Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Tutorials
Pieced Fabric Book Cover

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silvander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:07 pm
Dimentions when finished: 7.5 X 10.5 inches. Sufficient for mass produced paperbacks of even the widest spines.

1/4 seam allowances are figured in.

You will need:
6 strips of 11 x 3 1/8 in fabric. I use 3 different patterns. It looks nice that way, but you can really use any combination that pleases you.
1 8 X 11 piece of medium weight interfacing. I also sometimes use felt batting which makes the book covers very fluffy feeling. Like pillows.
1 8 X 11 piece of scrap muslin. It won't be seen, it just keeps the inside nice and slide-y. You'll see what I mean when I explain how to put it together.
1 8 X 8 piece of one of your pattern fabrics.
Some ribbon for the handles and bookmark, or you can make a fabric tube, etc. Approximately 12 inches each. It's really about preference on that one.

Putting it together:
Always use 1/4 inch allowances, or change the dimentions to permit your favorite seam allowance.
Sew four of the 11 x 3 1/8 strips together to form the back piece.
Hem the remaining two 11 x 3 1/8 strips on one side only (your sleeves).
Stack the materials thusly: the scrap muslin, interfacing, the back piece (your four sewn-together strips) right side up. Now you have to position your handles and bookmark where you want them, facing the center of your cover. I like my handles 2 inches from top and bottom, and the bookmark slightly right of center. Place the 2 hemmed strips wrong side up (and hemmed side towards center) on right and left of the stack. They will become your sleeves. Place the 8 x 8 piece centered and wrong side up. Pin everything securely. Especially your ribbons. They will be escape artists.

Sew around all four sides.

Now, Turn your 8 x 8 piece inside out so that it is behind the muslin. Then turn your sleeves inside out.

Now you have a book cover! The 8 x 8 piece will fall behind your flaps so that the inside of your cover is pretty too. However, if it extended all the way to the edges, you wouldn't be able to do the simple, four-sides sewing. The muslin underneath it keeps book corners from catching on the batting when I use it, and I got in the habit of using it always because the books slide in more nicely.

Sit back and admire how nicely it hides the cover of your latest romance novel from your dad's prying eyes.. twisted  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:58 am
I SHOULD NEED A PICTURE , PLEASE!  

shalymar

shalymar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:59 am
WHEN YOU HAVE IT  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:30 am
yeah I'd love a picture ^^  

Bunnybam

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:03 am
I shall have to make a few of these book covers.

Curse my aunt for getting me hooked on romance novels. gonk rofl  
Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff