Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A little help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Altima the Dragonic Lord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:54 pm
My friend types like this:

awwwww rose i feel soo sorry for u!!!!! you shoudl be in my Modern world history class cause i have a good grade in there nad it is easy enough. you would have a 99%. and my biology class is (it seems) easier then urs too. do you wnat to tell me the stress ur goign through cauase it helps to tell someone and i might be able to help too. in case u wonder everyoen loves you and we just wnat you to be happy. i am sure james would be agreeing doubly with that too. well right now i am in comm tech! lol. ok byez. i love you.

Any tips on helping me set him straight? Please PM...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:00 pm
Just tell him you won't talk to him until he gets his grammer and punctuation correct.  

marshmallew

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:31 pm
Not talking to him simply because of the way he types is very juvenile.

It may seem like you're the better person; really you're just intolerant and immature.

Anyway, the best way you can deal with that is simply to mention it to him.
Tell him "I don't like the way you type. If you could please improve your grammar and punctuation, I'd better understand what you're trying to say."
(Or something of the sort.)

You cannot force anyone to do anything, unless there's something in it for them. Unless you're giving him a reward for good typing, all you can do is ask and hope he listens.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 pm
I agree; the cold shoulder is a bit drastic for this.

I also agree that the simplest way is to tell him....If you type grammatically correct to him, yet he continues to type with txt-tlk, then he isn't going to pick up on the way you type soon. Just tell him that you get chronic headaches from reading his letters and kindly ask him to just start using proper grammar.

Dreaming in the Theatre

Lacus_And_Kira

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:21 pm
Just gently tell him the truth about how you feel about his typing skills. That's about the only thing you can do in a situation like this.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:19 pm
I agree that it's too drastic to stop talking to your friend just because he types badly.

There isn't much you can do besides telling him that you can't understand him and ask him to type in English without the shortcuts. Also, make sure you set a good example by typing properly when you type to him.

Finally, look on the bright side. The passage that you quoted from your friend isn't that bad compared to what some of my friends type. You might also want to take a look at the "TXT-TLK horror stories" subforum and see how well your friend types in comparison.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Mystery24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 am
One of my friends types like that to. Just deal with it. At least they usually spell out thier words do it's legible.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:54 am
I usually just correct them on spelling and grammar, assuming that if they know and respect me, they will fix it at least when they talk to me. I don't abandon them completely, but some times I will tell them that their typing is killing my brain, so we need to talk in person, not on the computer.  

HarlequinGoddess

red_moon_wolfess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:09 am
my friend types the same way. He used to IM me and every time I would have to correct his grammar; Finaly I just got so fed up with it that I told him to stop typing like that because it bugged me, at least now he trys to correct himself, I have to give him points for that.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:49 am
Maybe you sohuld do the same.
'Trys'?
TRIES. Don't make me spell it out. [/grammarnazi]

Okay, that past. It IS good that your friend tries to correct themself. I don't mind imperfect grammar if they make an effort.  

MadnessFreak

Spike Ragiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:12 pm
Well, I private messaged you to tell you, but for fun, this is what I would write back.

"Dear, Illiterate Buddy of Mine.
Your horrible grammer is enough to make my eyes bleed, and you abuse the TXT talk as if you had no other way to type. You need to learn how to spell. You need to learn how to use grammer. You need to learn to NOT use TXT talk. Notice I capitalized the not and put it in bolded letters. For your puny mind, I'll tell you what I meant. I meant you do not, under no concept, should you EVER use TXT talk. Thank-you." ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:13 pm
red_moon_wolfess
my friend types the same way. He used to IM me and every time I would have to correct his grammar; Finaly I just got so fed up with it that I told him to stop typing like that because it bugged me, at least now he trys to correct himself, I have to give him points for that.

Finally. ^^  

Spike Ragiot

ramforce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:11 pm
Make sure he knows you do not approve the way he types and set a good example on proper writing. That should do it.

You should encourage him/her to do something but never to force a desired behavior.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games