Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Has begging gotten worse?
  Yeah...
  No where have you been?
View Results

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:01 pm
Has anyone noticed the level of beggars going up?

I am not the most generous person... I dont tend to believe people who just randomly ask for money. I give to my sister and close friends. I have never asked for money... a few times my sister has give me stuff when she knew I was questing... but thats it.

But in the past week I have gotten at least one PM a day asking for money and or items I am selling. Is this new or just now happening to me?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:08 pm
I've only had one person ask for stuff, I think it was my coco or my guitar. I told him where to go ^^  

Isobel Bellamy

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:08 pm
Sadly beggars tend to be a staple portion of gaia. -_-* I haven't gotten a bad begging PM in a little while, but when I got 10th place in the arena once...well every day or so I was greated with a new PM with sob stories about how I should donate (a lot more gold than I had usually) to people. -_-*

I generally believe that people should work hard towards their goals, and that people who wish to help will be there to help them. I know I've given to my friends on gaia, and even to the random quest thread on occasion, but I choose on my own terms who I wish to help. PMing me asking for a donation is the quickest way for people to recieve absolutly nothing from me other than a chidding PM regarding how rude it is to beg others.

I think part of why there are so many people who beg is because a lot of gaia's poplulation is comprised of young adults who have to rely on the kindness of their parents for every aspect of life. Because they are so used to asking people for things, they think it's okay to ask strangers for aid as well, which really isn't the case.

Just my 2 cents.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:18 pm
Best part of being new and poor, no one asks me for anything ^^;;

One person was nice enough to donate money to me when my account was a day or so old, but I didn't ask them to do anything... so yeah that was sweet of her.

I've never really been asked to donate, so I suppose I can't relate to you
sweatdrop  

Silly_Doll

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:22 pm
Silly_Doll
Best part of being new and poor, no one asks me for anything ^^;;

One person was nice enough to donate money to me when my account was a day or so old, but I didn't ask them to do anything... so yeah that was sweet of her.

I've never really been asked to donate, so I suppose I can't relate to you
sweatdrop

It tends to happen after you've gotten even one good item...like for instance, when you get that coco that you're questing for there will be a good chance people will think you have a ton of gold and ask/demand that you donate to them because of that. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:29 pm
lurichan
I think part of why there are so many people who beg is because a lot of gaia's poplulation is comprised of young adults who have to rely on the kindness of their parents for every aspect of life. Because they are so used to asking people for things, they think it's okay to ask strangers for aid as well, which really isn't the case.

That is very true! When you are asking and being given everything you want... you think that is the way it should be! And I did just start selling a lot in the market place...

It is just frustrating... I used to reply but I have been ignoring anyone I don’t know because even if they start off talking (I don’t have many friend a talk to a lot on Gaia so I am always up to chat) they usually ask for gold after a few pms.  

DarkPrincesa

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:34 pm
DarkPrincesa

That is very true! When you are asking and being given everything you want... you think that is the way it should be! And I did just start selling a lot in the market place...

It is just frustrating... I used to reply but I have been ignoring anyone I don’t know because even if they start off talking (I don’t have many friend a talk to a lot on Gaia so I am always up to chat) they usually ask for gold after a few pms.

Ahh, once you start selling in the marketplace a good majority of people think you have a good chunk of gold because 1000 gold seems like an awful lot of money to spend on the vending pass when you first start out on gaia after all. A lot of people don't seem to realize the majority of people selling in the marketplace are doing so in order to be closer to finishing a quest (especially if people donated items to them to help them in their quest).

Usually the PMs I get are much more direct and don't even beat around the bush of trying to make friends with me first. -_-* One of the reasons I don't like to have conversations by PM too often. For one it fills my box quickly, and two I'm more likely to get begging PMs than not.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:35 pm
I'm not sure whether the begging problem has gone up or whether I've gradually been getting more as my avatar equips more donation items. The spiffier you look, the more people will send you PMs saying 'Omg I heart ur avy will u give me goldz?"  

Veruniel
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:37 pm
Veruniel
I'm not sure whether the begging problem has gone up or whether I've gradually been getting more as my avatar equips more donation items. The spiffier you look, the more people will send you PMs saying 'Omg I heart ur avy will u give me goldz?"

*nods* True enough... if I went wandering around the chatterbox in this outfit, I would run a good chance of getting mobbed. 0o;  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:41 pm
That must be it... maybe its not getting worse... I am just getting out there more. I'd love to help people, but I dont know who to belive. And I quest too. I am a girl... I see, I want, I buy. Its a expensive habit! Its just sad.  

DarkPrincesa

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:45 pm
DarkPrincesa
That must be it... maybe its not getting worse... I am just getting out there more. I'd love to help people, but I dont know who to belive. And I quest too. I am a girl... I see, I want, I buy. Its a expensive habit! Its just sad.

I will admit that some beggars are being a bit more aggressive lately though. Instead of taking the time to type out a story or a reason, sometimes they just demand gold like it's their right to recieve it. -_-*

Oddly enough I got the most people begging me for gold when I was questing. I don't really understand that logic either. Why ask someone who is working on getting something for gold? The logic in that evades me right now. -_-*

It's fun to buy new items. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:48 pm
DarkPrincesa

I know how you feel. I like to help people too... especially people who've been hacked after doing the same ammount of work to get good items that I have. But sadly, the vast majority of people who claim to be hacked are either 1) newbies or 2) mules for accounts that have scads of money already and are doing just fine.

Another problem is that if you help one person, they'll often rush off and pm their friends to say that [insert username here] will help everyone with their quests.

What it boils down to is that if I help one stranger who comes to me begging for gold, I'll have to help them all. I've decided not to feel guilty about turning them down, because I've worked for my Gaia gear and I should be able to enjoy it.  

Veruniel
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:53 pm
Veruniel

I know how you feel. I like to help people too... especially people who've been hacked after doing the same ammount of work to get good items that I have. But sadly, the vast majority of people who claim to be hacked are either 1) newbies or 2) mules for accounts that have scads of money already and are doing just fine.

Another problem is that if you help one person, they'll often rush off and pm their friends to say that [insert username here] will help everyone with their quests.

What it boils down to is that if I help one stranger who comes to me begging for gold, I'll have to help them all. I've decided not to feel guilty about turning them down, because I've worked for my Gaia gear and I should be able to enjoy it.

That's a very good point. A lot of people who go around PMing random people are mule accounts just seeing how much they can get people to give them without having to work themselves to earn it. -_-* The "i've been hacked" thing does happen on occasion, and it really is sad when it does occur, but WAY too many people claim to be hacked that in reality have not. I think it's sad that people take advantage of the good will of others simply because they are too lazy to work for themselves towards items.

I consider myself a bit eccentric on gaia... on occasion I'll give away random letters I've let collect dust in my inventory to people that I think deserve it, but that usually comes from wandering around in the questing sub-forum until I've found a thread that shows a lot of effort put into it. I still offer words of encouragement to many of the threads I find, and occasionally do smaller scale things like make a banner for someone who really needs it even... but a lot of times I'm really leary of giving actual gold to people because of the high number of scammers out there.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:15 pm
I haven't gotten a begger yet, but I have had a few people telling me to go to effin' hell.

They weren't nice.  

[TL]

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 pm
I don't believe I've ever gotten a beggar. Which is a bit odd, considering. Maybe I come off as too greedy?  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff