Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Combining patterns

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nyappy?
  Nyappy!
  not so nyappy...
  what the heck are you talking about? Is nyappy a word?
View Results

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:47 am
Is there a fairly easy way to say, take a top pattern and a skirt pattern and combine them into a dress pattern?

I was thinking that if they both had a line that showed waistline, it wouldn't be too hard, but i was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me it wouldn't work, before i bought the pattern for formal wear seperates and made a muslin dress attempting this....  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:27 am
Where are you planning to buy the pattern? I would actually go into an independent fabric store to buy it, hopefully the staff there would know what they're doing a little more than say the people at Joanne's. Ask questions.

It might depend on how the top and skirt are made and the fullness of the skirt. I'd look for princess seams at the waistline or darts that could be merged. Luckily the pattern envelope usually has depictions of the individual pattern pieces.
You could use dressmaker's tracing paper to merge the patterns once you figure out if they can be merged.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:45 am
ForestGreen
Where are you planning to buy the pattern? I would actually go into an independent fabric store to buy it, hopefully the staff there would know what they're doing a little more than say the people at Joanne's. Ask questions.

It might depend on how the top and skirt are made and the fullness of the skirt. I'd look for princess seams at the waistline or darts that could be merged. Luckily the pattern envelope usually has depictions of the individual pattern pieces.
You could use dressmaker's tracing paper to merge the patterns once you figure out if they can be merged.

Thank you! I think that this pattern should work, as does my mom, but i'm very, very, very worried about it -not- working. Because i don't want a two piece prom dress.

I pretty much have two choices for fabric stores: Hancocks and Joannes. In my experiance, hancocks has been more knowledgable, and more patient. Aslo, they've never gotton on my case about asking questions and then saying that i wasn't going to buy the pattern today or anything like that. Joanne's gets pissy if i look around, ask questions, and then when they ask if i'd like them to cut fabric, tell them that i have to wait till my mom brings me in. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:08 pm
That looks like it should work with those lovely long princess seams. It looks like the seams will meet up fairly well. Be careful about getting the waist in the right place since the bodice looks like it's hip length. Make sure you ask someone at the store though, because I'm no expert.

I would have loved a two-piece prom dress if I had ever gone to prom. I'm much larger on top than I am on the bottom and a two-piece like that would have been perfect. Oh well, I babysat for three women that night because their regular babysitters were at prom. I made a mint! My wedding gown was a two-piece, although you can't tell it from the pictures. The woman I rented it from made all of the gowns that way so the brides could mix and match bottoms and tops to get a custom look.

The last time I was in Joanne's the clerk I talked to was a royal airhead and had no clue about the stuff she was selling so I'm a little biased against them.

Make sure to buy some dressmaker's tracing paper. It will save a bunch of headaches in the long run.

Good luck with your dress, and show us pictures when you're done. 3nodding  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:38 am
I think it'll work; beyond Forest Green's suggestions I would also suggest getting a couple of yards of either plain muslin or $1.00 per yard cotton from the discount bin and do a mock up. That way if something is really weird you can try it out on the cheap fabric first and if it works then you'll be secure in cutting into your nice fabric; if it doesn't then you won;t care if you're only throwing out $3.00 of fabric.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:58 am
That sounds and look like it should work. I second the recommendation of trying it out on cheap fabric, first, though. And remember- never measure yourself. ALWAYS get someone else to do it. 3nodding

My prom dress was a two piece afair and when we were told my graduation dress had to be one piece, my mom made the high waisted bodice and bottom part seperatley, then attached them, for ease during sewing. As I am, like Forest Green, mcuh larger in the top than the bottom. (at the time I think I was a size 4/6 and a 36 DD bust >< No dress made fit me).  

Silver Mist

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:11 pm
Thank you all so much! I was already going to start with muslin, since we have a HUGE bolt of it in the house, and i don't want to spend my $150 on fabric (thats my budget - $150 for fabric, $50 for purse, wrap, and other stuff like that, and one pair of shoes) only to screw it up.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:13 pm
$150 for fabric?! Get pictures of that fabulousness when you get it! Cause for that kind of money, you can have one seriously swanky dress. ^^  

Silver Mist

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:00 am
Seriously.

I have a few restrictions.... like.... i need to be able to sew it.... I have trouble with velvet... is there something that you can do that would make sewing velvet and slippery fabrics, like satin?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:50 am
My mother, who used to make wedding gowns, is best known for saying "Slippery fabrics are always a btich. It doesnt matter how long you've used them. They will slide and slip and generally, try to be a s**t head."

Her advise to people on this is alwasy to take it really slow and set aside plenty of time and extra fabric to fix any issues that might arise.  

Silver Mist

Smillaaraq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:32 pm
kochi~mochi
I have trouble with velvet... is there something that you can do that would make sewing velvet and slippery fabrics, like satin?

An even feed/walking foot will be a huge help if you're working on anything slippery -- it makes sure the top layers of fabric are moving along with the bottom layers that are touching the feed dogs.

If you can't find one to fit your sewing machine, lots of careful pinning and/or hand basting stitches will help. But I'm a really big fan of a walking foot or machines with a built-in dual feed -- even when you're not working on slippery dressy fabric, they're great for quilting or other projects with lots of layers, keeping stripes and plaids matched up properly, and so forth.

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games