Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
When does cynical becaome "too" cynical? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:32 pm
I'm a pretty Jaded person, I always have been it seems, just an inbuilt cynic from the start I guess.

But lately, i've been contemplating, is it possible to be too cynical?

Staring at an insurance advert in child's handwriting about how a 7 year-old's family will be aright because "daddy's got a plan" .... made me feel ill that advertisers would stoop so low, and to such a contrived tactic. But, really, they're just trying to sell a product. Is it wrong to think them as pond scum?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:35 pm
Oh, like the one car add where they had these kids talking about the safty features of a car and who their parent's bought it because they care about the kids safty.
I laughed at that. It was such a ridiculuously obvious marking ploy XD

*Sorry this is just about a commercial and not much to do with conversation >_>*  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm
IY_and_MCR
Oh, like the one car add where they had these kids talking about the safty features of a car and who their parent's bought it because they care about the kids safty.
I laughed at that. It was such a ridiculuously obvious marking ploy XD

*Sorry this is just about a commercial and not much to do with conversation >_>*

Lol, s'ok, Yeah, I find those kinds of ads insulting to my intelligence more than anything. Damned marketers that can't come up with a decent idea if it came at them as a fish being slapped round their head stare  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:37 pm
Isobel Bellamy
I'm a pretty Jaded person, I always have been it seems, just an inbuilt cynic from the start I guess.

But lately, i've been contemplating, is it possible to be too cynical?

Staring at an insurance advert in child's handwriting about how a 7 year-old's family will be aright because "daddy's got a plan" .... made me feel ill that advertisers would stoop so low, and to such a contrived tactic. But, really, they're just trying to sell a product. Is it wrong to think them as pond scum?

No I've worked in advertising and sales, they really are pond scum. Trust me.

There is no such thing as too cynical in this day and age to be honest.  

Rellik San
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:42 pm
I would have to disagree about there being "no being too cynicial".

A healthy dose of cynacisim is okay, but being so cynical that you begin to spoil the fun of a small child when they are playing is just out and out wrong.

Perhaps I think that adults are fair game to being critisized for their obvious ploys and low tricks, but children should be exempt from the scorn and contempt often associated with cynics.

Using children as a tool to sell something is a deplorable thing though...*sigh* but it's not the child's fault. They are simply doing as they are instructed by an adult.

People who made the ad=Pond Scum
Children in the ad=/= Pond Scum

=/= means not equal to  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:26 pm
I think you're too cynical when you can't see the fun side in something innocent and fun or when you can't trust anything.

My best mate is way cynical and I tell him so all the time. Always pulling the s**t part of something to the front instead of ignoring it like everyone else and just enjoying it.
Not talking about anything specific, just generalising.

I used to be really cynical. Now I'm like Vince Noir- everything is awesome and good moods are frequent, shared and enjoyed to the fullest! Sometimes to the disbelief of my friends. They can't comprehend my good moods ("... I'll be off my tits on happiness"- Vince Noir).

"You see a peanut, the day's off to a good start, you witness some soil - it's a jamboree for Vince Noir."
- Howard Moon.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:42 am
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

As always, Lurichan expressed that which I could not articulate, I don't know how she keeps doing it -_- well in any case as almost always she's right.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:03 am
Rellik San

I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but... anyone that can make an advert that's so insulting must have some kind of pond life in their family tree....

Is it me or is it getting worse? Just about everyday I find more things to get snarkier about. Or maybe it's just old age....  

Isobel Bellamy

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:05 am
lurichan
I would have to disagree about there being "no being too cynicial".

A healthy dose of cynacisim is okay, but being so cynical that you begin to spoil the fun of a small child when they are playing is just out and out wrong.

Perhaps I think that adults are fair game to being critisized for their obvious ploys and low tricks, but children should be exempt from the scorn and contempt often associated with cynics.

Using children as a tool to sell something is a deplorable thing though...*sigh* but it's not the child's fault. They are simply doing as they are instructed by an adult.

People who made the ad=Pond Scum
Children in the ad=/= Pond Scum

=/= means not equal to

Oh, no, children are exempt from cynicism..... unless they're unholy little things like I was. Then I have pity on their parents  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:11 am
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but... anyone that can make an advert that's so insulting must have some kind of pond life in their family tree....

Is it me or is it getting worse? Just about everyday I find more things to get snarkier about. Or maybe it's just old age....

I know what you mean. Heres an accurate depiction of someone in sales and marketing when going to bed.
"What did you do today honey?"
"We made arsenic a treasured childhood food, the parents will love it, the slogan being 'are your kids too loud?'"
And they sleep like babies in big houses or trendy inner city apartments. I hated the job and all I was doing was designing logo's.

And you are right, to a degree, there is more to be bitter about, but age also makes bitter about things that were always there, like when 13 year olds talk about the 90's as if they actually have any real memory of it themselves, that gets me really snappy. Also, Kurt Cobain (not nirvana but Kurt) fans that weren't even alive when he died moping about it. Thats before I get on to the post offices closing, the war, the price of bread and milk, the weather, the way people drive, movies of today, what they get away with saying on TV, politics, economics, and the youth of today having no respect... and I'm only 20.  

Rellik San
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:14 am
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

I know what you mean. Heres an accurate depiction of someone in sales and marketing when going to bed.
"We made arsenic a treasured childhood food, the parents will love it, the slogan being 'are your kids too loud?'"
And they sleep like babies in big houses or trendy inner city apartments. I hated the job and all I was doing was designing logo's.

And you are right, to a degree, there is more to be bitter about, but age also makes bitter about things that were always there, like when 13 year olds talk about the 90's as if they actually have any real memory of it themselves, that gets me really snappy. Also, Kurt Cobain (not nirvana but Kurt) fans that weren't even alive when he died moping about it. Thats before I get on to the post offices closing, the war, the price of bread and milk, the weather, the way people drive, movies of today, what they get away with saying on TV, politics, economics, and the youth of today having no respect... and I'm only 20.

Don't forget about how the movie rating system is failing us. We went and saw "Epic Movie" last night, and there was a lot more swearing in there than a PG-13 movie should warrent. ~_~  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:17 am
lurichan
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

Don't forget about how the movie rating system is failing us. We went and saw "Epic Movie" last night, and there was a lot more swearing in there than a PG-13 movie should warrent. ~_~
Its rated 15 in the UK, so not an issue here. ^_^

However people taking kids to see an 18 rated film then complaining its too violent.  

Rellik San
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:17 am
Rellik San

I ssomehow wish to hear your opinion on drugs and arms dealers now, possibly polititians as well, it's great to hear a fellow snarky being rofl

Well, at 18 I was already one of those crotchey middle aged women that say "men only want you for one thing you know, so you might as well get a bit of fun out of it as well if he's just ging to use you".... in more of a cynical way rather than scorned woman way.

I don't think a child who at 4 told her parents she idn't want to be baptised because she was "ready to be good yet" was ever going to grow up in a normal way.... >.> <.< .....*ahem*  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:19 am
Rellik San
lurichan

However people taking kids to see an 18 rated film then complaining its too violent.

I more object to that film being a waste of money an tme rather than the swearing. I like parodies, but if you feel your audience needs it to be so damned obvious you#re ether an idiot yourself or obviously think very little of your fellow man......or a possible third option of you being a very bad writer...  

Isobel Bellamy

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:26 am
Rellik San

Ugh...parents are too selfish in my personal opinion really. To drag small children with you to obvious movies not intended for them because You want to see it...it's just plain bad parenting. And then to wonder why you're child is swearing up a storm....or being violent in school because they can't differentiate between make-believe and reality.....~_~ Grrr, just gggrrrrrrr.

There are way too many things in rated R movies that children should never be exposed to. The rating system was put into place for a reason after all. It's irresponsible adults that not only allow, but sometimes encourage children to watch things that are not meant for them that make me sick to the pit of my stomach. Of course most parents aren't attentive enough to actually watch something before letting their children watch it either....and then you have the issue of children being exposed to sexual content as well. ~_~

I think I'm against irresponsible parenting really. Those people who have children because they feel lonely like they need to fill a void in their lives, but then don't want to take the time and effort necessary into actually rasing a child. Those are the scum of the earth because they end up hurting children by their own indifference and neglect.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff