Yes, please
View Results

nightdove

3,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:07 pm
Okay, so now I'm pissed! So, recently my parents found out that I'm pagan, and they're fine with it-except for the random Bible references my dad makes. But my uncle-who I like to think of as my big brother and best friend-decided to get the mail for us, and lately I've been getting letters from colleges, and he handed me one for a Christian school-they've literally sent me one twice a month for a year (even though the place they got my address says that I'm pagan [I don't need to be saved]).....I'm rambling, so back to the story.......so he handed me it, and I said, "oh, throw it away, it's a Christian college." and he didn't understand why that mattered, so I said "Because I'm not Christian" and, anyways, my family's Catholic, not Christian. Then he asked me what I was and I told him I'm Pagan. He got all mad and said that it was Satin worship, and when I told him that I didn't think he was one of those people, he said "well I am, and I think that religion should be flushed down the toilet".... and because I have to explain paganism to people on a daily basis, and because I have the book "When Someone You Love is Wiccan"-which is a really good book-I tried to give it to him, and he got pissed at me and stormed out.... He was the first person I was planning on telling, before my parents found out, but now, I'm really glad that I didn't......why do people have to be sooo close minded?!!! It's really hurtful!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:06 am
Been there, done that. I tried telling my mother, but she's conveniently forgotten. She's recently gone on a religious crusade, which occurred right after I told her. There's no point in telling my siblings, whom I just met, by the way, because they're such Bible thumpers. They are a bit paranoid where everything they see is a conspiracy, so I approach them with extreme caution.  

Boadicia

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:33 am
My mom found out because I once accidentally left this guilds homepage open when I left for school (a year ago) sweatdrop . She took it pretty hard, and it hurt me a lot. For a while she kept making rude remarks that I was just a rebeling teenager. And whenever she forced me to church, I'd meditate (which I have a habit of doing with my eyes closed) so she mistakened it for napping and would constantly lechture me on my "snobbish boycotting". She makes sure to make plenty of Jesus references around me nowadays, but she seems to have calmed down about it considerably since my pepere (grandpa) passed away last November. She even found a healer/medium who is giving free small classes that she wants me to join her for. I think it's mainly because she's fascinated with wanting to get in touch with her dad, but hey. I'm not complaining with her change in attitude.

What she needed was time, and an opportunity to allow herself to view things in another perpective. I'm hoping your uncle will be able do just that (and hopefully without the loss of a family member). 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
First off, I know this wasn't the point of the story, but you shouldn't discount colleges because they have a "Christian" influence. A lot of schools I looked into were "Christian" and that didn't really mean anything about the people who went there or the programs they offered. People go to schools because they offer the best education for a price they can afford. If this college is interested in you, and it is offering what you want to take, you should look into it and see how deeply intergrated the Christian roots are. A lot of that is negligatible.

Secondly, I am sorry your Uncle took the news so hard. I'd like to say it get easier, but it doesn't. I have to remind my parents all the time that I"m not Christian. They are still (after 8 years) waiting for me to grow out of that phase.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:34 pm
Some people react well, some people don't. I haven't had to deal with a sittuation like this, but I don't doubt I will some time in the future. When dealing with someone of a traditionally exclusivist religion, what you need to figure out is if they are really hard-line exlusivist, inclusivist, or pluralist. The exclusivists generally are not worth the trouble unless they're someone who you really care about and want to compromise with. Inclusivists can be easier to get along with but they will still tend to look at your religious beliefs as less-than. Pluralists are lovely and won't usually give you grief over your beliefs and might even show some genuine interest or curiosity.

Bottom line is you can't force people to learn something they don't want to. Just set a good example and don't give them reason to reproach you. If you're a good person (ie, don't smoke, drink, get good grades, have a job you work hard at) everyone but the most intolerant bigots will accept you in the long run. Granted I'm an optimist on these sorts of htings, but still. whee  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:08 pm
I know this shouldn't be my first reaction, but since when did Catholocism stop being a part of Christianity? I guess my grandmother's in for a really rude awakening...

Your uncle's reaction is really not cool, and I can see how it's upsetting, but can you at least see how your actions would have been upsetting to him? He must take his faith seriously on some level to want to encourage you to go to a Christian school, and you told him to throw the letter away, essentially telling him that his faith was worthless without meaning to. I can see him being upset, and I think you're being a bit closed minded when it comes to schools; I attend a Catholic univeristy, and it's very proud of it's history and heritage. It has its moments where it's a bit bible thumping, but it's usually not bad, and it's a good school. Don't let a trivial fact like the school being Christain turn you off; look at the quality of education they're going to offer you and base it on that.

My advice with your uncle is to leave him be right now. Don't try to talk to him about it, and don't try to give him any more literature. You gave him a really bad shock to the system, and he needs time to digest the info. My parents were the same way when I came out of the broom closet. My Dad came around, and eventually started to ask questions and is pretty accepting about it now. My mother pretends it's still a phase adn we don't talk about it. Your uncle may come around, and he may not. Let him make the first move.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

nightdove

3,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:30 pm
But he's not even Christain, he's Catholic, and not that religious at all!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:35 pm
nightdove

Hun, Catholics are Christians. They were the only branch of Christianity until the Protestant Reformation. Being Christian is denoted by a belief that Jesus Christ was the son of God and the promised Messiah. Catholics believe that, just like all the others.

And just because he's not overtly religious doesn't mean that he takes his faith seriously. I know a lot of people like that. Think of how upset you were when he suggest your religion should be flushed down the toilet; you weren't exactly sensitive when you told him to throw the letter in the grabage because it was from a Christian school and you'renot Christian any more; you were as quick to dismiss a set of beliefs, for whatever reasons.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:01 am
I guess that when a lot of people think "Christian" nowadays, Protestantism pops into their head. It's like Catholicism has taken on a life of its own outside of Christianity, which is rather a ridiculous idea considering that Protestants stemmed from Catholicism. It's like saying Zen isn't Buddhism.

As for problems coming out of the broom closet, I've heard countless stories of parents and family who don't take it very well. Someone on the deo's Shadow forums was talking about how is parent was attacking him on his MySpace, or something along those lines. It's very sad that a parent would take their child's choice and allow it to override their parental duty to love their child. I have been blessed with a very understanding mother who, while undoubtedly Protestant, has a very open mind and a wonderful, innate psychic talent. She doesn't mind that I'm not Christian, though I still attend church when I'm at home for social purposes.

I'm sorry that your confidant Uncle has turned sour on you. However, if they're one of those strict "by the Bible" types, there are plenty of verses to back up their hatred of anything magical. There are also some fun ones to call them out on, too. Someone was telling me about a Biblical law regarding only wearing natural fibers, though I don't know where it is. Someday, I think it would be fun to find the verses that many of them break, just to be able counter. Until then, I go by "He's YOUR God, they're YOUR rules."  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:36 pm
The Bookwyrm
nightdove

Hun, Catholics are Christians. They were the only branch of Christianity until the Protestant Reformation. Being Christian is denoted by a belief that Jesus Christ was the son of God and the promised Messiah. Catholics believe that, just like all the others.

I'm glad someone else stated that. 3nodding  

Lady Detarra

Pandora Heart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:51 pm
Some people I know take the fact that I am pagan well, and others don't. I have problems with the people that don't approve. I don't get vocal, I just stay silent, but it bothers me to the point............. Well I don't always handle it well. I mean........ I don't come out and say I disapprove of their religion.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:14 pm
The Bookwyrm
nightdove

Nono, Catholics are idolaters and Mary worshippers, remember? wink

Ironically, I'm writting a little response/paper now on the different view of Mary in Catholocism and Protestantism...  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:28 pm
Nihilistic Seraph

Ironically, I'm writting a little response/paper now on the different view of Mary in Catholocism and Protestantism...

LOL Now that's one I haven't heard! But, in all honesty, it's likely because I grew up Catholic, in a community that didn't care about religion so long as you weren't unusual, and attend a Catholic university; I've never had the exposure to other forms of Christianity to know what the differences are. I just accepted that they were different. confused

But I have to agree with the Mary worshipping, and the idolatry fits, too; my grandmother has a list of saints, etc. that she prays to for whatever purpose... I've always found the worship of Christ be idolatry, actually; you're pick and choosing what part of God you want to worship and giving it a form. The whole idea of the Holy Trinity does that, come to think of it, with three distinct entities acting independently of each other while still maintaining that there is only one God. Kind of a weird flip in the idea of the Triple Goddess.

And now I'm rambling completely away from the point...

The opinion paper sounds like it would be fascinating, though. Again, I never stopped long enough to think there might be differences in the perception of Mary.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:07 pm
The Bookwyrm
Nihilistic Seraph

LOL Now that's one I haven't heard! But, in all honesty, it's likely because I grew up Catholic, in a community that didn't care about religion so long as you weren't unusual, and attend a Catholic university; I've never had the exposure to other forms of Christianity to know what the differences are. I just accepted that they were different. confused

But I have to agree with the Mary worshipping, and the idolatry fits, too; my grandmother has a list of saints, etc. that she prays to for whatever purpose... I've always found the worship of Christ be idolatry, actually; you're pick and choosing what part of God you want to worship and giving it a form. The whole idea of the Holy Trinity does that, come to think of it, with three distinct entities acting independently of each other while still maintaining that there is only one God. Kind of a weird flip in the idea of the Triple Goddess.

And now I'm rambling completely away from the point...

The opinion paper sounds like it would be fascinating, though. Again, I never stopped long enough to think there might be differences in the perception of Mary.
The thing with the Holy Trinity was invented, kinda... The Holy Ghost (or the Holy Spirit) is essentially the spirit of the Lord coming down to earth for blessings, thusly allowing you to perform miracles and wonders for the sake of ministry and the ability to speak in tongues (this comes from 12 years in a Pentacoastal Evangelist training program, so other Christian sects might think it differently)... but Holy Duet doesn't sound as cool, I guess.. Even in the Bible, it says that Jesus is the SON of God, but he is NOT God in the following verse...

Sooooooo....

It's nice to know that surviving (and big numbered) polytheism hasn't been restricted to Hinduism. wink  

Jezehbelle

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:16 pm
Jezehbelle
The thing with the Holy Trinity was invented, kinda... The Holy Ghost (or the Holy Spirit) is essentially the spirit of the Lord coming down to earth for blessings, thusly allowing you to perform miracles and wonders for the sake of ministry and the ability to speak in tongues (this comes from 12 years in a Pentacoastal Evangelist training program, so other Christian sects might think it differently)... but Holy Duet doesn't sound as cool, I guess.. Even in the Bible, it says that Jesus is the SON of God, but he is NOT God in the following verse...

Sooooooo....

It's nice to know that surviving (and big numbered) polytheism hasn't been restricted to Hinduism. wink

The Catholic church I grew up in had a pretty similar stance on the Holy Spirit, but the whole thing did always leave me with a funny feeling, same with the whole indistinct division between God and Jesus; Christ was the son of God, but not God himself (most of the time), but yet we worshipped Jesus more so that God. Only we someone how worshipped God through Jesus...? The whole thing was a mess, and I don't even want to get into Mary, the saits and all the rest of teh Heavenly Host we were encouraged to pray to. No wonder I converted to Paganism: My polytheism is pretty black and white now and makse so much more sense! xd  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff