Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
At Long Last... the Sweater!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:09 am
So.... I like stories. smile There's a story to this sweater (kind of). It's not my first, but since the last ones were either A. not for me, B. crocheted or C. ugly beginner pieces I really wanted to make a sweater for me that would fit and I would want to wear again and again.

I think I chose the pattern because it has a cute european guy modeling it.

See?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

He's cute!!

The sweater is called "ares" because it's supposed to be remniscent of mideval armor. I call mine "the Buffalo Sweater" not because I stitched it out of buffalo fiber, but because I knit nearly all of it working backstage for "Moon Over Buffalo" It drove the actors crazy watching me knit, not knowing what the finished product would be.

I swapped the angora yarn for plain wool, and I did the accents with Noror Kureyon. I don't like Kureyon for whole garments, but it worked lovely for accents. I ended up stitching one of the darn sleeves twice due to a make up mistake, which should learn me some patience in the future (though I doubt it will.)

So... here's the final project modeled by my rather morning mussed self (whoo ho!)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If I pose like the dude in the book the sweater looks just like his... with yanno, boobs. Maybe I'll take some more pics later. Though I'm lazy sp probably not *chuckle*  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:07 am
That sweater looks great, and it looks great on you. Don't you just love crafting in front of people and not telling them what it will be when you're finished? twisted  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:23 am
Love it!! I want to learn to knit to make sweaters. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:45 am
ForestGreen
That sweater looks great, and it looks great on you. Don't you just love crafting in front of people and not telling them what it will be when you're finished? twisted

Thanks smile

I totally do.. particularly actors because they're always so curious.

Silver Mist
Love it!! I want to learn to knit to make sweaters. ^^

They're pretty easy... and addiciting once you get the hang of them. I suggest starting with a basic pattern and then everything else seems manageable. Skully from the Stitch n' B**ch book is a great first foray.

This was a really nice pattern because the book did a few things I really admire: It showed the guy modeling the sweater in several shots... all of them in fairly natural positions, and it showed the full sweater. So rule number one... pick a pattern that shows you what you're making. I also like the raglan sleeves because they fit me better than drop shoulder ones. With this pattern all I really needed was knit, purl, increase and decrase. I can do more complicated things, but my most favorite patterns use knit and purl variations to create patterns.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

gemini6184

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:50 am
YAY someone else with a sweater fetish whee

I'm working on Eris by the girl from auntie right now heart in forest green heather wool-ease  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:49 pm
cool! i would like to make a sweater but i am too impatient....... i mostly make scarves and handbags  

fashionista468

Fionamule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:13 pm
awesome! thats a great pattern too!
im not a fan of sweaters for myself but i love making them for my cousins!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:15 pm
It looks great. I'd like to knit a sweater, but sweater season is just about over. sweatdrop  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items