~~ I need help!!! SCAdians UNITE!!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:30 am
Okay, so here's the thing,

Every year I volunteer at a Roman Catholic Family Camp thing... ~shivers~ Yes, I know, I actually do this every year.... I think I'm slightly masochistic gonk

I do it for the kids okay? The first year I went I got guilted into it stare and after that I kept going because the kids are cute! ... Loud and annoying... but cute! 3nodding And "They like me! They really like me!" (Sorry, had to throw that in there) rofl

Anyways, every year everyone gets together on the last night before everyone leaves, and we have a talent show. Seeing as my only talent really is singing - so that's what I do.

I've kinda... run out of songs ... that are good for my range, that I like, that I can sing, that are appropriate (yeaaahhh that last one cut out a LOOOTTT of songs >.>)

And so I thought "Hey, I can go as Medb! ... Though I'll have to be careful with the corset and the cleavage sweatdrop But it's Do-able. .... But ... what to do as Medb?" eek

And so this is where I am. I can't exactly just appear in garb, call myself Medb, and leave! sweatdrop

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do as Medb, would be Adult-with-little-children-approved! ninja
I was thinking on trying to find a song or two that would be period (that I can find music for), and maybe a story or something.... sweatdrop I'm really at a loss here! rofl

Ideas? Suggestions? ....Help? gonk heart  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:29 pm
why not show them some of the chainmail jewlary you do?  

north_of_nita

3,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:14 am
I know this may make a lot of history buffs out there cringe but you could tell a really "dumbed down" version of Beowulf.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:13 pm
north_of_nita
why not show them some of the chainmail jewlary you do?

I would, but it's more of a 'stand up and perform' type thing. I was thinking after (if I have my chainmail by then) to show some of the older kids.  

Naito_Mitsukai

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:17 pm
Dema
I know this may make a lot of history buffs out there cringe but you could tell a really "dumbed down" version of Beowulf.

That's actually already crossed my mind ... but it's SOOOOOO LOOONNGG!!! But I was actually thinking about it. Trying to write-up a kiddy-type story. Last year I read a story (about a dragon and a princess) That I kinda stole from Gwen! sweatdrop
I'd asked her if she could e-mail me it, but she didn't reply to me in time, so I tried to remember what she wrote, and sort of made-up the rest! sweatdrop

The kids LOVED it ... so I'm thinking of trying to do another one ... maybe! sweatdrop

But I really need to find a song as well stare *Keeps looking*

You see ... I can't read music very well. If there are instruments playing - other people singing, and I have the music and words infront of me, I can kind of wing it - but I can't learn unless I've heard it before! >.< So I'm trying to find something with a simple tune, that I can find music to. Because I have to learn this before the end of July! And I HATE HATE HATE performing while reading off paper or something. I feel like it ruins part of it! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:22 pm
Naito_Mitsukai
Dema

That's actually already crossed my mind ... but it's SOOOOOO LOOONNGG!!! But I was actually thinking about it. Trying to write-up a kiddy-type story. Last year I read a story (about a dragon and a princess) That I kinda stole from Gwen! sweatdrop
I'd asked her if she could e-mail me it, but she didn't reply to me in time, so I tried to remember what she wrote, and sort of made-up the rest! sweatdrop

The kids LOVED it ... so I'm thinking of trying to do another one ... maybe! sweatdrop

You see ... I can't read music very well. If there are instruments playing - other people singing, and I have the music and words infront of me, I can kind of wing it - but I can't learn unless I've heard it before! >.< So I'm trying to find something with a simple tune, that I can find music to. Because I have to learn this before the end of July! And I HATE HATE HATE performing while reading off paper or something. I feel like it ruins part of it! sweatdrop

Yeah Beowulf is hellishly long >.< if I had the time and the computer access I'd go through it and bastardize it for you but I don't, so I can't gonk  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:19 pm
Dema
Naito_Mitsukai
Dema

Yeah Beowulf is hellishly long >.< if I had the time and the computer access I'd go through it and bastardize it for you but I don't, so I can't gonk

Aww, thanks for the sentiment though Dema!! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:26 pm
I was going to suggest "Twa Corbies" to sing, -I know, I know!- I was thinking, 'Hey, it's period! And the tune is on Cantaria, in case she doesn't know it!"

Aaaand then I remembered that it's about the poor Knight who's been deserted by his hawk, his hounds, and his lady, and how the Corbies are going to eat him. Not quite child appropriate.. eek sweatdrop  

KariudoMegami

[Shall.We.Blaspheme]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:57 pm
I have no clue about whats going on, but I will say this.

Heavy like cleavage  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:38 am
KariudoMegami
I was going to suggest "Twa Corbies" to sing, -I know, I know!- I was thinking, 'Hey, it's period! And the tune is on Cantaria, in case she doesn't know it!"

Aaaand then I remembered that it's about the poor Knight who's been deserted by his hawk, his hounds, and his lady, and how the Corbies are going to eat him. Not quite child appropriate.. eek sweatdrop

Hmm ... could you send me the link anyways please? 3nodding I can take a look, and maybe it could work ... maybe? sweatdrop

~is slightly desperate at this point!~ rofl  

Naito_Mitsukai

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:53 pm
You see, I was thinking about archery, but obviously that won't work - too dangerous, no where to do it, and wouldn't be able to do it for the 'talent show'

And I was trying to come up with stories I could tell, but the only one that came to mind was beowulf -.-;; And it's too long, and I don't have the patience to sit down, and try to make it a children's story! =(

And I was thinking about songs ... but I'd want them to be period ones or really really well known SCA ones, but the only ones I was coming up with were 'Naughty Young Maids of An Tir', and 'Greensleves' ... I just don't want to try and sing old english! >.> Otherwise greensleves would be okay-ish.

And then I ran out of ideas!! >.< So I'm at a loss at the moment.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:21 pm
Naito_Mitsukai
You see, I was thinking about archery, but obviously that won't work - too dangerous, no where to do it, and wouldn't be able to do it for the 'talent show'

And I was trying to come up with stories I could tell, but the only one that came to mind was beowulf -.-;; And it's too long, and I don't have the patience to sit down, and try to make it a children's story! =(

And I was thinking about songs ... but I'd want them to be period ones or really really well known SCA ones, but the only ones I was coming up with were 'Naughty Young Maids of An Tir', and 'Greensleves' ... I just don't want to try and sing old english! >.> Otherwise greensleves would be okay-ish.

And then I ran out of ideas!! >.< So I'm at a loss at the moment.
Well, there's alot more SCA-related songs than Naughty Young Maids of An Tir-- and many of them are more childern-friendly. Not all filks are dirty, after all. The Ballad of Pennsic IV is pretty good for kids, if you allow for the fact the word "Broadsword" in in the chorus. Or maybe "The I am Not a Ninja Polka" or "Dancer's Vanity", or something else by Yang the Naseating. Or you could teach them how to filk, and get them to filk a song about themselves.

Or you could teach them a dance. If you can get a copy of Blackmore's Knight's "All For One", you get a pretty good copy of the Maltese brawl.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:04 pm
I have that song, and I love that song! biggrin

But Umm .... sweatdrop I don't know how to dance .... never been taught.

And I know there are many, MAAANNYY other well know SCA songs out there, and many are children friendly, but I don't really know any, especially not any that I could sing acapella! sweatdrop

Lord Wylfred suggested that I explain the origin of certain words and/or phrases that don't make as much sence now.
ie: over the threshold, etc.
But again ... talent show! sweatdrop so, I don't know, maybe! Lucky I have until the middle of July, eh? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:35 am
Naito_Mitsukai
I have that song, and I love that song! biggrin

But Umm .... sweatdrop I don't know how to dance .... never been taught.

And I know there are many, MAAANNYY other well know SCA songs out there, and many are children friendly, but I don't really know any, especially not any that I could sing acapella! sweatdrop

Lord Wylfred suggested that I explain the origin of certain words and/or phrases that don't make as much sence now.
ie: over the threshold, etc.
But again ... talent show! sweatdrop so, I don't know, maybe! Lucky I have until the middle of July, eh? sweatdrop
Well... would you be interested in learning how to dance?  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers