Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knitting projects: Birthday presents

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Birthday present?
  A scarf
  Wrist warmers
  I have a better idea!
  Meh... Just buy something instead.
View Results

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:20 am
I got an invitation to a birthday party from one of my former classmates. She's turning 24 and I'm thinking about knitting her something as a birthday present. The question is: what?

Present for a 24-year old girl?
I was thinking about a scarf or perhaps wrist warmers since I want something that's easy to make but still useful. The party is the 17th so I've got a little less than three weeks to come up with something.

Present for a 29-year old guy?
Another friend is turning 29 in three days but I've been thinking and I can't come up with a simple guy-thing to knit. No, I'm not knitting him a p***s cosy! I have about two weeks before we meet so I guess I could knit a present if I came up with something good.

I don't have a big stash or a great variety of knitting needles but I have some regular ones and a couple of dpn sets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:26 pm
Even though the girl is 24 years old, I think knitting some time of stuffed animal would be amazing. You could knit her favorite animal for her!!! (Even thought it's not exactly useful). A scarf is pretty kool to though.

As for the guy...it's all according to his personality. When it comes to guys I usually hit Walmart xp

RocknRollDragon

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:39 pm
RocknRollDragon
Even though the girl is 24 years old, I think knitting some time of stuffed animal would be amazing. You could knit her favorite animal for her!!! (Even thought it's not exactly useful). A scarf is pretty kool to though.

As for the guy...it's all according to his personality. When it comes to guys I usually hit Walmart xp

I've got limited experience with stuffed animals and I have no clue what her favourite animal is... We're just not that close. I knitted a pig once but I don't have the pattern anymore.

I guess I'll buy a book or something for the guy... He sings in a choir but I can't knit a tuning fork, right? blaugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:53 pm
I'd make a scarf for the girl - do a little background research and figure out what colors she wears.

For the guy, i think you shouldn't underestimate the power of fingerless mitts - fairly easy to knit and always useful. but as you don't have much time, i'd buy something.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:14 pm
The first thing that came to my mind for the woman is wrist warmers or fingerless gloves. Wrist warmers are definitely easier, though, so if that's an issue, I'd go with those. I wish I had a pair for myself actually. xp

For the guy, I was thinking maybe a hat, if you think he'd use it. Some people don't like hats, so I don't know if that's a useful suggestion, but it's an idea. Hats are usually pretty simple, and there are plenty of male hat patterns on the internets.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:26 am
I've never made fingerless gloves or any other glove. The most glovelike I've ever made is a wrist warmer with a hole for the thumb.

I've bougt some cheap acrylic to try shadow knitting or whatever it's called when you get a different pattern depending on how you look at the work. Like with the alien scarf in one of the stitch and b***h books. (I assume a few of you might have read it razz )

If I don't like the results I'll buy some chunky yarn in a pretty colour and speed knit a scarf.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

gemini6184

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:10 am
Maybe a bracelet for the girl would be best, something you can make quickly. Knitty.com has some cute knit cuff bracelets.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:59 pm
Thanks for your advice!

I've decided on a scarf but I haven't decided if I'll be giving it to Olof or Katja... Olof was joking when I tried to explain shadow stitch:

"You could knit a scarf that looked like a hat"

I'm tempted to knit him a scarf with the word "Mössa" (that's "hat" in Swedish) in shadow stitch... I need to find a suitable paper to construct the pattern on. I used regular checked paper last time but since the squares are... square the pattern tend to get a bit elongated when I knit.

Hmmm...

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:50 pm
Annchen

I'm tempted to knit him a scarf with the word "Mössa" (that's "hat" in Swedish) in shadow stitch... I need to find a suitable paper to construct the pattern on. I used regular checked paper last time but since the squares are... square the pattern tend to get a bit elongated when I knit.

Hmmm...

I love that idea. ^^

I used to work at a clothing store, and a guy came in and bough a gift card for $31.54. We culdnt figure out why. About a week later, a different guy comes in to buy a shirt and pays with the same gift card! He said his friend gave it to with the explination that "Well, it had had 50 on it, but I saw this tie I couldnt do without..." Hence proving, off kilter birthday gifts rule. ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:03 pm
http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/matrix/e-index.html

You put in your gauge, it gives you paper. 3nodding  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm
kochi~mochi