The Newest Set of Gaian Items Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:18 pm
There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions regarding the new items. I figured I would put down some of my personal thoughts on it, and see what other people think as well. (you are of course free to disagree, but no flamming or flambaying as per usual).

My Perspective: I find it an intersting twist, and an overall smart move by the administration.

Now before diving into the economics of gaia itself, lets take a look at what the items actually are. They are the clothing that the french nobles used to wear... in other words by the very nature of the items with detail and the status symbol they represent it would actually be unfair to devalue or cheapen them because it is a symbol of "The Golden Age" of France from somwhere around the time frame of the Sun King Louis the XV. (if I remember my history correctly). Because it is a symbolic form of nobility, and all that entails and embodies, I think the pricing is actually believe it or not fair. There are hundreds of items on gaia for new people to choose from, so I don't really see it as "unfair" because there are plenty of other items to choose from. Also I would like to remind people that the musketeer set isn't exactly a cheap item set either, but it still have a staunch number of supporters who like to sport that particular style of attire. High priced items in the stores have occured before, this is just the first time so many of them have shown up all at one time, and perhaps it is a bit overwhelming to have so many items to choose from, but because the pricing is a bit much that means people will take the time to consider their choice carefully instead of buying a whole bunch of different items and then never actually using them.

Now I myself can't currently afford much of anything, but it gives me a goal to work toward, something to quest for again... which I've been needing for the past few months. You see, I've been on gaia for close to 2 years now, and I've exhausted all of the donation item quests I truely wanted to complete. That left me without anything to quest for, and as a questor by nature that left me listless and without a true direction on gaia. I enjoy having a new challenge set before me once again. It gives me something to look forward to attempting to accomplish. ^_^ (As for new donation items... I help support the site, so I don't actually quest for them, thus no challenge. -_-*)

Now from an ecconomic standpoint this was a smart move by the adminstration (in my personal opinion). Now a bunch of people are going to start to sell off their expensive donation items at lower pricing to quickly get rid of them in order to be able to purchase the new items. That means that the people questing for those items have the opportunity to find these items at a lower price. It's a good way to combat the steady inflation that has been running rampant on gaia. This deflation will of course level out after the inital new-ness of the items wear off and people find something else to laud as a status symbol, but for now it gives people questing for donation items a better chance of obtaining them before inflation sky rockets them beyond reach.

Overall I think it was a rather well planned and executed move on the behalf of the gaian staff, and I have to appluad them for their efforts.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 am
The newest set is just plain heart . I wish I had the money for it. I'm going to save money. So I can get such a great skirt.  

Disease of the Flesh

Vexworth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:32 am
The rancidly poor Soda wants that new skirt, dangit.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:57 am
i see your point about the oppulance of the french court and them wanting the prices to be higher, but also i've always felt gaia's prices were way too high on most things.

i love the items though...i wanna get one of those corsets smile  

ketchakik

[TL]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:27 am
It is unfair.We don't need to bring our Shop Prices to Marketplace Prices. It's unfair to people who can't get on as much, or have a job.

Granted, they can control that. But you can make 15k in a reasonable amount of time. 56k? No, you'd need to go into over-drive, and you can't do that. It's unhealthy.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:02 am
[TL]
It is unfair.We don't need to bring our Shop Prices to Marketplace Prices. It's unfair to people who can't get on as much, or have a job.

Granted, they can control that. But you can make 15k in a reasonable amount of time. 56k? No, you'd need to go into over-drive, and you can't do that. It's unhealthy.

But wouldn't it be more of taking some time and questing for something than not possible? It might take a month or two, but it would still be do-able, right?  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:11 am
^^;; 56k eh?

I'll never make it... but I can at least try!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:51 am
If this new set does lower donation items, its bad news for all donation item collectors and pretty much anyone involved in the market value of letters (like me). I hope it won't be too much of a dramatic effect though.  

m a r l o w

ArynChris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:12 pm
Clever.
Beautiful.
Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:19 pm
m a r l o w
If this new set does lower donation items, its bad news for all donation item collectors and pretty much anyone involved in the market value of letters (like me). I hope it won't be too much of a dramatic effect though.

I've already seen a huge influx of lower-priced donation items in the MP.

This is fortunate for many questors, though it's a huge blow to those who rely on buying and selling donation items in order to earn gold (the worth of my stash of investments has lowered by about 25k in the past 24 hours...)

However, this is good news for the less wealthy Gaians. 3nodding

As for the prices of the new items, I don't see them as being unfair. Sure they're rather high, but as lurichan mentioned, they give people somthing to quest for... not to mention that these new items won't inflate like donation items do. 3nodding  

DreamerSpirit

EvFaerAshlynn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:34 pm
I nearly died when I saw these items, but since I'm in the middle of a Kiki Kitty Quest of Death, there's pretty much no way in hell I'll be able to afford these beautifl new items unless I donate my combined allowance for a whole month and donate it to Gaia, then sell all the sealeds I get. gonk Once I get my Kiki, I'm all over these new items.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:43 pm
At least they're available in the shops, and are going to remain avaliable. They may be pricey, but there's no time limit on trying to snatch them or threat of price jumps.

This is the first time items that are so incredibly cool have been up for sale in the shops (in my opinion, at least). It's nice to see Gaia clothes that are donation-item quality but can be nabbed without spending a cent of real money or watching people with faster connections grab them out from under you in the marketplace.

...Now let's just hope they make some fancy winter clothes from Tzarist Russia!  

Veruniel
Crew

-Isel-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 pm
You realize that a smart economic move for MP'ers would be to buy the items and then sell them for lower prices to others, right? Demand is high, revenue will generate eventually.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:51 pm
Isel
You realize that a smart economic move for MP'ers would be to buy the items and then sell them for lower prices to others, right? Demand is high, revenue will generate eventually.

It doesn't work that way. As of right now, there is a monopoly on the new set, you can only buy it at one price. Yes, the MP'ers could just sell it at a lower price after buying it... but they would only loose money in the end.  

Silly_Doll

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:55 pm
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

It really in general is awesome, it gives items at marketplace prices, without inflation, allowing for inflation free questing, this way its a difficult quest yet at the same time achievable since the dastardly inflation isn't in play, unlike the Zombie G-Corp shirt, the Horns of the demon and all the other items I quest These are actually a set of items that I can attain after a while of questing.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces