Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How do you feel about fragments?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Joss-Box

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:09 pm
Before you answer with and angry "no," let me explain. I hate fragments too. But in the case of creativity, do you think it would be OK? What I mean is, if a writer is going for an effect, is it OK to let those fragments slide. If you think it is OK, when is it TOO much?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:10 pm
Fragments? Fine.  

The Man who was Thursday

Astral Sun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:49 pm
Anything is fine when used for effect, but the effect must work.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:52 pm
I actually don't mind fragments if:
1. It's for effect.
2. It's something being said.

But my spell-checker is retarded. It says anything under twelve words is a fragment. xp  

Mother Superior

Dapper Businesswoman

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Full closet 200

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:57 pm
I write as I speak. I often speak in fragments, because I won't present a speech over a "yes" or "no" question as I am often expected to do in class. (I hate my teachers.)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:00 pm
I love fragments, but only so long as they're used to emphasize something, and not just a result of the writer's laziness.  

Aevy

Angel80272

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:14 pm
I use fragments occasionally for effect, but anything more than two or three in one paragraph is usually too much. Really. It is.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:38 pm
I think they're fine as long as they aren't too common. Using a purposeful fragment every three sentences takes away from the impact. However, in an essay using more a more formulaic rubric, I wouldn't try to get away with it.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Pippinpaddleoppsokopolis

Cluttered Sex Symbol

9,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:21 am
I've used them in poetry but otherwise, I don't really like them...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:34 am
Are these fragments you speak of something along the line of this?

Quote:
Purdue offers many majors in engineering. Such as electrical, chemical, and industrial engineering.

Fix
Purdue offers many majors in engineering, such as electrical, chemical, and industrial engineering.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Xx_Murderous Doll_xX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:58 pm
Joss-Box
Before you answer with and angry "no," let me explain. I hate fragments too. But in the case of creativity, do you think it would be OK? What I mean is, if a writer is going for an effect, is it OK to let those fragments slide. If you think it is OK, when is it TOO much?

I tend to use fragments a lot during conversations via messengers and such. In cordial, formal writing, however, no matter how much of a dramatic effect the writer's going for, I can't stand fragments. They jump out at my eyes and I want to strangle whichever editor overlooked it. Then again, I tend to be a bit Grammar-O.C.D. sometimes...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:06 pm
I read somewhere that, "Go!" is actually the shortest complete sentence in the world. This implies that simply saying "yes," or "no" is a fragment, so we all speak in fragments quite often.

As for writing, fragments are quite useful, but I usually find it more useful, writing-wise, in speech. Though, I do use it to stress earlier statements, but never really alone...Does that make sense?

My problem tends to be run-on sentences... sweatdrop

Dreaming in the Theatre

Amphion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm
It really depends on the context. In formal, academic research papers, it's best to avoid them. Whenever dialogue is involved, fragments are bound to start springing up, unless you want your characters to sound stiff and lifeless. Sometimes, in a narration, they can be used for good dramatic effect, but, as with anything, they can be overused, at which point they become insipid and annoying.

(Poetry is to far removed from prose in most cases for the idea of a sentence to apply.)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:03 am
Shedra Helix
I write as I speak. I often speak in fragments, because I won't present a speech over a "yes" or "no" question as I am often expected to do in class. (I hate my teachers.)

I never understood how you were supposed to do that, but I think I finally found out.  

Khale Demos

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff