Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
craft projects you hated

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Like gold?
  Here's some!
  no way!
View Results

rosesylace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm
Just for fun...What were some craft projects you received as a gift that you really just thought were tacky, ugly, or horrid???

I remember someone giving me a jar of stuffed hose shaped like a pig with pinto beans in it. The label was Pork' n' beans. I've held onto it for years. Don't know why...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 pm
OMG! I started this afghan thing for my daughter. I got a really pretty yarn and started crocheting. Well, that was 5 years ago and the darn thing still isn't done! It just keeps hanging around. I hate doing it because it's so boring! lol  

PiaZoe001

4,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:50 pm
I've been given some really ugly beads in the past. Surprisingly, from my mother. o.O I let her get away with it as it was when I first started beading, so she wasnt used to my taste in beads yet.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:13 pm
The only crafty friends I have are really really good at knitting. For a baby shower present, I recieved a little bitty knit sweater with a kickass skull on it! That's my favorite crafty present though. I guess I haven't recieved anything I haven't liked.

Though I'm sure that's about to change in a few years when my son starts making me macaroni necklaces that I'm expected to wear. *grin*  

Catcheen
Crew

Tes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:13 pm
~
My father once bought me this really kind of gross piece of fabric from a yard sale, with birds and things all over and pieces cut out of it. I just held onto it so that he wouldn't feel bad but you know I've kind of grown fond of its tackiness and I am looking for a suitable project to use it in. I think that he's forgotten about it by now which is kind of sad because I think my reaction to it at first let him down and now that I do like it, it wouldn't matter anyway.

When people give me things that I am not overwhelmingly pleased with I feel guilty because I know they put effort and thought and were expecting great reactions and it's my fault for not liking things and dashing their expectations.
I have a lot of guilt associated with recieving things. emo

~

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:17 pm
I've gotten lots and lots of tacky crafted gifts. From people that aren't even crafters, but they thought that because I was a crafter it would be neat give me crafted items.
I can't think of one specific one, but I just remind myself:
"It's the thought that counts, it's the thought that counts."
Over and over again, and I smile.  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

MicroMiniMuffins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:39 am
A few weeks ago in one of my classes, we had to make dioramas for this contest that the newspaper was sponsering. That would have been okay if we didn't have to use PEEPS. Ugh. That was QUITE ungodly...<.< And we only had an hour and a half to work on it.
The worst present I've ever recieved was this giant 'knitting' wheel thing that looked like it could fit the circumfrunce of MY hips (and I have some pretty HUGE hips...<.<). My grandma gave it to me for christmas one year and I honestly had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do with it. I still don't. In fact, I haven't taken it out of the packaging yet. <.< And that was two years ago. <.<  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:02 pm
My mother got this horrible Christmas Candle holder made from a glass jar and the worst nsty plastic ivy leaves you could imagine, crusted with white and iridescent glitter one year at work. And every year since then someone wraps it up, and gives it away to someone new every Christmas as a gag gift... and the new person has to keep it and give it away next year. Though not mine persay, it was the nastiest thing I have seen so far.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Smillaaraq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:54 am
Ugh, I used to get SO MUCH of that "she does crafty stuff so let's give her crafty gifts" from the inlaws, who just had no idea of my tastes. Lots and lots of hand-painted cutesy/country plaques and Christmas ornaments...a style that I really don't like at all. Then there was an envelope purse covered with all sorts of fancy threads laid down with machine couching -- kind of interesting, even if the colors didn't go with anything I'd ever wear, but whoever made it didn't finish it -- the shoulder strap was a really pretty twisted cord, but they forgot to finish the ends or actually SEW IT ON, so it was just taped on the cut ends and safety-pinned into the purse! But the worst one was probably the crazy quilt...the construction and finishing was all quite impeccable, but the fabric was all from horrible scratchy 1970s polyester doubleknit ties. eek  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:37 am
My Aunt is the QUEEN of ugly crafts!

Okay so, she herself can make Beautiful things, but for our family reunion she make this ugly thing, and gives it out to the latest person.

One year she made a lamp into a mans head with ugly curly hair, and a huge nose, and he had a fez for the lampshade hat... My Sister's ex got that gift... The rats ate it. xD

She's made lamps out of strange and tacky things. Actually one year she bought this old green crocete(sp?) funky hanging lamp... And I fell in love with it as a little kid... My mom haaaaaaaaaated it. But I brought it home and it stayed up in my room for years... But when we moved it conviniantly got left behind.

I don't really geeet ugly gifts from people. But I do hate making things that have no change... OH! And I will refuse to do any hand sewing unless there is no way out. xD <3  

CrystalRose

ladyleprechaun13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:12 pm
People just give me money as a gift, unless I ask for something specific.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:44 am
i always say to give me money and gift cards. its saves on the shipping cost. but i dont know about this easter... i've been warned by mom.

i dont think i have ever recieved a craft project i didnt like...or i just dont remember  

peachkitten

Umberella

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:07 pm
When I was in the hospital, my grandfather brought me some corn husk dolls. He said I could paint them and give them faces or something.
I feel really guilty about it still because that was the only crafty thing he ever gave me and I didn't do anything with it. crying  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:38 pm
I've gotten off pretty lucky, overall - most of them just give me supplies or giftcards, or something completely unrelated to crafting. One of my good friends did give me a fingerpainting set one time, which was fairly useless... but it was more a statement along the lines of "You act like a kid all the time and we all glory in it... so I had to give you a little kiddie present eventually!" And I could see me fingerpainting, totally... but not from a kit, and definitely in a spur-of-the-moment, oh-look-tempuras-dip-smear-yay! kind of way. mad D

My best friend has given me some of the results of her craftiness that were perhaps less than stellar, but they're cute because they come from her, and I know she expects me not to like them... since they're usually seasonal, I tuck them away and pull them out on occasion during the appropriate holidays and tuck them somewhere for a smile. smile  

kamiyra

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff