Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Christianity Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Resurrekt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:18 pm
i've been on a war path with all the religions of abraham as of late (can't really explain why something is telling me to keep going though)
so i wanna get everyone's opinion on where all the religions of abraham came from.
And don't bother using the bible or any other religious texts i want everyone's own opinion not something from a big black book  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:25 pm
Um.

Abraham, maybe?

-Isel-

Resurrekt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:28 pm
Isel
Um.

Abraham, maybe?

but in a time of paganism where did he get the idea of a "one true god" and all other gods were false?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:37 pm
Drekavac
Isel
Um.

Abraham, maybe?

but in a time of paganism where did he get the idea of a "one true god" and all other gods were false?

that's just it......he didn't...that idea came later.....for him..it was the one true god for those who would one day be israilites...

it was his...face of god  

ketchakik

CapnAlex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:53 pm
Drekavac
Isel
Um.

Abraham, maybe?

You are asking a pretty impossible question there. You would need to look as historical recordings and records to find that out. But wait! The only such record is the Bible, which you have already discounted.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:42 pm
Vanghar
You are asking a pretty impossible question there. You would need to look as historical recordings and records to find that out. But wait! The only such record is the Bible, which you have already discounted.

Actually, it isn't. The Egyptians kept very accurate historical records... which we can read now, thanks to the Rosetta Stone. Almost every major event in Egypt's history is covered. And there's writing from Sumer and Mesopotamia as well.

There are plenty of legends and historical relics as old as the Old Testament that come from the same geographic area. If you're looking for the roots of Christianity and don't want to rely on the Christian version, look for similarities with beliefs of the Sumerians, Babylonians and Assyrian, and the Zoroastrians.

It's also worth studying the eccentric Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten. He came up with a monotheistic religion all by himself... but it didn't catch on.  

Veruniel
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:04 pm
Veruniel

It's also worth studying the eccentric Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten. He came up with a monotheistic religion all by himself... but it didn't catch on.

Ah yes, if memory serves me correctly he was the father of Tutankhamen, and they attempted to strike his name from the records shorty after the attempted switch to a mono-thesist religion.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:28 pm
Oh dear, I have fears that this'll just become another "I hate Christianity" thread...

As for the origins of Abraham's concepts, I suspect it, as with most religions (and science, for that matter), was something he rationalized. Perhaps he made the rationlization that "For everything to function, one omnipotent being would make more sense than dozens of warring partially powerful beings", or something to the like. Who knows? Abraham lived millenia ago, so for all we know, he was taught by someone else who simply was never recorded historically.  

GilAskan
Crew

Resurrekt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:19 pm
Veruniel
Vanghar

Actually, it isn't. The Egyptians kept very accurate historical records... which we can read now, thanks to the Rosetta Stone. Almost every major event in Egypt's history is covered. And there's writing from Sumer and Mesopotamia as well.

There are plenty of legends and historical relics as old as the Old Testament that come from the same geographic area. If you're looking for the roots of Christianity and don't want to rely on the Christian version, look for similarities with beliefs of the Sumerians, Babylonians and Assyrian, and the Zoroastrians.

thank the gods someone has actualy mentioned the ancient egyptian finally biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm
Undoubted
records do not show.
Still,
how can we know?
Perhaps
he knew more than one.
Perhaps
the translated is unclear.

ArynChris

CapnAlex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:50 am
Veruniel
Vanghar

I'm sorry, evdidently I should have been clearer in my posts. I meant records pertaining to the origins of Christianity in a specific sense, rather than those related to it. I know plenty of other records from that time (and earlier), after studying many for history.

Although I suppose by drawing parallels one may be able to find a possible cause etc.

One thing that must be considered is where did all religions come from? Or, more accurately, why? They seem to have arisen to explain the unexplainable. In which case, many peoples made there own religion, so why couldn't Abraham. And what said there couldn't be only one God.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Well the rosetta stone did help but even roman writers documented the existence and workings of jc. And yes i am a christian but surely i wont be judged on that alone  

Nockz the Dark Cellist

Resurrekt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:34 pm
Vanghar
Veruniel
Vanghar

I'm sorry, evdidently I should have been clearer in my posts. I meant records pertaining to the origins of Christianity in a specific sense, rather than those related to it. I know plenty of other records from that time (and earlier), after studying many for history.

Although I suppose by drawing parallels one may be able to find a possible cause etc.

One thing that must be considered is where did all religions come from? Or, more accurately, why? They seem to have arisen to explain the unexplainable. In which case, many peoples made there own religion, so why couldn't Abraham. And what said there couldn't be only one God.

well just the idea of one god popping up in the time of devout paganism...

by the way nice avi razz  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:16 pm
I totally take the credit for introducing you to the term "religions of Abraham".

Why not complete the irony and call your was a Jihad or a Crusade?

Ha.  

Plan-Galere

DR490N

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:28 pm
christianity comes from judaism(despitethe fact that early european christians often victimized and slaughtered jews). "Father Abraham" was from babylon, and he was the one who began Judaism, though it wasn't known as that at the time. His story of Noah's ark, as well as several ofhte biblical stories, has striking similarities to stories from ancient babylon. Most christians will refute this, depite overwhelming evidence.
Now, there is some merit to the bible itself, seeing as many events in it CAN be verified by history, such as the exodus of the jews, and the existance of Jesus, though his real name was not jesus, but Joshua. Again, most christians will refuse such simple facts. The name Jesus is actually a mistranslation, which means that for almost 2000 years, christians have been worshipping a name that never existed in the first place. now, the spread of christianity is a slightly more controversial topic. for he most part in hte past 2000 years it has been spread through force and by demonizing other religions, most of which bear far more merit. The king arthur myth? False. it was invented by a fellow by the name of Bede, to make christianity in britain seem more organized. he invented the anglo-saxons, from which the word England is derived, he also likely invented the figure of Saint Augustine, who reportedly brought christianity to the british isles. in fact, there were multiple interpretation of it all over what is now Wales, Scotland, and England, all of which were small pockets living in perfect harmony with those who still followed the old celtic ways at the time that Saint augustine supposedly existed.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff