Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Dollar signs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Speaking of money, you want some?
  Yeah, sure, thanks...
View Results

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:26 am
Okay, normally, I'm quite respectful of grammar, but the position of currency signs is where grammar and I disagree.

The current standard in English is to put the dollar sign to the left of the number ($5). I think it should be put on the right (5$). Why?

1. When we speak, we say "dollars" after the number.
2. A dollar ($) is a unit of measure just as metre (m), yard (yd), gallon (gal), litre (l), and gram (g) are. Therefore, $ ought to be treated just like the others.
3. It makes more sense when combining with metric prefixes. e.g. $10M vs 10M$, $50k vs 50k$
4. Other languages put the $ to the right of the number. (Well, I know French does, I can't vouch for other languages.)
5. It's more visually pleasing to have the $ on the right when aligning the numbers at the decimal point (like spreadsheets do).

I don't know how other currency symbols are used. I think the British pound (£) is also put to the left of the number, which I think is wrong.

Why in gods' names is the dollar sign so special that it deserves a special nonsensical exception to the rule of putting the symbol after the number?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:32 am
I agree with you, you support good reasons and obviously, you aren't all that stupid to suggest it either. Grammar and math are two totally different subjects, Grammar belongs to English, and dollar signs belong to Math, but I can see your point. I will concede that they honestly need to put the dollar sign behind the number, but, because we cannot decide this, it will remain this way for years to come. biggrin

Alexia Angel Holtes

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:39 am
Hmm...never thought of it that way. I was always taught that the dollar sign goes to the left of the number like this: $5.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:24 am
Summary (connect to first post in corresponding numbers):

1. Yeah. I noticed that. Took me several years and a hell of a lot of research, mind.
2. I believe other units of money within the same nationality frame are treated differently, such as pounds and pence, dollars and cents, etc.
3. To be honest, it's both a tradition and a trading identification. You won't misread it and overpay then.
4. Foreign people have their own customs. I wouldn't bend people to the customs of other people, as the Soviets proved was a shitty idea.
5. That's a matter of opinion. I prefer it to be differerent.

The fact that you are referring to a symbol as 'special', makes me want to strap you to a wheelchair and wheel you to the nearest psychiatrist. Letters don't get all offended and start ringing you up and complaining if they believe that you've put them in the wrong place.

I find currency symbols used in that manner better, since I can recognise what currency I'm dealing with by looking at the positioning.

To me it's like saying "I don't think we shouldn't put cars on the road, but in the sea, since the cars don't like the road much."

Besides, writing '5£ 68p' seems stupid to me.  

MadnessFreak

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:19 pm
Huh, I never really thought about that. I'm lazy that way.

I'll look into it, though. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:34 pm
MadnessFreak
Summary (connect to first post in corresponding numbers):

1. Yeah. I noticed that. Took me several years and a hell of a lot of research, mind.
2. I believe other units of money within the same nationality frame are treated differently, such as pounds and pence, dollars and cents, etc.
3. To be honest, it's both a tradition and a trading identification. You won't misread it and overpay then.
4. Foreign people have their own customs. I wouldn't bend people to the customs of other people, as the Soviets proved was a shitty idea.
5. That's a matter of opinion. I prefer it to be differerent.

1. research?!
2. I was referring to units of measure. You can measure money, just as you can measure weight, length, volume and time. Yes, the cents symbol is also put to the right of the number when used.
3. I know it's tradition, but to me that's not a valid excuse to continue to do something that doesn't make sense. That's like saying, our ancestors all had slaves, therefore we should continue to have slaves, they're good for the economy. I don't understand your point about overpayment. Can you elaborate?
4. Yes, but are we being different for the sake of being different or being stuborn, or is there a logical reason for the way things are?
5. Okay, I'll concede that the visually pleasing point was weak. It was meant as a bonus feature rather than a primary argument.

Quote:
The fact that you are referring to a symbol as 'special', makes me want to strap you to a wheelchair and wheel you to the nearest psychiatrist. Letters don't get all offended and start ringing you up and complaining if they believe that you've put them in the wrong place.

I meant special in the minds of the language users, not in the mind of other symbols. If I said the order of the alphabet should be "asdfghjkl...", the letters wouldn't care, but a whole lot of people would.

Quote:
I find currency symbols used in that manner better, since I can recognise what currency I'm dealing with by looking at the positioning.

That's the reason the Spanish had for putting ¡ and ¿ before sentences that have ! and ? at the end, so they have a visual cue ahead of time about how they should interpret the sentence. I think that's a valid reason. But I don't think it's sufficient. Besides, numbers, especially when dealing with money, are rarely long enough to warrant this kind of visual cue when there are so many other benefits to having it the way I'm proposing.

Quote:
To me it's like saying "I don't think we shouldn't put cars on the road, but in the sea, since the cars don't like the road much."

No. The better analogy is which side of the road to drive on.

Quote:
Besides, writing '5£ 68p' seems stupid to me.

That's not what I'm advocating. I'm advocating writing something like "5.68£" and "11.16$". However, the sequence of symbols you used is not unheard of. We use it for angles measured in degrees, as in 23°19', and in some cultures, time 13h15.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 pm
I'm sorry if this sounds rude but what difference would it make?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:27 pm
MuffinChick54
I'm sorry if this sounds rude but what difference would it make?

Really? Not much. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I like logic and consistency in the rules I'm to follow, that's all. It bugs me that people follow rules without ever questioning them. Then I'm the one that looks like an idiot when I break the rule, even though I do it on purpose and with good reason.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Undertakerfangirl

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:13 pm
The only reason that I can think of as to why the dollar sign should be to the left of the number is in the inevitable instance of change being involved. i.e.: $6.28. Let's face it, many Americans are quite stupid, and would be too easily confused by 6.28$. Therefore, the symbol has to be to the left, as we are a society that caters to the lazy and lackadaisical. Live with it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:32 pm
I can see what you are saying, and even through it would be proper... I dont think they would change it, I am sure that people would still put the $x sign as thats how they have been taught.

For me, I just use the '$' sign to the left or for responses use the word dollar after it.

Still... this isnt a bad argument and I can see what you mean.  

OtakuStudy

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:23 pm
I've actually thought of that several times myself. It's strange isn't it?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games