Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply The Sims Guild
What do you get out of the Sims? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Greenzally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 am

The other day I was having this bonding session with my dad, and he started asking me about stuff that I do with my time -- The Sims, for example.

He asked why I played so much - What did I get out of it? I sat there for about 5 minutes having NO clue what to say. I'd never thought about why I loved the Sims so much.
Its not productive
You don't learn anything
Its just... entertaining.

There MUST be SOME reason that we're all addicted to the Sims. Why aren't we addicted to any other PC games? What makes the Sims stand out?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:55 pm
I've just sat and done the exact same thing as you; failed to come up with a reason to why I like the game. I just do. My dad can't understand why I like it because of it lacking the main focus of a final goal to reach. I guess that IS why I like it. I don't normally play games that can be finished because I can never usually do it. Plus you can make up your own gameplay; you don't have to play a preset storyline.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Children for dinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:18 pm
I can't think of a reason either. Besides entertainment.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm
i find really entertaining and it it just like being god  

Jhlalala

Evil Murklins
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:17 pm
I have this game on my cell phone. "Surviving High School 07"

It's a terrible game. Boring, simple plots and a basic mini game.

And yet, I've sat up until 4am playing it. Why? Because it's addictive. A friend downloaded it, played all night, and agreed. It's addictive, and it's a terrible game.

I think, on some level, the Sims is also a horribly simple game. People who don't play don't understand why those who do play like it. And those who do like it, don't understand why.

>.> I can't find the point in that. +10 points if you can.

Anyway, I think there are somethings you can get out of it, but you get more if you don't cheat.

Family dynamics, budgeting, and a way to express your creativity are all offered. >.< I had some other ideas, but then they went away.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:30 pm
you guys can't think of ANY reason as to why we all LOVE the game!? aagggh!!! I love sims because I am in control...and I'm a family orianted type of person...so I like making up lives and stories and houses...I can't play other types of games except simulations because I don't like challenges...I get very angry and upset if I don't win...in sims...there is no competition...no winning I can see how you guys can't think of an actual reason as to why we are all so deeply obsessed with this magnificant game...but think about it...it's pretty hard to name reasons as to why you love any hobby or things like that...I love photography...why? I dunno, just something about it attracts me and holds me in...same with psychology...well, except I just wanna know why things happen and how and blah blah blah...I dunno...it doesn't matter why we love the game...the only thing that matters is that we do love the game...♥♥♥  

athena08905

MinaTheRomanticNeko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:41 pm
Probably because I love picking out skin tones, hair, makeup eyes, blah blah for the girls. That's my favorite part. And decorating the houses are fun, too. But my ultimate favorite part of the sims2 is downloading custom stuff. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:59 pm
I guess it's because you can control someone's life when you feel like you can't control your own. It might not be that reason for everybody but it's the reason that I like it so much!

For example, teens in the sims have it easy. All they need to do to do well in school is to do all their homework and go to school in a good mood. IT'S NOT THAT EASY IN THE REAL WORLD! And teen sims seem to have more fun than us teens.

izfreek

Greenzally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:33 pm

I think that athena08905's "Barbie" thread was an eye-opener for me.

I used to LOVE playing with Barbies as a kid redface , and the Sims is my grown up Barbie world - it REALLY is. I'm glad athena08905 pointed that out to me xd

But then theres the next question... Why do little girls like playing with Barbies? xd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:30 am
It's all got to do with our inner god complex, I'm sure. You know- having complete control over the lives of others and the world they live in.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

mis_3a

12,225 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:19 am
yes it's an entertaining, addictive game...maybe it's because you can control lives twisted lol!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:03 am
I love it because it's one of the few things in my life I can do that has no point. I don't have to stress for a certain goal and if I do go for some kind of goal I'm not gritting my teeth trying to get there like I am with some other games.

I can make a story and just play it out. Nothing telling me how fast I have to do it in or the specific way I have to do it (unless you do a challenge but you can choose to do that). I can just play without the pressures of some other games out there.  

Lady Vina

Sundance Rendevous

Dapper Member

3,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:18 pm
I like it for entertaiment! Like killing the sims and things like that. If you have the seasons expansion or any expansion you get new stuff and usually love it! I certainly do. But with seasons there are new ways to kill your sims.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:09 pm
Greenzally

I think that athena08905's "Barbie" thread was an eye-opener for me.

I used to LOVE playing with Barbies as a kid redface , and the Sims is my grown up Barbie world - it REALLY is. I'm glad athena08905 pointed that out to me xd

But then theres the next question... Why do little girls like playing with Barbies? xd

That's what my mom says. I loved barbies too.  

MinaTheRomanticNeko

athena08905

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 am
lol I'm glad I brought you to your realization greenzally biggrin 3nodding heart  
The Sims Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff