Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Long v. Short projects Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fionamule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:28 pm
What do you like better: instant gratification or something that takes you a year to finish?
Also is it the product or the process that gets you going?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:47 pm
I'm a product knitter, I dont mind taking my time to make something, but sometimes i need a break, so i often do a quickie project while im in the middle of a larger one. It helps break up the monotony sometimes 3nodding  

gemini6184

Beboots

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:32 pm
I don't like spending more than a month on a project. My favorites are socks for this reason; if I'm bored, I can whip up a quick pair of socks over the course of a week. I like seeing lots of stuff hanging from the needles, though; the weight of it makes me proud (like when you get to the end of a scarf). mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:02 pm
I tend to like a balance. I'll get a good chunck of a longer project done and then do a quick one, like a bag or something, before cleaning up. Some days i just do a quick project, some days i spend all day working on the longer one. I've yet to start something that'll take me a year, but i have lost track of scarves and things and found them again a year later...  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:11 pm
I don't mind long projects. I just dislike monotonous projects. Like an 8ft muffler knit in stockinette in the round..... gonk crying (which I have done BTW) I've just gotten into socks, but I'm already looking up patterns that aren't just.... boring. sweatdrop

Right now, I'm knitting up a pair of socks using my own pattern based on the the first year Harry Potter Scarf. I'm using... *cough*embroideryfloss*cough* instead of yarn.... but only because I have an overabundance of it. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:03 pm
~
I have a handful of projects going at any given time. Some long term some short term. I'll work on something for a while, set it aside and work on another. It helps me maintain interest in both a given project and an entire craft medium at the same time. Also sometimes I have small projects that contribute to much larger ones that are on a large time scale.

At home I have 2 scarves on the go, 3 quilts and various artworks, at the same time experimenting and prototyping ideas. At work I am binding books over my break periods out of things that I find around. While I am hanging around at my friends' houses I have a few magazines that I take along and tear pages out to tuck away for scrap booking later on.

~

Tes

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:51 am
I'm an instant gratification girl myself. I like to be able to see my progress so I usually make small items when I crochet.
There are times when I crochet just to have something to keep my hands busy, but mostly I pick a project and can't wait to get it done.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:01 am
I'm sort of an instant gratification person. That's mostly because I don't have the attention span for anything longer though. I do a lot of small projects like hats and socks that I can get done in a few days.
And I'm definitely a process girl, I want something that'll be interesting to make, not just to look at. I can't stand simple projects-they don't challenge me and they don't keep my attention for very long so they're hard to complete.
I'm always looking for more difficult projects too, something to challenge myself and to keep me from getting bored. I think that's why I've only been knitting for a year and a half and I already design my own lace and intarsia patterns, as well as designing almost everything I make overall.  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:37 am
It depends on what I'm making and why. I'm known to make many random scarves out of no particular material, in basic stitches, just to keep my hands busy and my brain not dead.

Other than that, when I have free time I pick a project based on how interesting it is int he end as well as how fun it is to make.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:36 pm
As one who usually has 3-6 projects going at once, I like both. I get bored easily, so I switch back and forth between two or three larger projects (at the moment, a sweater, a skirt, and a poncho) and a few smaller ones (a DS cozy)  

knitting_needle_ninja

Silvander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm
I like to see progress, but not necessarily completion. Instant gratification is a nice break in a big project though. Which seems to be the general consensus lol  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:53 pm
Hmm...right now I am into instant gratification, but I am starting to edge towards projects that take a bit of time. After I finish the baby sweater I am making right now, I am going to start on a blanket.  

noocleer_biskit

fashionista468

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:58 pm
short projects  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:10 pm
For me, I don't think there's a difference between a long and short project. Most of my projects, no matter how short I think they'll be, end up getting stretched out because I forget to work on them or have other things to do instead. sweatdrop  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

fireclaws

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:32 pm
I always seem to have a long project going on, with a couple smaller ones to pick up randomly. Something to suit every mood!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff