Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Copyright Issues? - Vintage Crochet & Knitting Patterns

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it morally & legally alright to pass on out-of-print vintage patterns?
  yes
  no
  unsure
View Results

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:21 am
I just recently joined this guild, and I have a question for all of you. I have some lovely, cool, awesome crochet & knitting patterns that I bought on eBay that are from like the 1950s to the 1970s. Probably, most of the pattern books are out of print.

So, I was wondering, can I post them in the guild for people who might want to use them? They're so pretty! And, if I remember, there were some cool mod 60s patterns among my books too. I won't be able to post them for awhile - about a week and a half, most likely, because they're at my father's house and I won't be visiting him until next weekend.

However, I thought I'd ask you in advance so that I know whether or not to take the time to look for them next week. Once I have the books with me, I should be able to look their titles up on Amazon.com to see if they're still in print. If they're not, then it might (maybe?) be legal to share them with other people? What do you think?

If it's okay to post them, I'd like to share them with you all. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:29 am
If they're out of print, it's likely that their copy right is expired. In which case, it's perfectly legal to put them up. The package might say when the copy right was, too. But I'd look it up first.  

Silvander

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:36 pm
You might want to ask about copyright issues on Craftster. www.craftster.org I know they have a vintage craft thread where people have been posting scans of stuff. There are a few regulars there who have vintage patterns on their sites too.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Thanks for your feedback! When I find the pattern books (hopefully next weekend) I'll examine the books to find the copyright dates and try to figure things out. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff