Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What Is It About A Book...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Setsu-P has stepped out

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:40 am
..that makes it worth buying?

Living on a budget, as I'm sure most of us do, teaches us lessons.. for example, that getting things for free from the library is better than going out, buying a book, and then finding out it's not so good. I like to try before I buy, when I can.

Sometimes, though, you come across a book that you just have to own for your personal collection. It could be thought-provoking, or entertaining, or it could just give you a serious imagination high. What is it about your favorite books that fires up your need to possess?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:42 am
I have a tight budget. I don't buy clothes, I don't go out to dinner, I don't go to the movies, I barely spend any money at all. The only things I buy are books; lots and lots of books.

Now, my husband agrees with you. If I want to read a book, I should just go to the library. But for me, it just isn't the same. If I like it, I want the book so that if I want to read it again, read a passage to someone, or if I just think of something that reminds me of the book, I want to be able to go to my bookshelf and look it up. Plus, I love the smell of books. It's like perfume for my house.

I don't generally just buy books on a whim, though. I won't for example, just walk into Chapters and grab a book at random off the shelves. The books I buy are usually the ones I've read and really enjoyed, or books that someone I trust has recommended. The few times I do just pick up a book is when they have non-fiction books on sale - the kind with lots of big pictures on a particular subject and then short explanations of the pictures (for example, I have one on Tibetan Buddhism, one on the Valley of the Kings, things like that).  

Kukushka

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:43 am
I think it's the fact that the book is yours to keep, bought with your hard earned money that makes a book worth buying. It's similar to when you go on a vacation that you worked weeks and weeks for, and when you finally go, you're happy.

I believe it's the same with books. Most books I have are the classics such as The Princess Bride and more modern ones such as The Demon in the Freezer I like them because they provoke my mind. Recently, my boyfriend lent me a book called Beyond Singularity, and that book really made me think. I suggest it as a must-read for those who like sci-fi and wonder about our future.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:21 pm
dameonmac5918
I think it's the fact that the book is yours to keep, bought with your hard earned money that makes a book worth buying. It's similar to when you go on a vacation that you worked weeks and weeks for, and when you finally go, you're happy.

I believe it's the same with books. Most books I have are the classics such as The Princess Bride and more modern ones such as The Demon in the Freezer I like them because they provoke my mind. Recently, my boyfriend lent me a book called Beyond Singularity, and that book really made me think. I suggest it as a must-read for those who like sci-fi and wonder about our future.

I totally agree.

Except I don't buy books, I steal them.

*is killed by the literary mafia*

Just kidding! I have a library in my house! I don't steal books out of nowhere! Although I've been accused of it, I have never. So ha.  

SilverBellsAbove

CristoVII

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:00 pm
I really don't know, it's this otherworldly phenomenon that sends a telepathic message: "Buy me! you know you want to read me!"

I think books are feeding of our minds eek .

*picks up The Great Gadsby*

No! Stop! I don't want to read you!

xp  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:21 pm
I think it's because you want something to call your own.

Plus the smell of new books is just awesome!  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:53 am
I'm a book- hoarder. u.u I'm going to die and they'll have to dig though mountains of books just to find out I'm not in the house because I couldn't fit anymore.

I try not to buy books, just rent, but when I've checked out books so many times the librarians know what I've got before I get to them, I usually decide it's time to buy. Then I never read them again.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:37 am
Zweite
I really don't know, it's this otherworldly phenomenon that sends a telepathic message: "Buy me! you know you want to read me!"

xp

I love The Great Gastby...it's such an amazing book.  

Patron with a Mission

applecyder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:25 am
Zweite

xp

I agree with this. That's how I ended up with all six books of James Clavell's Asian Saga. Shogun did the Jedi mind trick on me ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:06 pm
When I love a book, I tend to read it over and over without getting tired. So, just borrowing from the library isn't enough for me whenever I feel the need to have a certain book. It just has to be on my bookshelf at home, a mere arm's reach away for me to grab and savor with my eyes at the pages instead of having to walk to the library (which isn't always open for reasons uknown >_<).  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces