Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Quilting Bee Thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What kind of quilt should we make together?
  a crazy quilt
  some type of patchwork quilt
  some other type of quilt - please state what it is in a post.
View Results

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:41 am
I had an idea for a quilting-bee thread. We could go panel-by-panel with several selections of fabric from online. Each person who wants to participate would pick one fabric print out of many for each panel. I would design each square/panel and eventually we'd end up with a whole quilt. It would just be a digital quilt (just a picture that I create in Photoshop out of all the various fabrics.) However, a list of the fabric names and where to purchase them online could be included by the people who post the pictures of fabric prints they found online. So, that way, if anyone wants to make the quilt (in real life) they would be able to use the same fabric prints, if they wanted to. Or, they could use the color scheme and pattern as a guide when they shop for the fabric.

Either way, whether the quilt gets made in real life or not, it would be fun to have a quilting bee thread and create a digital quilt together. Oh! If anyone else has Photoshop and wants to create/put-together some of the blocks, they can do so too! ^_^

And just like quilting bees were (as I've heard them described in historical fiction novels) we could chat in the room about our daily lives as we "make" our quilt together!

First off, let's choose a theme for the quilt, type of quilt, color scheme, etc. for our first quilt. Any suggestions?

Also, if you're interested in submitting pictures of fabric to include in the quilt, and the digital quilt "blocks" please let me know. ^_^

When I have the time (a couple of days from now, maybe) I'll post some pictures that are examples of what finished "blocks/squares" might look like. ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:59 am
Hmm ... well, I was thinking I'll go ahead and start the chatting aspect of the thread going. Let's see ... How long have you been a member of Gaia and how did you hear about it? Also, how did you find out about this guild?

I've been a member of Gaia since late June of last year. Some friends told me about it, I joined and quickly became addicted to it! ninja I love being able to make friends, role play, discuss various things I'm interested in with others who share the same interests - to be able to do all of those things on the same site on the internet is awesome. smile

I found this guild through searching the word ... hmm ... was it knitting, crocheting or sewing ? (I can't remember now) on the guild page. I am so glad I found this guild! I love it! The people here are so nice, creative, and encouraging. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Smillaaraq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:31 am
This sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I do like the idea of giving the option for color schemes and general patterns as well as specific fabrics -- that will allow folks who don't have well-stocked fabric stores nearby, or are trying to use up a fabric stash instead of adding to it, to play along. (Heck, if you go with color schemes perhaps folks could even knit/crochet afghan squares if they don't quilt?)

And I've been on Gaia only since, um, late last year -- I don't even remember when I first heard of it, it was quite a long time ago; I'd been playing around with the Tekteg avi generators for ages and finally decided I should try out the real thing one of these days. I found the guild just randomly browsing through looking for things that fit my interests, and was thrilled to see so many other crafty folks working in a variety of other mediums.
4laugh  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:09 am
it sounds really neat! I love quilts i made one for my bed....another idea is to "stitch" your gaia name on the patch you chose. Then the patch goes to a link which shows the whole quilt so then you always have your patch of the quilt....just a thought  

sparklingbutterfly

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:47 pm
sparklingbutterfly
it sounds really neat! I love quilts i made one for my bed....another idea is to "stitch" your gaia name on the patch you chose. Then the patch goes to a link which shows the whole quilt so then you always have your patch of the quilt....just a thought

An excellent idea! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:35 am
Smillaaraq
(Heck, if you go with color schemes perhaps folks could even knit/crochet afghan squares if they don't quilt?)

Good idea! smile

Smillaaraq
And I've been on Gaia only since, um, late last year -- I don't even remember when I first heard of it, it was quite a long time ago; I'd been playing around with the Tekteg avi generators for ages and finally decided I should try out the real thing one of these days. 4laugh

I love doing tekteks! It's fun. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces