Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I have all these quilting squares...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jennsplosions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:41 pm
I got them at a thrift store for $.50
They're pretty small, like 2 or 3 inches (I'm canadian, and doing my best to estimate at the imperial system!)

I'm not the quilting type, but I've been considering making them into little yoyos, and making a scarf out of them.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(yo-yo image for reference.)

i'm just wondering if you guys think that the yo-yos will do some weird bunching thing if I only have one or two rows of them. >_> They probably won't, but mine will be real small yoyos, and i don't want to waste my time on it if it's gonna do somethin' crazy.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:20 pm
~
You can get some medium-heavyweight iron on interfacing and cut them the size of the finished yoyo (not including the gathered part), so that the round part will for the most part keep its shape. Most cotton things will crush if used in something like a scarf unless you intend to wear it loosely. Interfacing will help but also if you are always tying it in the same place no one will notice the crush. You could also try to iron it out flat again.
I have an old yo-yo quilt that I definately would not put in the washer machine but it is OLD old(read:from the 30's or 40's), so that is a contributing factor.

I would say, you got the fabric so cheap that it might be worthwhile to just steam on right ahead even just to see what will happen.

~

Tes

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:41 pm
If they're moderatly heavy and you like sewing I remember seeing a pattern from the 1970's which inspired me... they has sewn together alot of medium heavy squares of fabric with a serger to form cloth and then made a sweet pair of bell bottoms.

Though if that's way too hippie for you, I think a yo yo scarf would be really fun too smile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:45 pm
YourAzureGoddess
If they're moderatly heavy and you like sewing I remember seeing a pattern from the 1970's which inspired me... they has sewn together alot of medium heavy squares of fabric with a serger to form cloth and then made a sweet pair of bell bottoms.

Though if that's way too hippie for you, I think a yo yo scarf would be really fun too smile
Serger?

*feels like a crafting n00b*

Maer^ier

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:15 pm
That looks like fun. ^^  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items