Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Could someone give me advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How's your day going for you?
  It's going great!
  It could be better, and it could be worse.
  I don't want to talk about it.
View Results

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:38 pm
I am a writing tutor at a university, and I wanted to ask several questions. Please be kind with your answers, and fill me with your wisdom. ^.^

1.) About 50 percent of the time, I tutor students whose first language is not English, and it gets tough to sit there and correct a paper full of comma splices and other grammatical errors. What I have done is to correct a few pages, and then quickly teach them how to use good grammar. Is this okay, or is there a better method that any of you have found?

2.) Do you put "okay" or "ok"? I have some students putting "ok" and to me, it just doesn't sound right, but I want to know what's actually correct.

3.) Are words that are in another language italicized or put in quotation marks?

4.) How strict is too strict when it comes to correcting other people's grammar?

Thank you for reading. Now tell me what you think, please.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:31 pm
1) Sounds okay to me.
2) I usually use "okay." I think there's a whole thread about it somewhere around here.
3) I've always used quotes.
4) For the native speakers, you can never be too strict. For the non-native speakers, be a little lenient.  

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

poggles

Sparkly Fairy

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:55 pm
How you do it sounds okay to me. I guess you could try running a basic grammar class for ESL students if you were getting really annoyed with the common mistakes. But that would be extra work, so maybe that's not the best idea...

I think both okay and ok are correct. I use both depending on what situation I'm in.

When I read things with words in another language, they're usually italicised, but I guess quotation marks work too. The point is to show that they're not everyday English words, and either option does that.

Too strict is when you're criticising everything they write. A few general pointers is probably enough. (In my opinion anyway.)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:21 pm
1.) Sounds fine to me...
2.) I have a good feeling that they will understand okay better...
3.) I usually see it in both ways, so try doing it either way, I don't think it matters at all.
4.) I quote Intuicide, but don't be like this: "When will you learn? You have to do this and this and this. Not that! You're horrible, you're dense. You will never learn! EVER!" (I fel bad saying that...)  

Archdemonessa

Amphion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:35 pm
1)Sounds fine to me.
2)"ok" has gained predominance over "okay" recently, but just so long as you're consistent, it should be fine.
3)Italics is the preferred method.
4)It really depends on the person. If they're a non-native speaker with low self-esteem, be pretty lenient. If they've grown up speaking English, and are an arrogant a**, be as strict as you want.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:52 pm
Thanks for your help. Anyone else care to share?  

Patron with a Mission

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:13 am
dameonmac5918
I am a writing tutor at a university, and I wanted to ask several questions. Please be kind with your answers, and fill me with your wisdom. ^.^

1.) About 50 percent of the time, I tutor students whose first language is not English, and it gets tough to sit there and correct a paper full of comma splices and other grammatical errors. What I have done is to correct a few pages, and then quickly teach them how to use good grammar. Is this okay, or is there a better method that any of you have found?

2.) Do you put "okay" or "ok"? I have some students putting "ok" and to me, it just doesn't sound right, but I want to know what's actually correct.

3.) Are words that are in another language italicized or put in quotation marks?

4.) How strict is too strict when it comes to correcting other people's grammar?

Thank you for reading. Now tell me what you think, please.

1. I think that method is fine. They'll learn as they go.

2. I use OK because it started out as a creatively misspelled acronym for All Correct and then was merged with the acronym for Van Buren's nickname, Old Kinderhook.

3. I think they're usually italicized. I honestly don't bother with either.

4. Too strict is when you're picking on every little typo. Go with the big stuff such as capitalization and misuse of punctuation. Also, be sure to help them dismantle the Great Wall of Text I see so often in posts.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games