Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Vintage Crochet Patterns

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:35 am
Hi everyone! I will be posting some vintage crochet patterns here later on today! xd (I have to wait for the scanner to be installed before I can scan the pictures - but they're coming soon!)

I have looked around online a lot and cannot find any evidence that the company which produced these pattern books is still in existance, so I think that the patterns are okay to share (as far as copyright rules go)

The patterns are from American Thread Company's books: No. 200 & 214. These books were printed during the 1960's (I can tell from the look of the styles.)

I'll be posting the patterns in this thread later on today (hopefully.)

When I looked the books up on Amazon, the author was listed as "American Thread Company." So, if the company is no longer in existance and these books are not in print, I think it is probably okay to pass these patterns on to you all. It would be a shame for them to be gone and forgotten forever! sad  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:37 pm
Yay for the vintageness!!! They're actually my more favored projects to do 3nodding  

RocknRollDragon

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:53 pm
After a few more hours of research, I found out that ... the company is still in existance sad ... so, I can't post them now ... oh well ... I'm sorry, everyone ...

Anyway, how do I delete this thread? It's pointless now, I guess. sad

Sorry ...

Something that really bugs me about the whole situation is that the books do no even have copyright info in them! There is no copyright date listed ... *sighs*  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 pm
I just looked up the company in a copyright database and found out that there are only 3 copyrighted works by that company (American Thread Co.):

1. Registration Number: TX-161-059
Title: Suisse, the beautiful thread].
Imprint: Stamford, Conn. : American Thread, c1978.
Description: Folder.
Claimant: acThe American Thread Company
Created: 1978
Published: 30Nov78
Special Codes: 1/B/D

2. Registration Number: TX-261-871
Title: Fun-fast-fancy stitchery / from American Thread.
Imprint: Stamford, Conn. : American Thread, c1978.
Description: Folder.
Claimant: acThe American Thread Company
Created: 1978
Published: 15Jan79
Special Codes: 1/B

Documents Database (PTY1/ Search)
Search For: AMERICAN THREAD COMPANY
Item 1 of 1
Item 1 OF 1 V2782 P195 THRU 199 (COHD)
Date Recorded: 2Jul92
Date Executed: 13Feb92; date of cert.: 14May92
Party 1: American Thread Company.
Party 2: Coats American, Inc.
Note: Fun, fast, fancy stitchery & 10 other titles. Certificate of amendment

to the certificate of incorporation of the American Thread Company.

I have seen some information to suggest that even if a work was never formally copyrighted but was merely printed, that it is copyrighted! ninja

From everything I've been able to find out about the books which I bought second hand on ebay, these little pattern pamphlet books were never formally copyrighted, but ...

flightoftheunicorn

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:37 pm
So, I don't know what to do ... now I'm really confused ... probably best that I don't post the patterns anyway (to be on the safe side.) However, since I can't figure out how to delete the thread, I figured I could post links to websites that have free vintage patterns (which were found to be copyright free.)

http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/index.html

Here's one pattern which I particularly love:

http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/purses/2713-purse-pattern.html  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:41 pm
Here's some information about copyrights:

http://www.copyright.gov/records/
http://www.copyright.gov/
http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/info/copyright.html
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/renewals.html
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter13/index.html  

flightoftheunicorn

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:20 pm
Copyright law is surprisingly extensive, especially after DMCA. That's too bad that you probably can't share them. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if the patterns are out of print.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:48 am
Oh well...thanks so much for the webistes though 3nodding  

RocknRollDragon

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:53 pm
DecemberFlower
Copyright law is surprisingly extensive, especially after DMCA. That's too bad that you probably can't share them. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if the patterns are out of print.

Yeah, part of me actually feels the same way - they're not in print anymore, there's no copyright on them ... and I wouldn't be using them to make money, just sharing them with other people, so it doesn't seem wrong to me. However, part of me won't feel right about posting them unless I can find out for sure if it's okay. I spent hours yesterday looking for information about the company, their patterns, etc. I couldn't even find a web site for the company! I did finally find out that the American Thread Company has a plant in Asheville, North Carolina, USA, but that's all I was able to find out about the current state of the company. All the other information I found out about them was about all of these times that they moved locations and closed down plants. I can't believe they don't have a website ... By now, I am so pissed with this company for not having a website stare (How silly and petty of me to feel that way. redface )

I'm gonna try to look around more on the net to see if I can find some contact info for the company - maybe they have a customer service phone number I could call to ask about the patterns. They must have a website! They must! (I've looked and looked and haven't found one so far.) Everyone and their mother has a website in this day and age ...

As for the patterns, it seems to me that the patterns were created mainly for the purpose of promoting their yarn (all of the patterns list their company's yarns in the materials lists.)

Anyway, I haven't given up entirely on the idea of posting them - I just want to find out for sure if it's okay. (I don't want to do anything wrong - this is such a moral and legal gray area though!)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:03 pm
RocknRollDragon
Oh well...thanks so much for the webistes though 3nodding

Too bad that I can't post the patterns, isn't it? sad I am glad that I found the websites though, and I'm glad that you like them. I'm going to try and find more websites with free antique and vintage patterns and post the links in this thread. Vintage patterns are so cool! biggrin

This thread might be a good place to list links to copyright-free vintage & antique sewing patterns! Anyone who wants to can come list them here in this thread. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff