Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Tales from the Home Improvement store... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:53 pm
Does anyone else (the gals out there) get this treatment when you walk into a place like Home Depot or Lowes or what have you where all the clerks all dote on you and ask you all sorts of questions to make sure you know what you're doing?

I must get a good anectdote from Home Depot every other week. I have to share todays. Please share if you have such odd moments!:

I work in theatre. Basically my job description is make cheap stuff look like something completely different. Today's crafterly project is: make three sets of wrist shackles for the Crucible (If you've never read it it's about the witchtrials in Salem. ooh. ahh)

So I go to Home Depot to find some metal parts to become the bits that go around your wrists, and some itty bitty hinges and some chain (to chain then together, natch)

The helpful friendly guys at Home Depot have to cut my chain for me, and the guy who's paged over the intercom passes me twice before asking "are you the person wanting chain?" And I say "yes, and he says "Oh, sorry, I thought you were waiting for a significant other" (c'mon boys... girls can buy chain too!) So I pick out my chain and I tell him I want 2 feet. and he looks as me like I have three eyes.

"2 feet? That all?" he asks

"yes."

"you sure?" he asks again

"Yes" I say and add, "I work in theatre" because to me that should explain everything.

Well he helpfully cuts my chain and writes the code number on a little twisty tie and before he hands it to me he asks, "So what are you going to do with only two feet of chain?"

I couldn;t help but look him straight in the eye and in the most sober voice I could muster, reply "I'm cutting it into 2 1 foot sections, attaching those sections to wrist shackles and chaining up some witches."

He must not have been listening to that "I'm in theatre" part of the conversation because he handed me the chain with all the delicacy that someone would hand over an S&M whip and replied "you... you have fun with that miss" and walked away very very quickly.

I love Home Depot!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:10 pm
~
I get treatment like that in hardware stores, in electronics stores, in video game stores, in sports stores.
A girl is incapable of a) swinging a hammer, b) know how to set up a stereo system/use computers, c) play through an entire video game without some guy to come do the hard parts, d) have half an idea what sort of chain would fit on a bike, what sneakers are good, etc.
That's what we have the menfolk for ;p

I would love to have seen the look on his face when you told him that whee

~

Tes

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:43 am
Being a sociology major, I find that story highly entertaining rofl thanks for sharing heart

Maybe as a social experiment a woman could dress up like a guy, go into home depot or what have you, buy something, then go in as herself and buy the same exact thing..... xd dammit why did i not thnk of that in sex and gender?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:59 am
That is sooo funny! My Mom was reading over my shoulder and almost fell over laughing! I know what you mean though I went to a Home Hardware store right beside my Dad's work to pick up some washers and nuts for a macrame braclet I was making from AlternaCrafts by Jessica Vitkus and the lady I talked to looked at me like I was nuts because I didn't know exactly what size I wanted til I explained that I was using them in a bracelet.  

sparklingbutterfly

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:31 am
gemini6184

Maybe as a social experiment a woman could dress up like a guy, go into home depot or what have you, buy something, then go in as herself and buy the same exact thing..... xd dammit why did i not thnk of that in sex and gender?

oooh... I wanna see a video of that!

I thought about this thread when I saw your bracelet, Sparkling Butterfly smile Then again most of the guys I know don't know what size nuts and washers they need either *chuckles*  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:51 am
You should see them when you ask how well a bolt and washer take to being painted with nail polish. rofl
A friend needed an "earring" for an outdoor display he was working on. I thought nail polish would weather the elements pretty well. I suggest a clear coat of something else over the nail polish if you try this though, just to keep it looking shiney.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:01 pm
I've never had that problem, but it's probably because I've never found anything interesting there when I go with my dad, lol. ^^; They seem to always think I'm just the kid tagging along, lol. ^^; Maybe I should go there and randomly look at stuff and see if I can draw attention to myself, lol. The most I've ever had the home hardware people say to me (and this was at home depot, lol, we dont have a home hardware store itself) "DONT PLAY IN THE CARPET! YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THERE!" (When I was younger I used play in the thing that held all the huge rolls of carpet, and one day they finally scolded me for it, lol)  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:42 pm
*reads story*
*dies laughing*  

Trekkette

Silvander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:40 pm
The last time I ventured into a hardware store, it was to find flat steel to make impromptu boning in a mock-up corset before ordering the coated corset boning. I walked in and asked if they had flat pieces of steel, and got walked over to the stand because obviously I couldn't ind my way there by myself. How much do I want? I have no idea. Let's start with twelve feet.
I got a strange look for that. Apparently I'm supposed to need more than that for whatever most people use it for.
I then asked what I needed to cut thru this stuff. He told me that I could tell them how long I wanted it and he'd cut it at the shop. I told him if I knew how long I'd wanted it, I'd have ordered my boning and could he cut me about 25 pieces when I got the measurements from my channels in a few days? LOL, no. He left me alone pretty quckly after that.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:55 am
I have a wonderful tendency to end up in Home Depots at like 8am, right as their opening, to pick up stuff before school. So far this year, I've needed MDF, mahogony, autmotive primer, and clear satin coating for wood. And sanding blocks. And they always give me a weird look when I ask for stuff and demand to know what I need it for. Morons.  

Silver Mist

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:20 am
Silver Mist
I have a wonderful tendency to end up in Home Depots at like 8am, right as their opening, to pick up stuff before school. So far this year, I've needed MDF, mahogony, autmotive primer, and clear satin coating for wood. And sanding blocks. And they always give me a weird look when I ask for stuff and demand to know what I need it for. Morons.

Yeah, I always wonder *why* they have to asked what it's for.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:02 pm
YourAzureGoddess
Silver Mist

Yeah, I always wonder *why* they have to asked what it's for.

Perhaps to be able to recomend the best material for the job...

...or they're just nosy! blaugh  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:25 pm
Or they're assholes.

I mean, who could ever believe that women had enough brains to MAKE something from HARDWARE? surprised  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:52 pm
This thread has made me deicde to share my next homework project when its due. (Its second quarter capstone, so its a 3 week project, so I wont have pics for nearly two more weeks xd )  

Silver Mist

peachkitten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:39 pm
intresting... when i ever went to home depot, no one ever helps me. i stood in the powertool section for about an hour before i just grabbed what i needed. and i'm about as petite girly as they can get. xd  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff