Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Unbelievable

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Carsayzlyum

2,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:35 pm
I am in tenth grade, and this year I joined our school's Mock Trial team with my friend Amber. She asked me to check her opening statement for grammar mistakes. I agreed, and as I was going through it, I noticed that, although it was coherent and she had obviously put a lot of effort into it, she used the word "is" in completely random places. I showed her the paper and asked why she was using "is" in such a strange manner, since the word is a verb. She replied that she didn't know that it was a verb, and didn't understand why it mattered. I almost cried right there. Our educational system is going down the drain.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:37 pm
It's not!

It's a copula.

WHICH IN ENGLISH IS STILL A VERB BUT I DON'T CARE OKAY  

The Man who was Thursday

Carsayzlyum

2,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:34 pm
Copula: Also called a linking verb. In grammar, averb such as be, seem, or look, that serves as a connecting link or establishes an identity between subject and complement. (www.dictionary.com, definition 2)
It's still a verb.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:55 pm
Carsayzlyum
Copula: Also called a linking verb. In grammar, averb such as be, seem, or look, that serves as a connecting link or establishes an identity between subject and complement. (www.dictionary.com, definition 2)
It's still a verb.

White text.

Also: That definition is inaccurate. It's not a verb in every language.  

The Man who was Thursday

Astral Sun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:57 pm
Wait, could you give me an example of something your friend wrote? I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games