Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 am
I know there is already an archery thread on the first page, but this is slightly different... I swear!

A group in my barony (Jararvellir in Northshield) is getting people together to get some combat archery going in the kingdom! Now that the rules have changed to allow people to authorize in combat archery without sword and board first, it's really going! ... don't worry, we still have to learn to be safe, wear armor, and learn what hits are light or otherwise.

I'm soooo excited, I had to share, and get comments. Has anybody here participated in this before?

So far we've made 100 combat arrows (safe and legal!), and we're currently bartering for armor parts so that we can practice at fighters practices. (the fighters are excited around here too, because then they get to practice looking out for archers and how to take them out.)

Did I mention that I was excited?

-- I'll post pictures of the arrows soon... probably tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:54 pm
I WANT TO LEARN TO DO COMBAT ARCHERY!!

Only about .. three problems that immediatly come to mind! sweatdrop
1 - I have no armor(or combat arrows, etc.)
2 - there's no where, and no one here to practice on/with
3 - ....I don't know much about SCA combat sweatdrop Only seen non-rapier once actually. And that wasn't a war, it was at spring coronet! sweatdrop So I wouldn't know where to begin sweatdrop

But it definatly sounds like fun!! biggrin 3nodding  

Naito_Mitsukai

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:12 pm
Yeah, those were the problems I had at first too, but then some people started organizing together. We're working in trade with some armorers, and found a place in Florida that sells specialty arrow materials for relatively cheap. Yay! I'll post the link to their site when I can find it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:22 pm
Oohh!! biggrin That would be MUCH appreciated!! biggrin 3nodding heart  

Naito_Mitsukai

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:44 am
I'm pretty sure this is it! We made our own blunts and put it all together ourselves, but here's where we got the shafts and ends.

http://www.northstararchery.com/sca.html

whatever you do, don't get any materials in siloflex!!!! From all acounts, it's horrible, doesn't fly straight, pain in the a**, etc.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:58 pm
Thank-you!! biggrin heart I shall have to show this to other members of my shire! biggrin heart  

Naito_Mitsukai

Diodamia

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:52 am
I would love to get into all this.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 pm
I have to say, the archers have always made a melee far more interesting, especially when your glaive man falls 30 feet from the opposing group. I dunno if it's just in Ansteorra or not, but our combat archers are full-contact, so we get to club them like baby seals. That's satisfaction.

Honestly, though, I like the idea of the archers. A crossbow bolt to the face in the march is half the fun, but I'll stick to an axe or sword and a shield. I simply like to hit things... and besides, I'm a terrible archer.  

Your Night Surgeon

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:56 am
Sirenstoy
I have to say, the archers have always made a melee far more interesting, especially when your glaive man falls 30 feet from the opposing group. I dunno if it's just in Ansteorra or not, but our combat archers are full-contact, so we get to club them like baby seals. That's satisfaction.

Honestly, though, I like the idea of the archers. A crossbow bolt to the face in the march is half the fun, but I'll stick to an axe or sword and a shield. I simply like to hit things... and besides, I'm a terrible archer.

Yeah, I know we're full contact here in Northshield too... which is why I have to worry about getting myself some armor. A lot of fighters (at least in our kingdom) seem to still be a little wary of having combat archers, though, because they've seen them just shoot and run so many times at war. That's why our group is learning defense and strategy. woohoo! Now I just have to be able to make it to practice once in a while....  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:17 pm
I have done Combat Archry in two wars so far.
I have been doing it because I dont have good enough armor to fight full armored yet... so I have settled with the crossbow.
We actually have alot of archers in An Tir, or at least in Avacal.  

Artimus_Twitch

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff