Reply Memorable Threads
Ways to train a cat?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shinigami Whistle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:52 pm
My roomates and I just got a cat. She's really cute, gray, striped. Probably around a 3/4ths to a year old. Her name is Mia.

I'll have to take pictures or film of her sometime and show you all.

But anyway. One problem, she isn't potty trained or anything yet. And none of my roomates or I have ever trained a cat, so we're not sure what the first thing to do is.

So, what advice would you guys have?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:03 pm
with all our cats, we locked them into a single room with a litterbox. the room to keep them secure for a few weeks until they learn that it's home and then they all usually found their own way to the litterbox...

mm...and for kitty litter...I usually use the unscented Betinite clay (sp?) so it clumps so you don't have to empty all the litter  

Rainey_angel81

Newski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 pm
Cats generally instinctively know to use a litterbox. If not, what I recommend is patience. You could keep them in one room as suggested, but that might piss the cat off. Probably be alot easier though. But I trained my rabbits and cats.

Just keep reminding them where it is. Also, if they have an accident, show them where it is, and then show them the litter box. You might have to pick up poop by hand (tissues are great, aren't they?) and place it in the box to show them. That's what I had to do with my rabbits. It took forever because Rabbits don't listen as well as cats do.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:40 pm
Like Rainy said, keeping them in a single room or smaller area is a good way to encourage litter use. Make sure you put it in a quiet area, and have her sniff it so she knows of its existance. The next time you catch your new cat going, if she misses, take some of the stool and put a little in the litter box and bring her over and place her near it and have her sniff it. This is a way of kind of pointing out, look here is your scent, here is where you should go potty. If your cat starts using a particular corner to go, try placing the litter box there.

Is the cat a street stray? If you got her from the petstore or humane society, she is probably already fairly potty trained. Most cats who are kept in cages like that, quickly learn to use the litter when they have to go. Being neat freaks they like to keep their areas clean.

Of course if you see her looking like she is about ot go somewhere in the house, rush her over to the litter box if you can. Also if you catch her using it, some kitty treats are always good when she is finished.  

Krissim Klaw

Lady Cobra Smirk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 am
User Image

Get a litter quitter straight away. Train your kitty to use the toilet~

Hey.. I did it.. >> CX

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:24 am
When I got Fulard he just knew to go to the litter box. I really didn't have to train him...Although if I don't clean out the litter box every other day he'll go somewhere else.  

Karasuaki

Nazi Commisar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm
hmm... well i haven't had a problem with my cat and the litter box.
though I did train him to sit and haise his paw before I give him his treats
"its soooo cute ^_^"  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:15 am
I'm happy to say that we didnt' have to train Mia to use the litterbox at all. I was so excited when I walked into the room and saw her run back under my bed and saw that she had used teh litterbox xD (last thing I'd ever thought would make me happy, haha.)

My roomate Amanda trained mia to raise her hand and give her a high five. (sorta, anyway) it's so cute xD

I love Mia. She loves having her belly rubbed and is really playful. She's over half a year old and still looks so small and young. I guess you could say she's a miniature cat. Which is awsome, I love kittens so if I have a cat that looks like one for a long time, no complaints here xD

And she was a pound stray or anything, just a cat Amanda's parents had at their place and she brought back with her. One of a litter of like....3 or 4? can't remember.

anyway, I really need to take some pictures of her sometime, she's so adorable <3  

Shinigami Whistle

DeletedUsername420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 am
Shinigami Whistle
I'm happy to say that we didnt' have to train Mia to use the litterbox at all. I was so excited when I walked into the room and saw her run back under my bed and saw that she had used teh litterbox xD (last thing I'd ever thought would make me happy, haha.)

My roomate Amanda trained mia to raise her hand and give her a high five. (sorta, anyway) it's so cute xD

I love Mia. She loves having her belly rubbed and is really playful. She's over half a year old and still looks so small and young. I guess you could say she's a miniature cat. Which is awsome, I love kittens so if I have a cat that looks like one for a long time, no complaints here xD

And she was a pound stray or anything, just a cat Amanda's parents had at their place and she brought back with her. One of a litter of like....3 or 4? can't remember.

anyway, I really need to take some pictures of her sometime, she's so adorable <3

Ooooo whee

I love cats....can't have one tho cry Mom thinks "animals dont belong in the house, blah blah", and we can't have an outside cat because theres a busy street right in front. Oh well wink

Oh, and yes, do take some pics! Must have pics of the cuteness xd  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:03 am
As soon as I get my hands on a camera I most defiantly will take pictures :3  

Shinigami Whistle

Zanzarus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:29 pm
Wooo pitchures!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:50 pm
I helped train my best friend's cat... Or at least, I set the kitten down in the litterbox, and he pretty much immediately pooped. Never made a mess after that. I guess we got lucky. smile  

Quintessence

Memorable Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff