Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
My afternoon with a slang speaking person.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I need to __________ to cure the upset that comes from hearing incorrect English.
  Listen to music!
  *takes out a sword* Why, kill him, of course!
  Hug me?
  Give me gold...and maybe your soul.
View Results

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:40 am
I walked into Music Appreciation class, but the teacher was missing. So I turned to the one kid who had shown up and he asked me where the teacher was. I answered that I had no idea, and that more than likely, the class was canceled. Since we have an exam coming up, he asked if I had the review. I told him that I did and we rode together to my dorm to go get it. Then suddenly, I noticed that the seat was too low and I looked to him.

He said: "You can raise the seat up, yo. That be the way my homie hangs out, you know the *%@, yo?"

I needn't say the rest of the conversation, because that's basically all he said through his small talk on the way. Since there are no visitors allowed in my dorm without ID, he had to wait outside. In the privacy of my dorm, I shuddered and put on Japanese music. It's more understandable than his slang. crying

I'm currently printing out the study guide trying to get the slang out of my head...not to mention the improper English...anyone got any advice as to how to deal with him next time?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:54 am
Bring a gun. He who has no respect for others ears does not deserve genitilia.  

MadnessFreak

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:00 pm
*bangs her head on the wall and cries*

I just came back from giving him the study guide...and he called me "homie."

crying I think I need a hug.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:21 pm
*Huggles*
My severe condolences. T__T  

MadnessFreak

-l- Eli -l-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm
C'mon, it's not that bad. sweatdrop Different subcultures have different slang and expressions, and there's nothing wrong with that. You mentioned Japanese music -- do you ever use Japanese words? That's not any worse.

I understand if you object to the profanity, but look at it this way: if he spoke the way you do, what would his friends think of him? They'd probably laugh him out of town. So don't judge so harshly. He's different than you, and not grammatically correct, but doesn't deserve your reaction.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:34 pm
I don't really use any Japanese unless I know the person I'm speaking to understands what I'm saying. I understand the music by repeatedly listening to it, but I don't force my music on others, nor do I expect them to force it on me. I'll listen with headphones, and the world and I are happy.

If he spoke the way I did, understandably and with some intelligence, he might have a better chance in life other than a fast food chain.

But perhaps you are right. He's degrading the English language and doesn't deserve the fact that I did help him without reservation, and the fact that I was nice enough to not do anything until he was far away. Yes, you're truly right.  

Patron with a Mission

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:09 pm
Ugh...that reminds me of 95% of my school. :shudders:  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:14 am
I have a friend who sometimes speaks like that, but only as a joke. smile  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:11 am
For some reason, I can tolerate some slang, but that near drove me nuts. I've always had this problem, it seems. Mind, I have nothing against sub-cultures and such (I seem to be in my own), but seriously. Does a cuss word have to be said every other word, and does one really have to say "Yo." all the time?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:47 am
Maybe it's the suggestiveness of it...  

CristoVII

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:16 pm
Slang doesn't usually bother me, but 'yo' as anything other than a greeting does. Ah well.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 pm
dameonmac5918
I don't really use any Japanese unless I know the person I'm speaking to understands what I'm saying. I understand the music by repeatedly listening to it, but I don't force my music on others, nor do I expect them to force it on me. I'll listen with headphones, and the world and I are happy.

If he spoke the way I did, understandably and with some intelligence, he might have a better chance in life other than a fast food chain.

But perhaps you are right. He's degrading the English language and doesn't deserve the fact that I did help him without reservation, and the fact that I was nice enough to not do anything until he was far away. Yes, you're truly right.

I said he doesn't deserve your reaction, and I'll stand by that statement. You and everyone else who replied with "*shudders*" or something similar are giving people who use good grammar a bad name. I can't fault you for treating him well, but the fact you did it while secretly loathing and deriding him rather defeats your gesture. It's like a child doing what they're told, and not because they believe it's right.

He was just trying to relate to you the only way he knows how. Did he choose to be raised in that culture? I don't even comprehend how you would expect him to just turn around and start emulating your ways. Oh, then he would have a shot at a job better than fast food, is that so? Yes, it's obviously his fault; he's willfully choosing to neglect his education because he understands the repercussions, despite having been brought up in a way to teach him how important it is. That's sarcasm, in case you're unaware.

Yes, it would be a good thing if he focused more on education, which would probably help his grammar as well. But you're acting like the only difference between you and him is that he chooses to "degrade the English language". Like he even sees it that way.

Your closed-mindedness and derision isn't going to help anyone. Understanding will. In the meantime, don't be shocked if someone calls you out for being a snob.  

-l- Eli -l-

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:25 pm
I thought over your last post, and you know what? You're right.

Though he cussed and spoke slang every other sentence, in order to not be considered a "Grammar Nazi" or a "snob", I have to be open minded about such things. I even apologized to him this afternoon for my attitude, and he grinned and said I wasn't the only one who thought that about him, and that he talked slang "to be cool like everyone else". And yet, he still spoke it, but nicely I listened.

In any case...I'm sorry if I appear to be a snob or something similar. I certainly didn't mean to sound that way, and that's the truth. sad I think I'm going to ask that this topic be taken down...I had no idea that this made me look like a snob...and if you think I'm being sarcastic, I'm not. I sincerely feel bad for even posting this...what do the rest of you think? Am I truly a snob for acting this way?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:29 pm
Yeah, it was a little snobby... But hey, no one's perfect -- I know there are things out there I should be more open-minded about myself. I'm glad you came around to my point of view on this, though. As he even said, most of it is just about cultural pressure to fit in. Though I doubt he used those exact words. *grins*

I hope you can help other people understand, too. Maybe even people reading this thread might rethink some things because of my words and your realization.  

-l- Eli -l-

Dreaming in the Theatre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:18 pm
I think slang is incredibly hilarious. But here, I include within "slang" words like "honey," "sweetcakes," and "babe." You know, pet names.

I think it's cute, but the moment people start cussing is when I draw the lie. :3

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff