Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Satin . . .

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:07 pm
is it ok to iron baroque satin? I'm working on a prom dress type deal right now and I need to iron it and I'm not sure if it will kill hte fabric or not XD

~Hunter~  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:16 pm
What's the fiber content -- acetate, polyester, silk...?

Generally I'd say you should be OK with an iron on a low-heat setting -- you might want to stick to dry heat if your iron is prone to spitting on steam settings as satins often show water spots pretty badly.

Smillaaraq

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:40 pm
It'd probably be fine on the lowest setting. My iron says the lowest two settings are good for synthetics and nylon/silk. Sounds about right to me.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 am
sounds good. Thanks guys~  

sakurachan61123

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:58 am
Test a swatch first- and don't be too alarmed if it suddenly changes color. A lot of fabrics are heat sensitive. If red suddenly turns pastel orange or something like that, just stop and let it cool for a few bit. It'll probably switch back eventually. If the fabric truns out to be very sensitive, you can always use a pressing cloth.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:30 am
Press cloths are usually a good idea for expensive and/or delicate fabrics anyway. They protect the fabric from the iron.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:43 pm
wtf is a pressing cloth?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:05 am
A press cloth is just a piece of thin cotton fabric that you put over delicate fabrics before you iron them -- it's a little extra protection against scorching, flattening out textured finishes, that sort of thing.

You can buy them ready-made but really, if you have some very thin scrap muslin or similar fabric in your stash, you don't need to buy anything special. smile

Smillaaraq

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff