Divine Poetry Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:09 pm
Poetry has allways been a popular form of offerings upon religious ceremonies and rituals. This is a thread to discuss this, and post some of your own creations.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:10 pm
Here's one I did for a Litha ritual.

From the blood of trees, and the hearts of stars
Come the fair folk from behind the Veil
They live; they revel, and inspire the mortals in a carefree joy

They flit through the air, swim through the water
Dance in the fire, and walk upon the ground
Theirs are the mysteries of the wild

Coasting the ley-lines, cavorting through the night sky
They are seen in dreams, and immortalized by the artists
They are the shine in a child’s eye, an embrace the wind gives

The iron tongue of midnight hath told twelve
Lovers to bed, tis almost fairy time
They are the Fay  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:04 pm
Oh, I have one- from back when I was Wiccan! Um, I originally wrote it in runes, because at the time I was living with my parents and didn't particularly want them to be able to read my spiritual journal... now let's see if I can still read them.^_^'

"Runes of Power"

As golden sun retires his post
The clouds burst into flames.
The winds rejoice from coast to coast
And comb their silv'ry manes.

The moon steps up and sweeps a bow
Upon Her starlit stage,
And summons sailors to their prow
Across the seas of age.

The animals greet gentle night
With music light and fair-
They dance and sing 'till morning's light
Has taken to the air.

Then morning breaks and turns the dark;
The stars softly depart.
And heralding the dawn, the lark
Flies swiftly as a dart.

The owls sleep; the stags awake
And hail the sun's new fire!
Birds chant along the wooded lake
And praise their golden sire.

They celebrate in stormy feast
Until the sun must leave.
Then back to sleep goes bird and beast
And magic dreams they weave.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:46 am
eek Damn that's good.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:35 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Damn that's good.

Oh, good- I wasn't quite sure if it was good or overdone, LOL! You can never quite tell if your own poetry is good, because you tend to get caught up in whatever emotion inspired you to write it, and it always either influences the way it sounds to you, or you keep comparing it to what you originally felt and it never quite measures up. It's like trying to share song lyrics with someone who's never heard the song- oftentimes they sound very different without the music, and once you've heard the song (especially if you liked it) it's very difficult to read the words without playing the music along with them in your mind. So I wasn't sure if my poem would measure up to the precedent you set with your own, but I guess I made it! Cool.^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:51 pm
I don't know, I think I can tend to judge my works allright. For example, most of my poetry plain sucks. This one is a hell of a lot better than my other poems, but it's still not that good. I have a lot more pride over my prose (check my journal if you want to see), but still nitpick over a lot of it.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:47 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
(check my journal if you want to see)

I think I will do that- I've been looking for some interesting journals to read. I wish there was a way to sort the journals by content, and rate of update.^_^' I know there's a page somewhere other there which sorts journals by date of update, because I saw it once- but I can't figure out how to get back there!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:54 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:15 am
Interesting. It has some good emotional resonance, but the rhyming scheme is a little off.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:29 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Interesting. It has some good emotional resonance, but the rhyming scheme is a little off.

yep thats why i said it still needs work. sometimes parts of it just rush to me and the rest barely grazes my brain. I'll tweek it soon though usally late night, thats when I think best.  

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 pm
Christo Minaverus
Tears of joy, fear, and love. They all fall down the same way.

The part about tears of joy and fear falling the same way really struck a chord with me. I remember a time when I was crying- sobbing, really- and I was crying so hard and the situation was so screwed up that eventually it struck me as extremely funny that something could even be that messed up, and I just started laughing hysterically- and then I was afraid that I might be losing my mind, because honestly I kind of sounded that way^_^', and then I got scared and started sobbing again. And then I realized that the hacking sobs and the laughter both sounded pretty much exactly the same... and then I started laughing again.^_^' It was a pretty messed up night.

Christo Minaverus
Relics of an ancient world, now behind the looking glass.
See it there and wonder then of the people who used it last.
Wonder how you will be seen as the people of the distant pass.

I also wonder, sometimes, what future races will make of us. Sometimes I almost hope that, as time goes on, my remains will be preserved in such a way that they will be recovered by future paleontologists and placed in a museum along with other relics of our world. Then, I can roam the museum as a spirit and see what their "people" make of us- and maybe point a scientist or two in the right direction, if they're sensitive to such things. I think that would be an interesting and potentially rewarding way to spend the afterlife- in between all the usual feasting and farming, that is.^_~ I always have loved museums.^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:16 pm
I really suck at poetry, but i love writing and so just for the heck of it, all post this one:

One More Time

The birth of a new day, the beginning of a new night.
One more time the wild river flows,
the earth's voice whispers to the wind.
The reality of a dream,
destiny's heart decides.
One more moment of light,
One more time the owl cries.
The Moon climbs to the mountain peak,
watching over the world's slumber,
awating the Sun,
one more time.

like i said, it sux and i kno it doesnt make sense, but i dont care. lol! razz  

Iyasis

Siofra Da`Halbria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:22 am
I have never written any religious poetry...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:24 pm
Perhaps you should try, then- it's a very unique and fun way to channel spiritual feelings, and I've found that writing about situations or experiences really helps me to understand them better. There was one time when I had the experience of following Wpwawt in a ritual procession, and for an entire year I couldn't quite convey how it felt. Then I wrote something- semi poetic, semi prose- and it was such a wonderful experience to finally be able to express that feeling, and to re-live it as I wrote it.

If you do try your hand at some poetry, I hope that you will share it with the rest of us.^_^  

WebenBanu

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:28 pm
WebenBanu
Perhaps you should try, then- it's a very unique and fun way to channel spiritual feelings, and I've found that writing about situations or experiences really helps me to understand them better. There was one time when I had the experience of following Wpwawt in a ritual procession, and for an entire year I couldn't quite convey how it felt. Then I wrote something- semi poetic, semi prose- and it was such a wonderful experience to finally be able to express that feeling, and to re-live it as I wrote it.

If you do try your hand at some poetry, I hope that you will share it with the rest of us.^_^
I'm thinking of not doing poetry next tie, but rather switching to my speciality. A sort of philosophical prose which decribes and emotion, a feeling or something intangible like that.  
_The Agora_ ! Art ! Focused Discussion ! Debate ! *Under Construction*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff