Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Why do we have cuss words? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seven Jeans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:23 pm
I have always wondered about cuss words. Why are they so dirty to say? What makes them so unbareable to hear? I have always wondered this and would really like to know. Same thing with nudity. Why is it so shameful to be naked in public? We all were born in our birthday suits. I don't know, just voicing my opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:40 pm
People take themselves too seriously.

Every society has a certain set of taboos. Talking about those taboos makes people uncomfortable, and cuss words are words used to talk about those taboos. For example, the infamous f-word is said to be bad because people are ashamed to talk about sex.

For people who are more religious, saying Jesus out of context is also cussing.

Even the word cuss is a bastardization of the word curse.

As for nudity, I think it comes in large part from the literal interpretation of the Bible's account of the fall from Eden.

At least, those are my theories...  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:07 pm
We have cursewords because... because... I am sure the first word ever made was a curseword.

Thog trip over rock. He say '@!%^'.

Sooo... yeah.

both of these things have been around since' the dawn of man. I have never heard of a nudist culture. Except maybe the ancient Egyptians to an extent.

That's all I have on it. razz  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 pm
I suppose people needed a way to quickly express displeasure, pain, or anger.

For example, the "middle finger" otherwise known as a "flip off" was devised by French archers in the Middle Ages. It used to be insulting putting your index finger under the tip of your nose and arching it forward, but for some reason the French failed to do this, so they used their middle finger and "pop!" they just "flipped off" the English.  

CristoVII

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:24 pm
I actually heard that we're more stringent on those kind of things now than before. Makes you think, huh?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:38 pm
darkrose_eve
I actually heard that we're more stringent on those kind of things now than before. Makes you think, huh?

I thought these comics seemed appropriate :
http://ohmygods.timerift.net/strips/2004/10/06.php
http://ohmygods.timerift.net/strips/2004/10/07.php

Edit : Here's another one :
http://ohmygods.timerift.net/strips/2005/01/27.php  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Setsu-P has stepped out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:16 am
darkrose_eve

I blame that on this crazy idea people seem to have gotten that they need to "protect" their children from everything. Can't explain the media, though.. the TV and movie industries have been getting looser and looser. Ever notice how few "G" rated movies there are anymore?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:28 am
Personaly I don't see whats wrong with cuss words and poeple have failed to explain it to me!  

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:27 am
I cuss when I'm mad, just not in every single sentence like some people at my school, who think it's totally acceptable to call their friends 'bitches' as a so-called "affectionate" term.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:05 pm
I have wondered about that, myself. If you think about it, most curse words' origins are not very offensive at all. Whenever I have asked someone this question, the response I usually get is something along the lines of, "It's the meaning behind the word that makes it bad."

So, you might as well say that "butt" is a curse word. Or "fornicate." Because both words have the same meaning behind them as "a**" and "********" in those particular contexts. So, what is it that makes these words so obscene?

As for nudity, I think that it should be a little less taboo because you're right, being naked is natural. Although, I'm sure it has something to do with your level of self-comfort and moral values. If we were all naked all the time, it would, for example, be less of a special occasion when one has sex for the first time. I don't know. Bleh. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. neutral  

darlingcrescent

Once Was

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:26 pm
I think cussing is a big deal because when you are mad, most people anyway, aren't like darn I bumped my toe. They yell out GD or F***. I don't cuss and I don't really approve of it. Because most of the time the words are said in anger or to belittle someone else, as in getting cussed out. And that's why I don't cuss or really like to tolerate it, but I go to high school so I do, but if it gets too out of hand I leave. If I can't leave I say something.

And for the nude thing...Honestly I don't think people should be showing off their bodies except to the one they love. And there would be so much temptation if people when around nude, not saying everyone wouldn't be able to control themself, but it would be a lot harder.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:36 pm
Once Was
And for the nude thing...Honestly I don't think people should be showing off their bodies except to the one they love. And there would be so much temptation if people when around nude, not saying everyone wouldn't be able to control themself, but it would be a lot harder.

If everyone was naked all, or at least most of the time, the nudity itself would become less sexual. What I mean is that it would be so common place that nudity would turn people on just as much as, say potatoes do now (no offense to potato fetishists). However, I don't believe it would devalue the act of having sex.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Once Was

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:37 pm
Yeah, I see what you're saying.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:34 am
I'm guessing it's because of society's own wonderful cycle of irony and chaos. We don't like cuss words nor nudity, but it's increasingly popular.

As for being nude, I suspect that at one time it was okay, but eventually it became a social taboo.

But...that is something to think about.  

Patron with a Mission

Alexia Angel Holtes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:52 am
Well, cuss words have a more definite meaning than other words that people come up with, not to mention easier to spell and such.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff