Eloquent Elocutionist

3,750 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:19 pm
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...?clik=www_wh_1

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...e/explore.html

Has the tomb of Jesus Christ been found?

Since the 1970s, hundreds of tombs and thousands of ossuaries (limestone bone boxes) have been discovered in the Jerusalem area. These ossuaries served as coffins in first-century Jerusalem.

One of these tombs was found to contain ten ossuaries. Six of the ossuaries in this tomb have inscriptions on them. As it turns out, every inscription in this particular tomb relates to the Gospels.

In the feature documentary The Lost Tomb of Jesus a case is made that the 2,000-year-old "Tomb of the Ten Ossuaries" belonged to the family of Jesus of Nazareth.

All leading epigraphers agree about the inscriptions. All archaeologists confirm the nature of the find. It comes down to a matter of statistics. A statistical study commissioned by the broadcasters (Discovery Channel/Vision Canada/C4 UK) concludes that the probability factor is 600 to 1 in favor of this tomb being the tomb of Jesus of Nazareth and his family.

The film also documents DNA extraction from human residue found in two of the ossuaries and reveals new evidence that throws light on Jesus' relationship with Mary Magdalene.

The documentary includes dramatic recreations, based on the latest historical evidence, illustrating accurate images of Jesus of Nazareth, his family, his followers, his ministry, his crucifixion and his entombment.

Part archaeological adventure, part Biblical history, part forensic science, part theological controversy: this is a story that will be carried around the world.

The executive producer of The Lost Tomb of Jesus is Academy award winning filmmaker, James Cameron. The producers are award winning filmmakers Felix Golubev and Ric Esther Bienstock. The director is Emmy award winning documentarian, Simcha Jacobovici.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:22 am
.Hussein Fatal.

The film also documents DNA extraction from human residue found in two of the ossuaries and reveals new evidence that throws light on Jesus' relationship with Mary Magdalene.

Now the problem I have with the whole "we have DNA" is that if they don't have the original source (a.k.a. Jesus' blood) then there is no way to positively compare another sample to it. I mean sure they found some "residue" they claim to be from him but DNA has a shelf life. If you don't keep something like that in an air tight, temperature controlled, sterile environment you're going to have issues getting a result. Hell DNA taken from the 80s is pretty much useless if its not properly stored so how is it that DNA from however many thousands of years ago it was suppose to happen will still be usable. Wow I went forensic geek there. Sorry everyone but I've got issues with things like that. If you hadn't noticed.  

Lady Detarra

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:45 am
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

Now every religion will focus itself on this news, and build upon making themselves stronger, and we all know the stronger something is the more likely it will be corrupt,but still if Britney Spears shaving her head was in the news for a year this will be broadcast all over for two weeks.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:51 am
Gimme a break.  

dreamingscribe

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:05 am
Buttercup Jones
Gimme a break.

While the DNA statement is far fetched, they DID find this tomb. And the odds that all of these names (Jesus, two Mary's, Joseph, and six Apostle names) would be together is, as said, 600 to 1. Not only that, but in the tomb of the figure called Jesus (whether or not he's the religious figure, you decide), there is strong evidence that this Jesus WAS crucified (while there are no body remains, there are imprints of his feet in the tomb; these feet imprints feature holes in the places they would be for a crucification featuring a footstand, as Jesus' did). This further cuts the odds.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:42 am
if you want my personal opinion, the chances of this being jesus are just as good as the chances of you winning the lottery.  

blackfoxi

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 am
.Hussein Fatal.
The documentary includes dramatic recreations, based on the latest historical evidence, illustrating accurate images of Jesus of Nazareth, his family, his followers, his ministry, his crucifixion and his entombment.

I'm very suspicious about the 'accurate images,' if this means what Jesus and his followers supposedly looked like. Lady Detarra has already mentioned the problems of DNA evidence. That leaves reconstructing what these people looked like from the evidence of the bones.

It's been done before. I've seen programs in which experts take casts of skulls and then add on layers of sinew, muscle and skin using clay. Supposedly, the result is a replica of the face as it would have looked when the person was alive. The trouble is, there's serious doubt about how accurate these portraits really are. Bones don't tell you everything. They don't tell you exactly how the flesh was distributed and you can't be sure of the shape of the nose if the cartilege has rotted away.

'Portraits' like this are probably pure guesswork.

The Vampire Ruler
Now every religion will focus itself on this news, and build upon making themselves stronger, and we all know the stronger something is the more likely it will be corrupt...

I doubt it. The Hindu, Shinto and neo-pagan communities (among others) will probably go on just as before, and not really take much notice.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:45 am
I hope it's not his. I would never hear the end of it from my aunt...  

Draydrigo

Practical Archenemy

14,275 Points
  • Team Devin 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Squash Stomper 75

dreamingscribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:58 am
The names Jesus, which can also be translated Joshua, Mary, Joseph, and even the Apostles' names were all very common during that time period.

I don't know for sure, but it could very well be a hoax. Anyone remember the ossuary (bone box) they found that suposedly belonged to James, brother of Jesus? This was just from a couple of years ago and it was proven to be a fake.

I'd like to find out more about first century burial practices. I'm not sure if it was common practice to bury non family members in another family's tomb.

Which apostles are supposed to have been found there? Many of the apostles took their ministry to other countries.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:27 pm
i dont really care  

The Reused

Icy-Determination_020

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:03 pm
rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:55 pm
man all thay found was a cave and said it was his tomb  

badboy_rt

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:04 pm
badboy_rt
man all thay found was a cave and said it was his tomb

...it wasn't just a cave. It WAS a tomb, whether or not it was Jesus'.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:02 pm
happy_dragon93
i dont really care

If you dont care then why did you post?

Your just a sad condemned little girl.  

Suriyel Seraphim

Eloquent Elocutionist

3,750 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:35 am
All of you make the points I was thinking of. I don't beleive they really found him though and, even if they did, the DNA wouldn't do much if it got ruined and didn't come straight from the host. Too many factors around. People will proably fight over it for awhile or just not care. It's a matter of what you believe or want to believe. Science cannot always solve everything.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff