtat's the correct way of spelling it...

I think bad grammar is very sad...  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:42 pm
"Ishmael" is correct...and that made me laugh.

The only times I've seen "ish" used are when the speaker is supposed to be drunk, or has a deformed mouth (a harelip or something similar, like the jailer in Berserk...). It seems like such a waste to me otherwise because you add a letter! I thought txt tlk was used to make things shorter and easier?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:07 pm
It's part of the vocabulary for the kind of txt-talk that is supposed to sound really cute and 'artsy'. Ish, meh, etc.
What annoys me almost more is the 'okies' and how most of the sentences begin with 'well'. emo

ljosberinn

Seabutcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:37 pm
"Ish" is also a suffix I use (even in real life), meaning "to a degree" or "somewhat". Usually slightly negative. For instance:
"How are you?"
"Ok- ish, and you?"  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:51 pm
'ish' and '<3/xD' don't really bother me because I use them myself when around my friends. I only use stuff like 'ish' and 'okies' on the net though since speaking through the internet, it's like a monotone almost, so I find using them sometimes gives a certain sense to what I'm saying. -shrugs- That's just me though.  

xAvenirYuinax

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:24 pm
In Final Fantasy X and X-2, there was a race that were known as hypello. The hypello looked like aquatic creatures and had no choice but to add an "h" after every "s." For instance, Barkeep, who was in FFX-2, used to say, "Mish Yuna, what can I do for yoo?"

Sorry, again this just another thing that popped into my head relating to the word "ish."  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games