Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammar And Artistic Talent: Is There A Link? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:35 am
Just something I noticed over observation. I'm an artist (not professional, just a hobby) and naturally I have joined a lot of art sites. Of course there are always some bad uploads, but I have noticed one thing: people with better grammar seem to be better artists. I've never seen a crappy MSpaint drawing submitted by somebody with good grammar.
Is there a connection to the ability to talk well and the ability to draw and animate?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:32 am
I use grammar and I've been told I draw well. o o  

Sighren

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:32 pm
Maybe, do a study on it, kid! You'll win A+ at any science fair!

But I think a big thing is that people who put a lot of time/effort into their work are usually the ones who post great things online. Being one of those (Though all my stuff has been taken down due to computer issues) I would safely say that I would not want bad grammar turning people away from my work.

Someone who's proud of their work will be proud of the words about it. They're willing to spend the five seconds to use proper grammar.

Good art = not lazy = Good grammar. cool  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:52 pm
Well, that is very interesting. I spend a lot of time on art forums and chat rooms, and I have to say the people with the most irritating styles of typing are usually only groupies, not the individual artists.

www.gracewaa.deviantart.com

Sorry, I had to whore my art page to you all... heart  

Songo-Hanli Aanali

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:02 pm
SilverBellsAbove

That about sums it up!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:08 pm
O.O I do draw my own graphic novels...and I improve slowly but surely, or so I've been told. I wonder...  

Patron with a Mission

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:59 pm
Seems my theory is shared.
On MR (kill me) there are 2 Norwegian guys (if you're a member there, you'll know who I'm talking about) who use perfect grammar, and English isn't even their native language, and they're the best artists on the site.
Then again, A guy with pretty sucky grammar just got banned for plagiarising.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:00 pm
Aubrey Nicole
SilverBellsAbove

That about sums it up!

Well, I have good grammar. But I can't draw at all. Well, I can but only to the semi-scetch stage. At that point it looks good. But after that point it does not. So there could be a link. But I do love art, and I study it.

Angelic-Sargeant

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:35 pm
Aubrey Nicole
SilverBellsAbove

That about sums it up!

I agree.

Songo-Hanli Aanali
www.gracewaa.deviantart.com

Sorry, I had to whore my art page to you all... heart

Well, since you've started it, click here for mine. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:25 am
Well, I am looking to become a cartoonist as my future career and I do use good grammar. Most of the people I know who are very good artists use proper grammar. Those I've met who don't (and there are very few) aren't native English speakers and are still learning, so that's alright.  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:41 am
I must be the exception to the rule because although I have proper grammar, my ability to draw and paint is practically nonexistent.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:58 am
I think there must be, Yami, since a guy with pretty good grammar took a real picture of a Heckler and Koch Universal Selfloading Pistol and added a huge, crappily drawn, ugly silencer. >.>

Kill me...my art page.
http://rayne.hellawack.net/media/people/Diseased_101
(Only works in IE, not Firefox)

Don't bother about the ratings, there's some guy who votebombs everything I make, and he has an IP changer. sad  

MadnessFreak

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:32 am
You know, I never thought about that. I do know an anomaly to your theory, though. My best friend is a fantastic artist, but she really doesn't like spelling and grammar. She does have me proofread her stuff, occasionally, however.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:23 am
This is an interesting thought... Good grammar started when I was young, and so did my art skills. All throughout the years and I never thought of a connection. xd

Well, here comes peer pressure...

http://sin-ge.deviantart.com/]http://sin-ge.devantart.com  

SinnyStar

Invisible Star

Silverkleptofox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:58 am
If you really get into it, grammar is an artform. Anyone can talk slang but it takes talent and hard work to use perfect grammar. Art (of course) is an artform as well, so it only makes sense that an artist would use good grammar. But it only works one way, people who use good grammar aren't neccesarily artists.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff